Getting uncomfortable on the saddle...
    pi makes wheels go round

Getting uncomfortable on the saddle...

I commute about 45 minutes each way, now 5 days a week, plus rec rides on the weekends. I find that i have a hard time keep the tushie from getting tender. It obviously isn't unbearable, but what are practical tips for keeping the bum comfortable (ie. saddle sores) when you don't take any time off a bike?

Thanks,
    -Damon

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by damon
    I commute about 45 minutes each way, now 5 days a week, plus rec rides on the weekends. I find that i have a hard time keep the tushie from getting tender. It obviously isn't unbearable, but what are practical tips for keeping the bum comfortable (ie. saddle sores) when you don't take any time off a bike?

Thanks,
    -Damon
    A couple of tips

1. Try to avoid saddles that have a lot of stitching or seams
    2. Make sure the seam on your shorts doesn't sit on a seam on the saddle. Some short/saddle combinations just don't work.
    3. Try standing up more when you ride. If you remain seated your entire ride, your butt will get sore. A couple of times during your ride, shift to a harder gear. It will make you get up out of the saddle
    4. Give it some more time. I've spent so much time in the saddle this year, my butt has calluses. Nothing like hard skin to prevent saddle sores
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

pi makes wheels go round
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    A couple of tips

1. Try to avoid saddles that have a lot of stitching or seams
    2. Make sure the seam on your shorts doesn't sit on a seam on the saddle. Some short/saddle combinations just don't work.
    3. Try standing up more when you ride. If you remain seated your entire ride, your butt will get sore. A couple of times during your ride, shift to a harder gear. It will make you get up out of the saddle
    4. Give it some more time. I've spent so much time in the saddle this year, my butt has calluses. Nothing like hard skin to prevent saddle sores
    Cool, thanks for the tips... only my mountain bike has lots of seams (stock saddle), but all my other bikes have seats that are as smooth as a baby's... well, at least smoother than mine. My shorts are typcally cheap baggies that need replacement soon (wearing saddle holes in the fabric!!). I'm already a masher, so i think i need to work on spinning more, actually ;-). I think your last bit is probably the key... any more tips to build up calluses quicker? Sandpaper? Nude midnight rides to really roughen up the skin? ;-)