a new city bike. no, wait, country bike... um, commuter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    banned

a new city bike. no, wait, country bike... um, commuter.

Introducing the Llednevir (that's welsh for "three grand for a commuter is absurd")

I (Brant) believe that 100% of people today are riding the wrong bike. Even if you've got a Llednevir all ready, I (Brant) have changed my mind about what an ideal bike is. So, I (Brant) have created this new bike.

The first thing you might notice about the Llednevir is it's amazing paint job. While it looks like a 1991 trek 850 that I rescued from a dumpster, it's actually a really fancy paint job that just looks like a cheap, chipped up factory job. Why, just leaning the Llednevir against a rusty, jagged signpost will only serve to increase the beausage of this 'mazing 'aint job.

The next thing you'll notice about the Llednevir is the tires. 2" hutchinson slicks on 26" rims, because 26" is the new 650B. You want wide and comfortable and fast? Well, look no further. Unless you were really serious about the fast part.

Because I (brant) now believe that the only proper way to get up a hill is to run along side your bike (see 'lednevir 'eader, 'ssue '7) this bike is geared for a proper hill run. Sporting 50/38 chainrings in the front and a 12-24 seven-speed rear casette, this bike won't be climbing any mountains soon. But, neither should you. I (Brant) have decreed it to be so. Plus, that gearing allowed me to use some old Nuovo Record derailleurs I had sitting in my workshop.

The controls of the bike are old Dia Compe Aero Compe brake levers, which are old and therefore good, and NOS seven speed sun-tour thumb shifters mounted on On-One Midge bars. So far, I (Brant) have really enjoyed riding this 'ombination on 'ingletrack and on the 'oad.

Finally, you'll notice the racks. rather than sourcing these racks from Nitto, I (brant) decided to save about $250 and get them from nashbar. The front rack was nine bucks.

The Bags for this bike will be beautiful. The front bag is a modified boyscout yucca pack. it is superior to all modern front bags because it is: 1. canvas. and 2. Old.

There is no poetry about this bike yet, but I believe there may be some slash/fic on the ibob site.
    Last edited by buck-50; 08-31-2006 at 08:09 AM.

Man, I'm Awesome
    LOL.

I (Brian) almost pissed myself reading this. Thats pretty funny. Nice picks of the bike though. I (Brian again) think it looks nice.

"It's alive!"
    Quote Originally Posted by buck-50
    Introducing the Llednevir (that's welsh for "three grand for a commuter is absurd")...
    Oooo! Can I be your first groupie?! I promise to obey your every commandment unquestioningly and to spit nails at anyone who disagrees with you!

- FBB

PS: I really like the looks of that bike...
    "Cycloculture" - A Journal for Real-World Bicyclists
    http://cycloculture.blogspot.com/

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

I agree with that.

(that's welsh for "three grand for a commuter is absurd")
    We would never commute on a bike that costs less than $4K.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

"It's alive!"
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    We would never commute on a bike that costs less than $4K.
    You're in luck!! I've got a garage full of bikes that I would be willing to part with for $4K/each. Can you fit on a 68cm frame?

- FBB

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

No but Miss M could likely fit under one.

Quote Originally Posted by fbagatelleblack
    ....Can you fit on a 68cm frame?

- FBB
    BTW how about 4 cents each.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Man, I'm Awesome
    Can you fit on a 68cm frame?

- FBB
    Do you have a 70, I like to have my nuts crammed up really good when I'm stopped at a stop light, and the bars above my head. That is how everyone rode before things got out of hand.

"It's alive!"
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcg
    Do you have a 70, I like to have my nuts crammed up really good when I'm stopped at a stop light, and the bars above my head. That is how everyone rode before things got out of hand.
    Yer just jealous because you don't have a 36" inseam and a 37" sleeve. That's okay; I'm told that you little folk can lead happy, productive lives even though you need everything miniaturized.

- FBB

"It's alive!"
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    BTW how about 4 cents each.
    I am deeply hurt. The bikes will now cost you $5K/ea. Any more smart-allecky remarks and I'll bump them up to $6K.

- FBB

banned

Llednevir Fashion Update

When I was a kid, everything was better.

Modeled by my (Brant) father, here are the clothes I (brant) think are the only appropriate clothes for cycling. Ever.

