Cold weather lube question
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Question Cold weather lube question

Here in Denver it's 20-30 every morning and 30-40 in the evening. I have a lube question. Having lived in Hawaii for the last 11 years, tempature has played no part in the type of lube or frequency of application.

What are peoples thoughts on chain lube and others in this 'colder' climate?

Thanks!

Tim

Mar 2005
    I don't really have a timeline for how often or type. More important in colder temperatures is making sure everything drivetrainwise stays clean.

Quote Originally Posted by theacox
    Here in Denver it's 20-30 every morning and 30-40 in the evening. I have a lube question. Having lived in Hawaii for the last 11 years, tempature has played no part in the type of lube or frequency of application.

What are peoples thoughts on chain lube and others in this 'colder' climate?

Thanks!

Tim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Thin is in

Temperature has no impact on frequency of lubrication. However, especially for chains and shifters, you want to go with lower viscosity lubes. Things like wax lubes on the chain are going to be very stiff at lower temps - switch to ProLink or homebrew (1 part oil in 3-4 parts odorless mineral spirits). If your shifters/cables start acting sluggish, then look at something like ProLink as a low viscosity alternative.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by delay
    I don't really have a timeline for how often or type. More important in colder temperatures is making sure everything drivetrainwise stays clean.
    I've been using Dumonde Tech lube for a couple years and it's quite light. Now that winter is here, I've ordered their lighter viscosity formula from bikesmart.com.