New commuter - Raleigh Touring
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006

New commuter - Raleigh Touring

A while ago I was asking here for some commuter bike advice. Well, I looked around and ended up finding an old Raleigh at Yellow Bike Project in Austin. Here is what it looks like now
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kermit_xc; 01-21-2007 at 10:27 PM.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    You know, that is actually a very nice looking bike (the jury remains out on the pie plate and wheel reflectors). They sure don't make them like they used to-at least not for that kind of money.

Nice photography too.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    That`s a sweet bike, Kermit. Hope to see you riding around somewhere here in Austin. You gotta Love those Yellow Bike folks. Good people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Quill stem, lugged steel, crowned fork, fenders....yahoo! You are good to go! They sure don't make 'em like that anymore, so ride it like you stole it, because you did! All you need now is to rewrap the bars with cork tape, and amber shellac the tape, for a really retro and classy look. Add a honey Brooks B17 saddle to match.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggity
    Quill stem, lugged steel, crowned fork, fenders....yahoo! You are good to go! They sure don't make 'em like that anymore, so ride it like you stole it, because you did! All you need now is to rewrap the bars with cork tape, and amber shellac the tape, for a really retro and classy look. Add a honey Brooks B17 saddle to match.
    All legitimate ... you know YBP has changed it's politics here in Austin
    But I have to admit $75 was a steal-deal !!!.

I agree, my next loose cash buys a Brooks saddle.

While I was going to YBP my initial goal was to get an old, beat-up ugly looking 10spd rig. to have a cheap commuter ... and now it looks better than any of my other bikes. Funny the thing with vintage bikes is - sucks you in, and you never know when.