Oops. I did it. LHT inbound
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Kilt wearing, old man

Oops. I did it. LHT inbound

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my new touring bike. For the past year and a half, I've been thinking about I want in a properly fit touring bike. Today, I had my LBS order me a Surly Long Haul Trucker (complete), 58cm frame in the Blue Velvet paint job. I'm not enamored with the size of handlebars the spec sheet says this bike comes with (the Surly site says 44cm handlebars). But I'll try it out before swapping for something in a 46cm (thinking Salsa Moto-Ace Bell Lap-style).

I knew I'd place the order today as I ordered my Lounge and Team Collin stickers for it yesterday.

The LBS usually places their orders on Tuesdays, so my LHT should be here in a week or so. Now all I have to do is wait. That, and sign up for the Adventure Cycling Association ride that I want to take in August.
    When a bike is stolen
    A faerie dies of sadness

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Great choice.....The LHT is a great touring frame
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    You'll like it. The LHT is rad. I really like the blue, though the new black LHT is cool too.
    I saw a werewolf drinking a piņa colada at Trader Vic's, his hair was perfect. (Warren Zevon)

RoadBikeReview Member
    I hope you like your new LHT. I am very fond of mine with it's 26" wheels. I think they are very fun and a jack of all trades. I now have Phil wheels and soon Nitto handlebars and soon nicer brakes. It's a fun bike to play around with and add things and change things. My bike toy.
    never,never,never give up

hello
    Enjoy your new LHT.
    I run Salsa Bell Laps on my LHT and really love the way they feel. I've had several different handlebars on my LHT over the years I've owned this bike.
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

Soul Mining
    Good decision. Welcome to the fold.

Formosan Cyclocross
    That is a great pure touring bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    The LHT is a great everything bike. For fun, sometime put big knobby mtn bike tires on it and take it off road, its like mountain biking 30 years ago. You'll feel like a kid again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Oh my that image is HUGE, sorry bout that

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just installed a LHT Fork on my cross bke to give it some front rack options that i didnt have before. Workmanship was great and the fork was perfect in every way. Cant wait to see pictures

Bill

Kilt wearing, old man
    Maybe I should start another thread for this. But any suggestions for racks for my LHT? I'm thinking of the Surly rear rack, and a Tubus Ergo low rider for the front.
    When a bike is stolen
    A faerie dies of sadness

RoadBikeReview Member
    I currently have a blackburn expedition on the back of my bike and its been bullet proof. For the front i have ordered the blackburn front rack which is due toarrive and day now. Once it does i will install it and let you know how it works with the LHT fork i have.

Bill

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Whoohoo! New bike!
    If you`ve got the cash to spare, I can`t imagine you having any problems with the Surly or the Tubus. Where`s the ACA ride you`re taking?

KWL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPilot
    Maybe I should start another thread for this. But any suggestions for racks for my LHT? I'm thinking of the Surly rear rack, and a Tubus Ergo low rider for the front.
    I love the Tubus Duo on my LHT....it is simplicity, clean looking and solid as a rock.

I went full Tubus and mounted a Logo on the back.

Ken
    P.J. O'Rourke: The Internet - whose idea was it to put all the idiots on earth in touch with each other?

Kilt wearing, old man
    Rodar, I was planning on signing up for the Oregon, Intro to Road touring ride/class. It's in Auguust, out of Eugene. Should be a learning experience.

KWL, the other rear rack I'm considering is the Tubus Cargo. All of my current panniers (old REI & Jandd) have one or two hooks for the bottom attachment, so I thought something where those wouldn't move too much was desirable.
    Last edited by PomPilot; 05-04-2010 at 05:32 PM.
    When a bike is stolen
    A faerie dies of sadness

RoadBikeReview Member
    Rodar, I was planning on signing up for the Oregon, Intro to Road touring ride/class. It's in Auguust, out of Eugene. Should be a learning experience.

KWL, the other rear rack I'm considering is the Tubus Cargo. All of my current panniers (old REI & Jandd) have one or two hooks for the bottom attachment, so I thought something where those wouldn't move too much was desirable.
    Get the Tubus. The Surly rack is unnecessarily heavy. It's really heavy. Did I mention it's heavy?
    I saw a werewolf drinking a piņa colada at Trader Vic's, his hair was perfect. (Warren Zevon)

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by bignose
    Oh my that ____ is HUGE, sorry bout that
    If I had a nickel for every time I heard that...

I like the Apple sticker on the seat tube. I have one on the top tube on my bike
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

Kilt wearing, old man
    Oh my that image is HUGE, sorry bout that
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Opus51569
    If I had a nickel for every time I heard that...
    Please remember that some of us still use dial up for various reasons. Mine is that I can't stand to spend an additional $60.00 per month just to get marginal cable internet service, from Charter Cable (you have to have one of their 'enhanced service' packages on top of the basic cable service in order to get their cable internet ).
    When a bike is stolen
    A faerie dies of sadness

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Please remember that some of us still use dial up for various reasons. Mine is that I can't stand to spend an additional $60.00 per month just to get marginal cable internet service, from Charter Cable (you have to have one of their 'enhanced service' packages on top of the basic cable service in order to get their cable internet ).
    That's a shame, but its 2010, the responsibility is up to you to tell your browser not to download huge images, not for me not to post them.

That aside, it was a whoops.

KWL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    That's a shame, but its 2010, the responsibility is up to you to tell your browser not to download huge images, not for me not to post them.

That aside, it was a whoops.
    You could be nice and reload a smaller version of the photo. It's more than a little irritating to have the replies spread across the width of 3 monitors. Where did the reply window go? Oh, there it is.......→ → → →
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken
    P.J. O'Rourke: The Internet - whose idea was it to put all the idiots on earth in touch with each other?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    RCnute, what you said about the Surly Nice Rack being heavy . . . Well, you're right. It's heavy. Really heavy. Like, anvil heavy. I have one, and I like it. It's solid. But heavy.

For commuting I just carry an Arkel tail rider (that sounds rude) and I do not need the ability to carry heavy panniers, so I switched out to a little Nitto rack for commute duty. Love the Nitto, but it's expensive. Really expensive . . . .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    What huge Image? *smirk*

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

I've recently set up the same bike. Tubus Logo rack ( Strong and lighter than the Surly) with Axiom Lasalle panniers. I plan on doing some overnights/weekends set up like this until I drop the $ for a front rack (probably the Tubus Ergo) and more panniers.

Love it love it love it.

Did I mention I like the bike?
    Last edited by kbollox; 05-05-2010 at 08:56 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I love going no hands on mine... sooo stable.

banned
    The LHT is a great everything bike. For fun, sometime put big knobby mtn bike tires on it and take it off road, its like mountain biking 30 years ago. You'll feel like a kid again.

Do tell, how big a tire will fit on that thing? I'm assuming those are 26" wheels...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast