Perfect Morning in Los Angeles 1-13-05
    RoadBikeReview Member

Perfect Morning in Los Angeles 1-13-05

Finally the weather is great. Here are a few pics from this morning. I've posted a photo of the first Virgen de Guadalupe before, but why would they add a cow & watermelon? Kind of weird, I guess because it's a market. Too dark to get the spooky cemetery on Venice Blvd. Posted it anyway. Notice the crossing guard. She seems to also have a braiding service. Morning sky colors were amazing. Photos don't do justice. Remember juice guy? Too cold for juice, now just tamales & champurrado. You guys know about champurrado? It's Mexican hot chocolate with some corn masa to make it thick. Excellent.
    Peace,
    TY
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by northcoast; 01-13-2005 at 09:50 AM.

My back hurts
    As usual, nice shots. I love food carts. Those tamales look almost as good as the bacon-wrapped hot dogs in the parking lots before and after soccer games at the Home Depot Center. I saw the US Men's Under 20 team play at HDC last night and gave serious consideration to a bacon-dog after the game but reason got the best of me. It looked and smelled good last night, but I won't be spending the morning on the can today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bacon wrapped dogs are the bomb! I used to eat those in TJ as a kid. Mmmmm. But you're right, they can be dangerous. Glad you liked the pics.
    TY

RoadBikeReview Member

3 & 6 I like a lot.

T,

I really like pictures 3 and 6 the best. I like the hand sign on the railing of the fence in the foreground of the cemetery and I like the remnants of what was once something embedded in the concrete. I did a series a while a go of just things that were smushed into the roads here in Baltimore... bottle caps, keys, locks, cans, small animals etc.. it was neat. I think I'll post some of that stuff sometime.

Nice pictures as usual, keep feedin' us! By the way, I've asked this before I'm sure, but what camera are you carying with you again? Sorry.

Nice post, looks like an enjoyable ride in,

RB
    phattire.net
    urban photography

Commuter
    I can just smell the champurrado...uuuum. Corn meal makes everything better in my book ;)

What a glorious morning it is! (said with Irish accent, or Lucky Charms voice).

The watermelon and cow are probably on that for two possible reasons:
    1. It's market as you mentioned
    2. Or could be a reference back to the days when people used to bring livestock and harvest to Mass to present during the Offertory. The ceremonial custom of the priest washing his hands during Mass is a tradition that originated from the days when people would bring donkeys and grain to Mass and he would accept them and then had to wash his hands afterwards to continue.

Note: for non Catholics or those who don't know what Mass means, it's just the name given to the Catholic version of what others call Sunday service.
    Last edited by meat tooth paste; 01-13-2005 at 11:44 AM.
    You can call me "MTP" if my full screen name grosses you out.

Go Blue

Our Lady on a Bar?

In the last photo it looks like Our Lady of Guadalupe is on the side of a bar. Even in Lourdes I don't believe that I ever have seen a picture of the Virgin Mary on a bar.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Commuter
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    In the last photo it looks like Our Lady of Guadalupe is on the side of a bar. Even in Lourdes I don't believe that I ever have seen a picture of the Virgin Mary on a bar.
    Out here on the east side of LA, we put La Virgen De Guadalupe on everything. You name it, she's on it: spare tire covers on vans, lowriders, murals on any kind of building (especially on liquor stores), key chains, etc....

Go Blue

Kind of like St. Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by meat tooth paste
    Out here on the east side of LA, we put La Virgen De Guadalupe on everything. You name it, she's on it: spare tire covers on vans, lowriders, murals on any kind of building (especially on liquor stores), key chains, etc....

I guess it is no different than how the Irish use the image and name of St. Patrick or the English use the Cross of St. George.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

RoadBikeReview Member

The pics tease me.

I want to go out and ride, too, but will have to wait til the weekend. Thanks for posting. I've been wanting to ride over to Washington Bridge to snaps some shots of the L.A. River for our RBR friends. Maybe I'll do that Saturday. The deluge should still be in effect by then.

BTW, I'm very familiar with that cement mountain. My loft is in the next lot over.

Peace,

Oso

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks to all for checking out the photos. RB, Sony Cybershot 4.1 Megapixels. I usually shoot on shutter priority at about 125, then use the software to fix them up. Here are a few shots from the way home. As you can see, the bar from this morning is completely covered. I ran into a dude on an old Trek on the way home. Rode together & chatted for a few miles, then each went our own way. Cool guy. Do you all ever get into a turn lane to go left & wish you hadn't? That's Santa Fe & Olympic. Last photo: produce markets on Central & 9th are amazing. They've got everything.
    TY
    Attached Images Attached Images

pi makes wheels go round
    Quote Originally Posted by northcoast
    Last photo: produce markets on Central & 9th are amazing. They've got everything.
    TY
    Its pretty interesting how there can be distinct cultural differences, yet similarities at the same time... China town around here, and the general asian influence, is much like the hispanic flvor down there. Markets are pretty similar (just indoors).

An unfortunate side effect is that there is no good mexican food up here. Just across the boarder in the states, absolutely, but canada? No way...
    Cheap sushi, though :-)

-D

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by damon
    Its pretty interesting how there can be distinct cultural differences, yet similarities at the same time... China town around here, and the general asian influence, is much like the hispanic flvor down there. Markets are pretty similar (just indoors).

An unfortunate side effect is that there is no good mexican food up here. Just across the boarder in the states, absolutely, but canada? No way...
    Cheap sushi, though :-)

-D

I can feel my intestines locking up at even the thought of "cheap sushi" !!

Commuter
    Quote Originally Posted by northcoast
    ...Do you all ever get into a turn lane to go left & wish you hadn't? That's Santa Fe & Olympic...
    Yup. I used to regret it all the time. Nowadays I make left turns like a pedestrian and just ride to the corner and wait for the light to turn green. Takes longer, but I am in no hurry. I've had my share of close calls on those left turn lanes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meat tooth paste
    Yup. I used to regret it all the time. Nowadays I make left turns like a pedestrian and just ride to the corner and wait for the light to turn green. Takes longer, but I am in no hurry. I've had my share of close calls on those left turn lanes.
    Hey Meat,
    I took your advice and did the pedestrian style crossing at Santa Fe/Olympic today. Probably a lot safer. The last three days of commuting have been beyond perfect.
    BTW- I saw your photos on Arby's thread: awesome!
    Thanks,
    TY