Horsetooth Reservoir loop
    abominable slowman

Horsetooth Reservoir loop

Been venturing out and exploring our new environs here in Colorado. This week brought great weather, and I finally managed to get out during daylight today. I did a loop from our house in Fort Collins, up into the first foothills that help form and contain Horsetooth Reservoir (named for a rocky peak up above, a picture of which I surprisingly do not have). This is decent size reservoir to the west of Fort Collins. I started out on one of the many MUTs around here. Took that for a couple miles and then headed west to the foothills.

My approach.

It's not that big of climb. About 200 feet according to Google Earth. It was brutal the first time I did it, but my body is adjusting to the altitude nicely. At the the top of this climb with some nice views:

The road traverses the ridge that forms the eastern shore of the reservoir. With some ups and downs:

One of the many things I love about this place is the sky. Big sky (I know, that's Montana, but it's good here too)

I rode all the way to the north end of the reservoir and then took a detour up the road to Lory State Park, to add a few more miles. More sky, more red rock:

We hiked at Lory State Park last month after a nice snowfall...that was purty:

Anyway, I made my way back into town from the north. Found my MUT and headed home, but not before encountering one of our trains, which come through town several times a day. The MUT goes under so bikers don't have to wait.

Cold and snow returning tomorrow. Time to break out the XC skis again (actually, we'll be in Virginia for the weekend).

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Thanks for the memories!

I was out to Loveland and Ft. Collins last July and August. I enjoyed coming up through Masonville and around Horsetooth Reservoir. With a nice, southwest wind that day, it was a nice big-ring run along the east side.

If you haven't already, you should hook up with the Club Hypoxia people. They're a great bunch of folks. I enjoyed all my rides with them last summer.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Looks nice.

Wouldn't mind seeing some of that snow soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

duh...
    horsetooth is where that news helicopter crashed many yrs back, isn't it?

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    Looks nice.

Wouldn't mind seeing some of that snow soon.
    No prob at all. We could arrange that. There's still 14" on the ground here in Ohio.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    horsetooth is where that news helicopter crashed many yrs back, isn't it?
    Good memory..
    Sept. 8, 1994. A 9NEWS helicopter crashed on Pikes Peak. Pilot Art Hill, reporter Lynette Romero and photographer Kirk Selby suffered minor injuries.
    Feb. 12, 1992. A 9NEWS chopper crashed into Horsetooth Reservoir. The news helicopter was flying in a thick fog over the reservoir, west of Fort Collins, when the engine failed. Pilot Peter Peelgrane, 46, survived the crash, but two passengers died. Peelgrane died three years later from brain injuries that he suffered during the crash.
    Oct. 19, 1988. A 9NEWS helicopter crashed after snagging a power line in western Douglas County, killing pilot-reporter Leo Galanis and chief photographer Brian Hostetler. Fog, rain and pilot errors were probable causes of the accident, according to the National Transportation Safety Board.
    Sept. 6, 1984. A 9NEWS helicopter crash landed into Cherry Creek. Pilot Ben Locke crash-landed and the two reporters aboard were injured.
    Dec. 3, 1983. A 9NEWS chopper crashed in thick fog, landing in a field near Fort Morgan. Two of the three people on board were slightly injured.
    Dec. 7, 1982. A NEWS 4 helicopter crashed in a snowstorm south of Larkspur. Pilot Karen Key and aviation mechanic Larry Zane were killed. The National Transportation Safety Board said alcohol and poor judgment by the pilot were responsible.
    April 8, 1980. A 9NEWS helicopter made a forced landing in deep snow. Pilot ''Jug'' Hill sustained minor injuries when a gust of wind forced his helicopter into a tree in the Chambers Lake area near Fort Collins.

BTW, horestooth looks like a nice ride.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

duh...
    horsetooth is a nice rice... but damn, didn't realize 9news crashed so much. I thought it was kcnc/4 that went down into horsetooth

SRV
    Quadrogenarian
    I don't think I'd like to be a 9NEWS helicopter reporter.

Beautiful ride OP.