This morning's commute photos.
    RoadBikeReview Member

This morning's commute photos.

Morning folks,

Most of you are still grobbling over this huge jeans vs lycra issue I've seemed to have started. Pretty funny. I only commute 5 miles to work and don't feel the need for the full lycra get up. I'm comfy, warm and enjoy my rides to & from work. I'd enjoy my rides into work if I were wearing a frilly tu-tu or even a huge trench coat - so long as I was comfy. Thanks for all the input on how to dress for commuting, but I've been riding for half of my life now and I think I've got it under control. All I was trying to do with that post was throw some humor into the message board. Yikes!

Here are some of this morning's photos. I've weeded out all silly content from these photos.

RB

This is Baltimore at 6:45am::::::
    Attached Images Attached Images
    phattire.net
    urban photography

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004

Dressing

Quote Originally Posted by Arby
    Morning folks,

Most of you are still grobbling over this huge jeans vs lycra issue I've seemed to have started. Pretty funny. I only commute 5 miles to work and don't feel the need for the full lycra get up. I'm comfy, warm and enjoy my rides to & from work. I'd enjoy my rides into work if I were wearing a frilly tu-tu or even a huge trench coat - so long as I was comfy. Thanks for all the input on how to dress for commuting, but I've been riding for half of my life now and I think I've got it under control. All I was trying to do with that post was throw some humor into the message board. Yikes!

Here are some of this morning's photos. I've weeded out all silly content from these photos.

RB

Nice pics, as always. On Sunday it was pretty cool here in NY and I wanted to ride my bike to the gym. Wore my jeans and threw my gym stuff in a pack. Sneakers on my feet. Yea, so I look like a dork. Rode my MTB there. Got a funny look from a guy on a road bike. Effum........

Cheese is my copilot
    I'd enjoy my rides into work if I were wearing a frilly tu-tu or even a huge trench coat
    Get pics of that, would you? On second thought, maybe that's not such a good idea.

I like commute photos:

remodeling...me

Thumbs up As always, great picts

Once again, those shots are great. Were you riding on 83 for a few of those?
    Zeytin

"Wow, Alex...way to pee in the guy's Wheaties..." ~Opus51569

RoadBikeReview Member

yep exactly

Quote Originally Posted by zeytin
    Once again, those shots are great. Were you riding on 83 for a few of those?
    Yep, you got it. I only stopped over at the 83 overpass to catch the sunrise. I usually am not on it at all. More photos tomorrow morning most likely.

RB
    phattire.net
    urban photography

Go Blue

One of these days I'll have to see Balto. at sunrise

Morning folks,

My usual commuting schedule is to leave the house late enough for most of morning rush hour traffic to pass and to leave the office to return home well after the afternoon rush hour. The benefit in the morning is that it is a lot warmer when I leave than when you do. This morning it was below 30 degrees at my house at 6:45. When I left the house a little after 8:00, it already was in the 40s. Of course, I have to deal with the darkness on the way home. My last five miles are on a road (Hillside Road) without any lights whatsoever. This evening, my headlight battery ran out of juice (I thought that I had recharged it yesterday), there was no visible moon and I had to give in and call home for a rescue pickup after I had ridden for about a mile and almost hit a tree branch. I guess that lights are not too much of a problem for you -- the street lights are fairly bright along your whole commute.

It took me a few seconds to figure out that the photo in which you can be seen is of a reflection in one of the windows on the base of One Charles Center.

I did a Topo profile of what I think is the route of your commute. Your photo of Wilkens Avenue confirms that you have some climbing at the end of your morning commute. My ride is the opposite of yours -- largely downhill in the morning and uphill on the way home.

Looking forward to what you have in store for us tomorrow.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Travels by Map
    Just to revisit the jeans issue, I don't care either way. I'm relatively new to the whole tights and jerseys thing, and I definitely do it for the comfort rather than the looks. If I bike to the subway rather than the whole way to work, I use my old bike with platform pedals and wear my work clothes which are generally sneakers, jeans, and a polo shirt. Whatever makes you most comfortable and is most convenient is definitely the way to go.

Nice pictures! One of these days I'll remember that I want to post a commute report and take my camera to work...

RoadBikeReview Member

not too shabby

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    My usual commuting schedule is to leave the house late enough for most of morning rush hour traffic to pass and to leave the office to return home well after the afternoon rush hour. The benefit in the morning is that it is a lot warmer when I leave than when you do. This morning it was below 30 degrees at my house at 6:45. When I left the house a little after 8:00, it already was in the 40s. Of course, I have to deal with the darkness on the way home. My last five miles are on a road (Hillside Road) without any lights whatsoever. This evening, my headlight battery ran out of juice (I thought that I had recharged it yesterday), there was no visible moon and I had to give in and call home for a rescue pickup after I had ridden for about a mile and almost hit a tree branch. I guess that lights are not too much of a problem for you -- the street lights are fairly bright along your whole commute.

It took me a few seconds to figure out that the photo in which you can be seen is of a reflection in one of the windows on the base of One Charles Center.

I did a Topo profile of what I think is the route of your commute. Your photo of Wilkens Avenue confirms that you have some climbing at the end of your morning commute. My ride is the opposite of yours -- largely downhill in the morning and uphill on the way home.