Tight knee-breeches worn with long socks. It's a combination that is both old (and thus good) and new (which is usually bad, but since we're resurrecting it, it's good too). Notice the long pockets on the wool vest- you could carry a thanksgiving turkey in those things. And why shouldn't you? Riding your bike is about bagmatching and carrying stuff, not efficiency. I (brant) rarely leave the house without at least a canvas rain coat, a back-up rain coat for when my first canvas raincoat soaks through, 4 sandwiches, an entire bunch of bananas and a claw hammer. I don't bring water, as I (brant) think that we drink too much water. (see Llednevir Reader 38)

Muzzle Loading Smoothbore Flintlock. Even more useful on your S24O than a hatchet, plus it weighs over 10 pounds and looks old, which is good. Use it to shoot squirrels, rabbits, or elk. Why bring heavy and boring dried food when you can simply bring a big gun?

We've already got Nitto working on a special rack for carrying the Thanagar, as we've taken to calling the Muzzle Loading Smoothbore Flintlock.

"It's alive!"
    When I was a kid, everything was better.

Modeled by my (Brant) father, here are the clothes I (brant) think are the only appropriate clothes for cycling. Ever.

Tight knee-breeches worn with long socks. It's a combination that is both old (and thus good) and new (which is usually bad, but since we're resurrecting it, it's good too). Notice the long pockets on the wool vest- you could carry a thanksgiving turkey in those things. And why shouldn't you? Riding your bike is about bagmatching and carrying stuff, not efficiency. I (brant) rarely leave the house without at least a canvas rain coat, a back-up rain coat for when my first canvas raincoat soaks through, 4 sandwiches, an entire bunch of bananas and a claw hammer. I don't bring water, as I (brant) think that we drink too much water. (see Llednevir Reader 38)

Muzzle Loading Smoothbore Flintlock. Even more useful on your S24O than a hatchet, plus it weighs over 10 pounds and looks old, which is good. Use it to shoot squirrels, rabbits, or elk. Why bring heavy and boring dried food when you can simply bring a big gun?

We've already got Nitto working on a special rack for carrying the Thanagar, as we've taken to calling the Muzzle Loading Smoothbore Flintlock.

I hear and obey, master. - FBB

Dec 2005
    This thread does not suck.
    ...master of none...

Man, I'm Awesome
    Oh my god, stop it. I'm pissing myself and I can't breath. LOL. STOP I TELL YOU...

My abs are killing my and I blew milk out of my nose, and I haven't drank milk in two days.

I coulda did that myself
    Geepers! It's been a looong time since I saw "yucca pack" used in a sentence.

wheel to wheel
    LOL. This is too funny.
    Now, I have some socks just like yours so I'm thinking of buying a Llednevir just like yours. The thing is I already have shoes, for winter and summer. I have posted a picture of each and would like to know (really need to know) if you think these are too "modern" (or "moderne", I forget which) or if they will clash with the color or if all other Llednevir riders won't wave at me or if I will just be silently shunned like all heretics should be?

Please give me your honest assessment, because if it's a no-go I'll promptly burn the Detto's and have Miucccia Prenda craft me a pair of buckskin boots, under license to Gino Dino diSignori. Luckily, Miucccia and G. Dino think those guys at Sidi, Carnac, Lust and Rocket7 et al are total clowns...using stuff like velcro, ratchet clamps and carbon fiber outsoles, for crying out loud.
    "Gimondi un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Kish ti road

"It's alive!"
    Quote Originally Posted by cadence90
    Please give me your honest assessment, because if it's a no-go I'll promptly burn the Detto's and have Miucccia Prenda craft me a pair of buckskin boots, under license to Gino Dino diSignori. Luckily, Miucccia and G. Dino think those guys at Sidi, Carnac, Lust and Rocket7 et al are total clowns...using stuff like velcro, ratchet clamps and carbon fiber outsoles, for crying out loud.
    You DARE suggest alternative footwear not discovered by Brant?? HEATHEN!! BLASPHEMER!! ONLY BRANT MAY SUGGEST NEW CYCLING ACCESSORIES!! All others must merely smile, nod, and order said accessories from Lledbike.com.

For shame!

- FBB

wheel to wheel
    You DARE suggest alternative footwear not discovered by Brant?? HEATHEN!! BLASPHEMER!! ONLY BRANT MAY SUGGEST NEW CYCLING ACCESSORIES!! All others must merely smile, nod, and order said accessories from Lledbike.com.

For shame!

- FBB
    I knew, I knew, I knew I was not READY!

For penance I shall walk from HellA to Llednevir HQ along the 5 freeway, in nothing but a hairshirt and some copies of Bicycling Magazine strapped to my feet. 3 times.

