Cygolite DASH?

Thread: Cygolite DASH?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Cygolite DASH?

When I commute, especially in the spring and fall, sometimes I'm on the road for 15-30 min before the sun comes up. I'm in town for that time, so the roads are generally lit, but with a few dark patches. The whole commute is around 80 min. So I need a "see" light for around 15-30 min, and then it becomes a "be seen light" for another 30 min.

I have a Cygolite Expilion 700, which I like for a lot of reasons. Bright, well built, good battery life, rechargeable. I originally bought it to put on my helmet, but it just got uncomfortable, so I switched it to my handlebars.

The biggest gripe I have with it is that on bumps, it rotates down and faces the ground, so I have to readjust it a few times every ride.

I'm thinking about the Cygolite Dash 520. I know this isn't as bright, but it has a strap mount, and it's shorter and lighter, so I'm hoping it will stay in place better. They also make the Dash Pro 600 which has the advantage of being brighter, but it's longer, so I'm afraid it will tilt down as well.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these lights?

Thank you!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I don't commute much these days, but I do keep a Cygolite Dash on my handlebars for rides that start early or end late.

I have mine hanging under the bars rather than on top, and havn't noticed any problems with it rotating.

It's a pretty light weight unit, but the bar strap is towards the back, so I suppose with rough roads or big bumps it might rotate down a bit, but I haven't noticed it being a problem for me.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    When I commute, especially in the spring and fall, sometimes I'm on the road for 15-30 min before the sun comes up. I'm in town for that time, so the roads are generally lit, but with a few dark patches. The whole commute is around 80 min. So I need a "see" light for around 15-30 min, and then it becomes a "be seen light" for another 30 min.

I have a Cygolite Expilion 700, which I like for a lot of reasons. Bright, well built, good battery life, rechargeable. I originally bought it to put on my helmet, but it just got uncomfortable, so I switched it to my handlebars.

The biggest gripe I have with it is that on bumps, it rotates down and faces the ground, so I have to readjust it a few times every ride.

I'm thinking about the Cygolite Dash 520. I know this isn't as bright, but it has a strap mount, and it's shorter and lighter, so I'm hoping it will stay in place better. They also make the Dash Pro 600 which has the advantage of being brighter, but it's longer, so I'm afraid it will tilt down as well.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these lights?

Thank you!
    I suggest checking the mounting of your Expilion light, if it's rotating enough to have to readjust so much. I have a couple of the Expilions, and I've found the mounting system to be rock-solid. I don't have experience with Cygolite's strap-mounted products, but it seems to me that a strap would be more prone to rotating down than mounts used on Expilions.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. Iím fód.Ē

RoadBikeReview Member
    Can you shim it a bit with a wrap of handlebar tape so the clamp is tighter? The tape should make a crush fit that may hold it tight enough so that it doesn't twist.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've never had an issue with my cygolite expilion mounts rotating. You shouldn't need to shim it, all of mine have gaps at the closure when clamped on the bar. Is your bar a 31.8mm? I'd try replacing the mount or using carbon pasted on it before I changed lights, that's a nice light.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

Russian Troll Farmer
    To keep accessories from 'rotating', you need to put an underlay of Friction Tape, available at any hardware store. I use it under my bar tape as well; gives a bit of extra padding, but it keeps the tape from shifting as well. Holds the cables in their spot, also.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've used the Dashes for years. The 350 and the 450. I really like them. so many modes, and very small so it is easy to bring in carry-on when flying. However I do not commute by bike, I just use it to- be-seen in daytime with a flashing white, and after dark to-see if my ride ends after sundown. 350/450 is just enough light to-see, so a 500+ would be even better
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    To keep accessories from 'rotating', you need to put an underlay of Friction Tape, available at any hardware store.
    Was ready to suggest friction tape when I saw it already suggested.

The first time I purchased it I was in a Home Depot store and asked where I could find it. Three of the employees had no idea what "friction" tape was and I wasn't sure I was calling it by the correct name. Eventually we found it near the electrical tape. Works very well to keep things from rotating from vibrations and/or bumps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Thatís a great idea. Iíll pick some up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk