Charging bike-light batteries while driving?....
    Riding towards Delmarva.

Charging bike-light batteries while driving?....

On a multi day/night event next year, I'm wondering about using the cigarette lighter to charge my bike-light batteries during the day. The vehicle will be driving during this charging period.

I've heard they make inverters for this sort of thing. Anyone know anything about such a set-up?

I have various lights from Light-and-Motion and Performance.
    "Anyone can ride fast downhill."
    me

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRex
    On a multi day/night event next year, I'm wondering about using the cigarette lighter to charge my bike-light batteries during the day. The vehicle will be driving during this charging period.

I've heard they make inverters for this sort of thing. Anyone know anything about such a set-up?

I have various lights from Light-and-Motion and Performance.
    I use these to charge my batteries, run a laptop, whatever:

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=9

Works great for me!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wipeout
    I use these to charge my batteries, run a laptop, whatever:

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=9

Works great for me!
    I use the same solution. As long as the cars running it won't be a problem. It might very well drain your battery if not running. In general, most American cars send current to the lighter when the car is off, most Japenese cars do not and I have no idea about European cars. I think my old Volkswagon did, but that was the 80's, things have likely changed.

Scot
    Scot Gore, Minneapolis

Big is relative
    I have used my 500W inverter to charge my NR NiMH battery while driving. I don't know off the top of my head what the current draw would be on a non-running car battery, but I could number crunch it. I would just fail safe and do it while the engine runs. I have a smaller inverter that I keep in my computer bag when I travel. I believe it is 200W. FYI, Hawaiian Air and many United Airlines planes don't have adapter plugs. Delta is pretty good.
    Retired sailor

Who needs a map?
    Inverters are pretty handy - I've used mine to charge my cell phone, and on a road trip you can plug in your laptop with a gps and get a realtime plot of your route. (you could do that with one of those new-fangled gizmos too, but when all you got is a lap top and gps it works fine). You can't run high-draw devices (microwaves, heating elements, etc), but other than that they work great.

I hardwired mine in to my truck. I ran a decent gauge automotive wire directly from the battery, and then put in a relay that is controlled by a separate circuit that is off when the ignition is off. That way, I don't have to worry about it being left on accidentally. It also looks nicer because it's under the seat and all the wires are hidden.
    "If we're to be honest with ourselves, achieving the end of the exercise was never the point of the exercise, was it?"
    ~Adam Savage