lookin for an ideal commuting bike

Jan 2003

lookin for an ideal commuting bike

hi,
    i've been commuting regularly(around 45min on a fast pace. twice a day) w/ my one and only road bike. i've been toying w/ the idea of adding another bike.. somedays, the short chainstays and tight wheelbase of the roadbike do some beating on my slightly old body. the streets around are bad, very bad.. so i thought of a something with longer cs. i live in another country than the US, and not in europe so ebay is not easy. otherwise i would look for a 70's racer or tourer and both are hard to get around here.
    i'm thinking of a gunnar sport... it's in my price range and it's not a full on tourer. i want to keep some quickness in the handling and acceleration. any other bikes i should look for?
    thanks
    www.flaviocolker.com.br
    i am in love w/a black woman.

RoadBikeReview Member

surly

surly makes a steel touring frame,the long haul trucker as they call it, that seems to be getting lots of love from those who've ridden it. cheap and any shop with QBP can get it for you.

Commuter
    Like the last poster mentioned, Surly makes good frames for commuting.

The Long Haul Trucker (LHT) is their new tourer frame. Long wheelbase and rack eyelets galore for anything you want to add to it. The headtube extends higher above the seat tube so you can have taller handlebar height without running a ton of spacers or using an extreme angle stem.

The Cross Check is still a great frame for commuting too, quicker handling than the LHT, but still slower than a typical road bike.

Bianchi makes the Castro Valley this year. It's basically a touring bike with a 1x9 drivetrain meant for commuter. The cool thing is that it comes with a Shimano Dynamo front hub that powers a 12watt headlight.

My tips are:
    - Steel Frame
    - Long wheelbase
    - 28c or fatter tires
    - Rear rack

RoadBikeReview Member

the castro valley

that looks like a very cool bike. it was in bicycling mag or something last month. if I didn't have a crosscheck already I'd be all over that.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    hi,
    i've been commuting regularly(around 45min on a fast pace. twice a day) w/ my one and only road bike. i've been toying w/ the idea of adding another bike.. somedays, the short chainstays and tight wheelbase of the roadbike do some beating on my slightly old body. the streets around are bad, very bad.. so i thought of a something with longer cs. i live in another country than the US, and not in europe so ebay is not easy. otherwise i would look for a 70's racer or tourer and both are hard to get around here.
    i'm thinking of a gunnar sport... it's in my price range and it's not a full on tourer. i want to keep some quickness in the handling and acceleration. any other bikes i should look for?
    thanks
    Ideal commuting bike? Probably a MTB or touring bike with ability to use wide tires and racks. A beater fills the bill well. Something you don't mind riding in bad weather or leaving out in the rain once in a while. If someone stole it you wouldn't be heartbroken--though usually ugly enough so nobody would want it anyway. Scour the local thrift stores. You may find something that fits the bill for cheap.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Commuter
    Good advice. A thrift store bike is ideal if you want something that jackers will overlook and won't be sad if you have to lock it up somewhere sketchy or out in foul weather.

My beater commuter is a late 90's Centurion Accordo that's been simplified to a 1x9 drivetrain. I run a 42t in the front and a 12-34t mtn bike cassette in the rear for a wide range.

I wrapped the tubes in duct tape because the original paint was a hideous turquoise color popular back in those daze.

Oct 2003

Try Bikes not bombs

www.bikesnotbombs.org
    They are based in Boston. Carl heads up the program and is a former Cat 2 track and general cyclist. You can get a hell of a lot more there for a heck of a lot less.

My suggestions
    Chro-mo frame or aluminum
    28 or better Armadillos
    Gel bar tape

Blow money on a fizik saddle, they are way comfortable and, at 1.5 hours a day you should take care of your prostate. Imagine if your car seat was shaped like that.

Jan 2003
    lots of good ideas here. many thx. i'll look for an old tourer(or a 70's racer) and a brooks saddle. i'll keep the 23c tires. maybe raise the bar so i sit in the back of the saddle and don't expose the prostate too much for the banging from bad pavement..
    www.flaviocolker.com.br
    i am in love w/a black woman.