I will not knock at the door upon my arrival; such impertinence would be blasphemous.
    I will simply place my offering of my old, "much older than the Pro", Brooks B-17 and a hand-carved tribute candle I made myself, in the shape of a Nitto lugged stem, therefore "stronger and more beautiful than whatever other tribute candle you might have", on the stoop.

May my forgiveness be Branted, even though such harsh penalties I know I shall suffer....
    "Gimondi un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Kish ti road

Feb 2006
    That's not a Trek, that's actually a "Kert", from back when they wrote things right-to-left.

It was traditional to mount a pencil sharpener on the bars.

banned

Llednevir Footwear Update

I dream of Hobbits

As many of you know from Llednevir Reader 36, I (brant) have been working on the perfect cycling shoe. I (brant) have been in negotiations with a small english cobbler's shoppe for many months.They'll be making us a shoe made entirely of steel wool and canvas. Steel is real, wool is real, so it follows that steel wool is the realest material of them all.

With it's super flexible 'anvas sole and steel wool uppers, this shoe will have all the characteristics I(brant) find most important in cycling footwear, including quick soak-through and rust.

I've (brant've) also been working on another shoe design. Some 'embers have complained that they can't mount the "cleats" for their "clipless pedals" to their 'didas Sambas or P.F. Flyers. For them, I (brant) introduce the Llednevir clog.

Stiff enough for even the most demanding racer, the Llednevir clog can accomodate any brand of cleat past (good) or present (bad).

A steel wool sweater will be available by the 'olidays, in grades from itchy to skin removing. Our first 4 future runs of the shoe, the clog and the sweater have already sold due to rampant speculation by ibobbers who heard a rumor and just sent cash.

wheel to wheel
    I dream of Hobbits
    LOL!
    A master at work!

Please update us on proper bar-tape materials, wrapping methodology, road vibration issues, etc; and also the proper hand signals for Llednevir riders who see each other on the road asap, please.

I'm a convert...sorry, I mean a trevnoc!.

Kish ti road

Feb 2006
    It was typical for Kert riders, when they encountered each other on the road, to exchange wives, which were carried over the rear rack. Close friends would also give gifts of pencils or a lanolin and beeswax mixture which could be used either as a sexual lubricant or a chain lube (some riders claimed not to know the difference).

"It's alive!"
    Quote Originally Posted by KWillets
    It was typical for Kert riders, when they encountered each other on the road, to exchange wives, which were carried over the rear rack. Close friends would also give gifts of pencils or a lanolin and beeswax mixture which could be used either as a sexual lubricant or a chain lube (some riders claimed not to know the difference).
    Of course, Kerts would not acknowledge anyone else. When forced to talk to "non-Kerts," they were inevitably terse and unpleasant. Thus the term "He was Kert with me" arose. Over time, the spelling changed from "Kert" to "curt."

- FBB

Feb 2006
    The Llednevir frame is actually an old Kert touring design. It was made by 89-year-old traditional eccentrics in the Kert factory in Wales until six months ago, when our telegrams began to go unanswered. As this had happened before, we assumed that it was a delay in exchanging mail among passing ships in the triangle trade. However we later heard firsthand, from a Kert rider on his way to the Bamboo Crank Show, that the Kert factory had closed due to an excess of cats. We are now searching for a new builder.

wheel to wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by KWillets
    The Llednevir frame is actually an old Kert touring design. It was made by 89-year-old traditional eccentrics in the Kert factory in Wales until six months ago, when our telegrams began to go unanswered. As this had happened before, we assumed that it was a delay in exchanging mail among passing ships in the triangle trade. However we later heard firsthand, from a Kert rider on his way to the Bamboo Crank Show, that the Kert factory had closed due to an excess of cats. We are now searching for a new builder.
    I do believe your are correct. But it wasn't only the cats. I have it from a reliable source in the Welsh brewing industry that the "traditional eccentrics", as they self-styled themselves, did in fact leave Wales under rather more dastardly and mysterious circumstances one foggy night.

They landed in France, and promptly found work at the famous hub maker Blanc Industrie. When questioned by the local gendarmerie as to the vague situation surrounding their arrival, rather than say "one foggy night" their crusty leader Shellup Frown said "eno foggy night".

This appeased the constable and from then on "traditional eccentrics" have been known as "enos".

HTH!

Kish ti road

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Hey buck-50. Can I join your cult? I'll pay whatever you ask.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast