Pacific Coast Highway 101: Oregon to California

Feb 2005

Pacific Coast Highway 101: Oregon to California

First post for me.

I'm set later this summer to head to Berkeley, California to meet up with family. I'm expecting the trip down south to take no longer than 9 days at most. I'm shooting for 7.

I'm looking for material, such as websites to turn to, or first hand experience from individuals who have been on 101. What's traffic like? What should I prepare for? Etc.

Thanks

Mar 2005
    You don't say where you're starting from.... so it's hard to comment on your schedule.

The "Pacific Coast Bike Route" goes down Hwy 1, along the Mendocino coast. This, of course, is more scenic, less traffic, and takes way longer. Hwy 101 isn't as bike-friendly as an alternative, but I'm sure people have done it. Check theCrazyGuyOnABike site for lots of tour journals (anywhere in the world).

In general, if I was starting from Washington or Oregon, I'd plan on 50-60 miles a day (less for the first week unless you spend all day on a bike in your 'regular' life). Add to that a day off once in a while for rest or hiking in the redwoods. For instance, from Portland it's about 800 miles down Hwy 101, so I'd expect 3 weeks for a not-trying-to-kill-myself enjoyable tour.

-- Mark

Feb 2005
    Start point is out of Corvallis, Oregon. I plan on taking HW 34 through Alsea to reach Waldport. From there, I'll head south on 101.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Adventure Cycling

Quote Originally Posted by cobra mullet
    Start point is out of Corvallis, Oregon. I plan on taking HW 34 through Alsea to reach Waldport. From there, I'll head south on 101.
    Adventure Cycling (adventurecycling.org) has the Pacific Coast Route from Vancouver to LA. Go to their web site and you can buy maps that cover the sections you want to ride. They have detailed directions and list bike shops, food, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member

the coast route is called Hwy 1 in CA...

much of 101 in CA runs inland, though there are many stretches where they run together. Have riden from Vancouver to San Diego, the main problem in CA is that many parts of Hwy 1 have narrow lanes and no shoulder...sometimes a guardrail too, so there is nowhere to bail out if someone gets too close...the grade before Crescent City is especially bad. That being said, I made without incident but did have a few close calls. It would be best to start very early each day and get most of your riding done before the RV's hit the road. Oregon is much better, there is a bike lane or at least a decent shoulder along most the coast, and several low cost hiker/biker campgrounds where you meet a lot of fellow cyclists. Can also highly recommend the Adventure Cycling maps, and there is a book on the route as well, writen by Kirkendell IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by cobra mullet
    First post for me.

I'm set later this summer to head to Berkeley, California to meet up with family. I'm expecting the trip down south to take no longer than 9 days at most. I'm shooting for 7.

I'm looking for material, such as websites to turn to, or first hand experience from individuals who have been on 101. What's traffic like? What should I prepare for? Etc.

Thanks