Looking forward to what you have in store for us tomorrow.
    The ride to and from work for me is really easy. It's, in general, pretty flat. Some small grades near work on Wilkin's but nothing I'd call a hill. It's truly enjoyable to ride to work in the morning though, and after all, isn't that what it's supposed to be? :]

I do not envy your commutes home though... uphill at the end of the day would demoralize me. I'm usually exhausted after work; I run around a warehouse all day.

I'll have to work hard to stump you on a photo from downtown won't I? ... I'll work on that!

That last photo of Wilkin's Ave looking back on downtown shows exactly what we were talking about on our ride last weekend. - how Baltimore is a bowl.

Take care,
    RB
    phattire.net
    urban photography

Go Blue

You may have stumped me

I'll have to work hard to stump you on a photo from downtown won't I? ... I'll work on that!

RB
    I am having trouble figuring out where the clown photo you posted this morning was taken. Based on the faint reflections on the window, it looks like it was taken somewhere in the Mt. Vernon area. The X design on the lower window grills and the eyebrow windows on the buildings across the street look familiar. Also, there aren't too many streets with brick sidewalks. If I were to make a guess right now, I would say that this is on the west side of Park Avenue just above Read Street. The bases for my saying so are: (1) there are houses on Park Avenue that look like the ones in the reflection; (2) if you took the photo in the morning, the shadows in the photo clearly indicate that it is on the north or west side of the street; and (3) if you are facing west with the camera, the car in the reflection is consistent with the direction of traffic on Park Avenue. But, I will have to ride by and look -- I just don't remember seeing the clown faces on Park Avenue and I don't remember there being a brick sidewalk in that block. Give me a day or two to figure this one out before you let me know where it is.

BTW: I rode through your neighborhood on the way home this evening. I had to check out something north of the Baltimore City Schools headquarters, so I rode straight up Calvert Street from Downtown. After I did what I had to do, I continued north on Calvert to University Parkway, to Roland Avenue to Lake Avenue to Falls Road and then on my usual route. I was in your neighborhood about 7:30-7:40. The traffic was not bad for most of the ride and it was a lot better lit than my usual Falls Road route out of downtown. There were some menacing characters around North Avenue, but I survived (and I was wearing lycra, too). The next two days I have to drive to work.
    Last edited by MarkS; 11-17-2004 at 07:25 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member

Stop by if you ever need...

I am having trouble figuring out where the clown photo you posted this morning was taken. Based on the faint reflections on the window, it looks like it was taken somewhere in the Mt. Vernon area. The X design on the lower window grills and the eyebrow windows on the buildings across the street look familiar. Also, there aren't too many streets with brick sidewalks. If I were to make a guess right now, I would say that this is on the west side of Park Avenue just above Read Street. The bases for my saying so are: (1) there are houses on Park Avenue that look like the ones in the reflection; (2) if you took the photo in the morning, the shadows in the photo clearly indicate that it is on the north or west side of the street; and (3) if you are facing west with the camera, the car in the reflection is consistent with the direction of traffic on Park Avenue. But, I will have to ride by and look -- I just don't remember seeing the clown faces on Park Avenue and I don't remember there being a brick sidewalk in that block. Give me a day or two to figure this one out before you let me know where it is.

BTW: I rode through your neighborhood on the way home this evening. I had to check out something north of the Baltimore City Schools headquarters, so I rode straight up Calvert Street from Downtown. After I did what I had to do, I continued north on Calvert to University Parkway, to Roland Avenue to Lake Avenue to Falls Road and then on my usual route. I was in your neighborhood about 7:30-7:40. The traffic was not bad for most of the ride and it was a lot better lit than my usual Falls Road route out of downtown. There were some menacing characters around North Avenue, but I survived (and I was wearing lycra, too). The next two days I have to drive to work.
    Mark,

Feel free to stop in if you ever need anything; food, water, a tube, air, tools etc... I'm at 2631 N. Calvert Street. I'm either there or at Amity's (corner of Howard & Madison).

I had a dark ride home last night through West Baltimore on Wilkens Ave at about 7pm last night. I really hate riding through that area at night. Bass booming cars don't exactly instill a feeling of responsible driving.

About the clown photo... I won't give you a single Hint.

Time to post this morning's photos... no warm sunrise photos this morning.. a little overcast.

It's almost Friday,
    RB
    phattire.net
    urban photography

Go Blue

Found the Clowns

Mark,

About the clown photo... I won't give you a single Hint.

RB
    West side of Howard Street between Monument and Madison. How did I find it? (1) The brick sidewalk -- I know that there aren't too many streets with brick sidewalks; (2) Howard Street has a lot of storefronts that no longer are used as stores; (3) I now know where you hang out when you are not in Charles Village. When I was looking at the photo yesterday, I dismissed it as being on Howard Street because I could not see the light rail overhead wires.

RoadBikeReview Member

elementary mydear watson..

West side of Howard Street between Monument and Madison. How did I find it? (1) The brick sidewalk -- I know that there aren't too many streets with brick sidewalks; (2) Howard Street has a lot of storefronts that no longer are used as stores; (3) I now know where you hang out when you are not in Charles Village. When I was looking at the photo yesterday, I dismissed it as being on Howard Street because I could not see the light rail overhead wires.
    You have a great attention to detail Mark. I'm the same way. That's probably a damned good trait to have given your profession. Mine too; I'm an inspector. Nice work!

Hey, I can bring your booties, ear warmer and windbreaker to work with me tomorrow and perhaps swing by your office anytime after 4 to drop them off for you. What would you like me to do?

Thanks again for those niceties!
    RB
    phattire.net
    urban photography