Dinner with Arby
    Go Blue

Dinner with Arby

Arby, who once was a prolific poster on this forum when he lived in Baltimore, has posted less frequently in recent years and now lives in New York. I had not seen Arby in about two years although we have kept in touch. He was on his way to DC last night via Amtrak and stopped in Baltimore for dinner. I picked him up at the train station and we went to Zeytin's husband's restaurant for dinner. By coincidence, Zeytin was there and spotted us.

It was great catching up with Arby and seeing Zeytin. I first met Arby back in 2004 when I spotted the building in which I work in one of his ride reports. He passed near my building almost every day on his commute and eventually we got together for a ride. At that time, Arby was was young and living on the edge back then. We laughed last night about how "some sketchy dude" (Arby's words) and I came to become friends. Eventually, Arby was a regular guest at my house -- he would stop by on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon while on a long ride and eat all of the leftovers in the refrigerator. But, alas, Arby grew up, got married and moved to New York. The guy that I once had to lend a dress shirt because he was going to a funeral and did not own one, now has a responsible job for a multinational corporation and was traveling to DC on business to meet with a government agency. He was better dressed than I was last night. It is great to see Arby, all grown up and successful. But, I have to admit, I miss the old Arby, who went everywhere on his bike, lived on the edge of downtown in a tiny studio apartment where I could stop by on my way home for bike repairs and chronicled the streets of my hometown on this forum. Arby has removed a lot of his photos from his posts. But, here are some links to the kind of stuff that he used to share with us regularly.

Here is a rare, recent report from New York
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=214299

This is the kind of stuff he did when he was in Baltimore.
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=90102
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=46416
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=22642

He also did occastional rides outside of the city.
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=62892

And, here is a link to the first Christmas light ride in 2004
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=21211
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Cheese is my copilot
    Rats. No roadkill rats.
    Life is better in the big ring.

http://theclemencyblog.blogspot.com/

Non non normal
    Thanks for the invite?? You and Zeytin are getting crossed off the Christmas list

I had the fun time of riding around on a fixed gear with Arby and another RBRer a few years back in good old Baltimore. Fun time.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

JP
    Lizzie will ride free
    Arby always posts the good stuff. Good to hear all is well.
    "Another shot of the 6th Street Bridge. I guess I'm feeling sentimental because word is they're going to tear it down and build a replacement." DrRoebuck

http://subterraneanhomesickrandonneurblues.blogspot.com

Go Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider
    Thanks for the invite?? You and Zeytin are getting crossed off the Christmas list

I had the fun time of riding around on a fixed gear with Arby and another RBRer a few years back in good old Baltimore. Fun time.

Actually, you could have had cocktails with Arby. His train was late because the engine had trouble and they sat at Aberdeen for about 50 minutes. He will be making more trips to DC, so there will be other opportunities to get together. Also, would you be available for a Hampden Christmas light ride on Sunday, December 12?

Go Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Rats. No roadkill rats.
    Here are two for you.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...highlight=rats

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...highlight=rats
    Attached Images Attached Images

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    I miss Arby.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Non non normal
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    Actually, you could have had cocktails with Arby. His train was late because the engine had trouble and they sat at Aberdeen for about 50 minutes. He will be making more trips to DC, so there will be other opportunities to get together. Also, would you be available for a Hampden Christmas light ride on Sunday, December 12?

I am a strong maybe for the 12th.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I dislike possums.

Go Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno
    I dislike possums.
    Those no possums. Those are genuine Norway Rats, also known as sewer rats. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_rat

scruffy nerf herder
    I don't really know how one has "FUN" riding around with arby, especially on a fixie.

That dude is half crazy. He like jumps curbs and blows stopsigns, and beats on passing cars and goes in between traffic...and he does all that while using one hand to talk on a cellphone on those bumpy ass Baltimore roads. That dude has skillz... not a riding style that I would either adopt myself or suggest to someone I cared about, but interesting and and borderline dangerous. But that, I suppose, was just his persona and style. Glad to hear he is all growed up. I think you are just glad he is further from your daughters.
    so sayeth the funk....

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The RBR Lounge. You won't ever find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be cautious."

Go Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by funknuggets
    I don't really know how one has "FUN" riding around with arby, especially on a fixie.

That dude is half crazy. He like jumps curbs and blows stopsigns, and beats on passing cars and goes in between traffic...and he does all that while using one hand to talk on a cellphone on those bumpy ass Baltimore roads. That dude has skillz... not a riding style that I would either adopt myself or suggest to someone I cared about, but interesting and and borderline dangerous. But that, I suppose, was just his persona and style. Glad to hear he is all growed up. I think you are just glad he is further from your daughters.
    When I take off my rose colored glasses through which I remember those halcyon days, I have to admit that your recollections are pretty accurate. My only quibble would be with your saying that Arby was "half crazy." Back in the day he was about 90% crazy. There still is some craziness left in the guy, but a lot less than you would remember.

remodeling...me

Christmas Ride Please!

It was very random to walk out of the kitchen and see you two. I was there to decorate for the holidays and meet up with a friend.
    It was strange to see Arby all business-looking. I think the first time I rode with him was when we all did the 1st Christmas ride and I kept stopping at the lights and he'd blow through. Remember when that guy yelled at us about our, "bicycle gang" and my bike all decked out in Christmas lights... good times.
    He also helped me with technical advice when I was building my first single speed.

I'd love to restart that tradition and the 12th is great! I still have my lights around here somewhere.....
    Zeytin

"Wow, Alex...way to pee in the guy's Wheaties..." ~Opus51569

Go Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by zeytin
    It was very random to walk out of the kitchen and see you two. I was there to decorate for the holidays and meet up with a friend.
    It was strange to see Arby all business-looking. I think the first time I rode with him was when we all did the 1st Christmas ride and I kept stopping at the lights and he'd blow through. Remember when that guy yelled at us about our, "bicycle gang" and my bike all decked out in Christmas lights... good times.
    He also helped me with technical advice when I was building my first single speed.

I'd love to restart that tradition and the 12th is great! I still have my lights around here somewhere.....

The 12th it will be. I will post something tomorrow.

your text here
    i miss arby. he inspired me to ride to work a few times. and convert a bike to a fixie back then.

his posts were always insightful and photos incredible.

if you see him, tell him a guy he never met says hello.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    arby sold out to corporate america? fizzzzzzzle
    Bring back the Podium Girls!