Not Rolling

Thread: Not Rolling

Big is relative

Not Rolling

It was windy today on Oahu. It rained alot too. I rolled from the house at 4:40am this morning into rain and 30 mph winds. Not too bad, it was mostly a tailwind. The rain really picked up as I passed Waipio on the MUT. The rain was pelting the back of my head and I couldn't see much further than ten feet in front of me. I rode over a bunch of fallen tree limbs. I survived and got to work. I washed my stuff downstairs in the dive locker. Now it was time to go home. The wind still blowing at 30 mph except now it is a headwind, thus the Not Rolling shots. With my fenders and panniers, it was all I could do to control the bike with two hands. I stopped to take these shots. Notice the aerodynamic palm trees and the lack of mountainous background. The mountains were there, just hidden.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Retired sailor

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    LOL, just add some cold and you will be ready for Bremerton. I mean really; where else are folks out walking in the wind and the rain wearing shorts and t-shirts?

I'm thinking you are going to have some adjustments to make when you leave Hawaii.

MB1
    Adjusted
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member

I feel your pain.

Oh man. I once had a similar experience. I went to college in Daytona Beach. Before then I'd never been to the ocean, so the first thing I did was take my bike down to the beach. I got on the smooth damp sand near the water's edge and just started cranking up the beach. It was almost like hardpack and I just went forever.. had a really nice tailwind. I enjoyed hopping sand castles, dodging sea shells etc... till I turned around to come back. Holy head wind. I never did that again. Furthermore I spent forever cleaning the sand out of my chain, & hubs! Eeek!

Dig the palm trees. Sorta look like dred locked rastas standing there.

Arby.
    phattire.net
    urban photography

Big is relative
    Quote Originally Posted by Arby
    Oh man. I once had a similar experience. I went to college in Daytona Beach. Before then I'd never been to the ocean, so the first thing I did was take my bike down to the beach. I got on the smooth damp sand near the water's edge and just started cranking up the beach. It was almost like hardpack and I just went forever.. had a really nice tailwind. I enjoyed hopping sand castles, dodging sea shells etc... till I turned around to come back. Holy head wind. I never did that again. Furthermore I spent forever cleaning the sand out of my chain, & hubs! Eeek!

Dig the palm trees. Sorta look like dred locked rastas standing there.

Arby.
    The worst part yesterday was the salt spray. It coated everything including my glasses. Got it again this morning. The winds are supposed to die down by the weekend and get replaced with tropical thunderstorms.
    Retired sailor

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Speaking of salt spray, any concerns over rust with your steel bikes?

Big is relative
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno
    Speaking of salt spray, any concerns over rust with your steel bikes?
    My Gunnar has really nice paint and it is holding up well against the rigors of commuting. Even the Soma that broke was rust free externally with some light surface rust in the bb shell. I have the new Soma and a MX Leader boxed up in the garage since I don't have the need to build them up now. My Pegoretti and 29r MTB are both aluminum. The Pego could use a new paint job, perhaps something from Joe Bell. Maybe I will take it to Dario while I am in Italy and offer him a couple of cartons of Marlboros for a paintjob.
    Retired sailor

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill
    The Pego could use a new paint job, perhaps something from Joe Bell. Maybe I will take it to Dario while I am in Italy and offer him a couple of cartons of Marlboros for a paintjob.
    pfft! Couple of Spam musubi's will do the job.