Doh moment ... Panaracer Pasela tires
    RoadBikeReview Member

Doh moment ... Panaracer Pasela tires

I installed some Panaracer Pasela TGs on my commuter bike a couple of weeks ago but removed them after two days because my bike felt so much slower. Actually, it wasn't just a feeling -- my average speed those two days was about 2 mph slower than usual.

I got to looking at the Panaracers over the weekend and realized that they have a directional arrow on the sidewalls. They actually are supposed to be mounted with the tread facing a certain direction -- the opposite of how I had installed them. I always install my tires so the decal lines up with the valve on the quick release side of my bike, so I can more easily locate holes in tubes when I get a flat. Turns out that the tread was facing backwards when I mounted the tires my usual way.

I've never used bike tires before than had directional treads. Is this common? I've always used Michelins and other tires without much tread and no directional requirements. BTW, my bike definitely rolled a lot smoother and faster with the tires turned the right way.

(I also posted this thread in the Wheels and Tires forum.)

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    It is fairly common with mountain bike tires, less so with road tires but as you now know such tires do exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Misfit Toy
    Hmmm, I'd better go check mine.....
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

duh...
    isn't it more typical to line up the decals on the driveside?

banned from the museum
    Aug 2007
    I have a hard time believing that tires on backwards would result in a 2mph difference.

I'm not saying it didn't, I'm just saying it would surprise me, that's all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Someone had to say what we were all thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by My Own Private Idaho
    I have a hard time believing that tires on backwards would result in a 2mph difference.

I'm not saying it didn't, I'm just saying it would surprise me, that's all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    To clarify, I don't think the tires caused me to go 2 mph slower, but it wasn't just my imagination that they were slower. Part of the "recorded" lower speed was due not resetting my bike computer for the larger tires. Plus, it was hot and I was kind of dragging on those days. But I've ridden enough miles on various tires and wheels to notice when my bike is rolling slower, and it definitely felt much slower. And I felt a noticeable difference in speed today with the tires turned the correct direction.