Pocketless Jerseys?

Printable View

• 05-12-2010
    thrasher_s
    Pocketless Jerseys?
    Has anybody found a good source for fairly inexpensive jerseys without the back pockets? I wear a messenger style bag, so the pockets are unnecessary and kind of annoying. Plus I think they are ugly.
  • 05-12-2010
    Oxtox
    a pocket is 'annoying?'

some folks have unusual issues...
  • 05-12-2010
    skyphix
    Have you considered looking in other places? I wear "baseball trainers" from Old Navy (quarter zip, long sleeve) that are pocketless and long enough even for me (at 6'2). Very comfortable, moisture wicking and very breathable. I pay $15 per for them.
  • 05-12-2010
    Allez Rouge
    IMO part of what makes a cycling jersey a cycling jersey are the three back pockets. Performance and Nashbar have nice pocketless tees that might work for you ...

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...8_20000_400060

... but you'd probably do better, price-wise, buying regular pocketless tees, made of moisture-wicking fabric, from a local store. You could adjust your normal size down to get a snug fit, if that's what you'd prefer.
  • 05-12-2010
    Pscyclepath
    The main reason I wear a jersey when riding is for the pockets... Otherwise an old t-shirt or polo shirt does just fine.
  • 05-12-2010
    thrasher_s
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxtox
    a pocket is 'annoying?'

some folks have unusual issues...

yeah, they catch on my bag and pull my jersey tighter down my back. Thanks for the helpful comments :rolleyes:
  • 05-12-2010
    buck-50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thrasher_s
    yeah, they catch on my bag and pull my jersey tighter down my back. Thanks for the helpful comments :rolleyes:

You might be doing it wrong...

if you just want a shirt without pockets, pretty much any shirt will do. There are plenty of athletic non-cotton shirts out there. They should be a lot easier to find then bike jerseys. Just head over to your local sporting goods mega store.
  • 05-12-2010
    theBreeze
    I would look for something for sports other than cycling. Any wicking shirt made for hiking, running or such would work. Try Sierra Trading Post or REI OUtlet for decent prices. Even Target and such have synthetic sports shirts.
  • 05-12-2010
    FatTireFred
    cut 'em off
  • 05-12-2010
    JCavilia
    theBreeze called it. Jersey without pockets is a "shirt". Sierra Trading Post has lots of wicking shirts cheap, including long-sleeved ones with neck zippers for ventilation. I use a fannypack for commuting (lets me carry more, and keeps it organized), so I wear pocketless shirts. I prefer the wicking synthetics to cotton most of the time, but sometimes I just wear any old t-shirt.
  • 05-12-2010
    rayhead00
    my vote is a golf shirt.
    some golf and fishing shirts are made with the same materials as a jersey...but "normal" looking.
    ...and running tops...and soccer tees...
    and freeride and down hill jerseys.
  • 05-12-2010
    Keeping up with Junior
    Grow a beard...
    ... and then go hang out on a recumbant forum. Those lounge chair riders should be able to refer you to some potential sources.
  • 05-12-2010
    dysfunction
    yea, my running tops are pretty much the same as jerseys.. without pockets sucks, cause I'd love to use a couple of them riding, but sans pockets.. sucks.
  • 05-12-2010
    roadfix
    Aren't messenger bag wearers supposed to wear ordinary civilian clothes when cycling?
  • 05-12-2010
    tarwheel2
    Target has Champion brand wicking t-shirts that cost less then $10. They are available in short and long sleeves, typically in a variety of colors, including bright yellow, orange and red. If you don't want pockets, those would work as well as anything else. I use them for base layers.
  • 05-12-2010
    PeanutButterBreath
    I think that micro-weight wool is worth the extra. If you are wearing a bag over the shirt, it is bound to get sweaty. Wool won't stink right away.
  • 05-12-2010
    peterjones
    Or, just get over it.
  • 05-12-2010
    MerlinAma
    I would look at clothing for triathletes.

They usually wear really goofy looking stuff.
  • 05-12-2010
    Slim Again, Soon
    I didn't know pockets were a religious issue, but, of course, what isn't on this forum?

I stopped buying bike jerseys some time back, because I no longer used the pockets.

Like tarwheel2, I get the cheap Champion fiber shirts (some short-sleeved, some long) from Tar-jhay.
  • 05-12-2010
    bane
    might check out crew stuff, they have tanks, short sleeves and long sleeves

regatta sport and JL are two companies that makes that kind of stuff, cheap by cycling standards
  • 05-12-2010
    PomPilot
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeping up with Junior
    ... and then go hang out on a recumbant forum. Those lounge chair riders should be able to refer you to some potential sources.

You might check Mt. Borah designs. The last time I looked, they had a recumbent jersey, where the pockets were to the side, instead of across the back.
  • 05-13-2010
    Glynis27
    Just take a look at mountain bike jerseys. Many of those don't have pockets as they are expecting you to wear a hydration pack.
  • 05-13-2010
    BryanSayer
    They are called Track jerseys.
  • 05-14-2010
    Arby
    Quote:

Has anybody found a good source for fairly inexpensive jerseys without the back pockets? I wear a messenger style bag, so the pockets are unnecessary and kind of annoying. Plus I think they are ugly.

Remove the pockets. Please send the removed pockets to me. I am collecting.
  • 05-14-2010
    RedRex
    Quote:

Pockets look great on the weekend on training/adventure rides. On the way to work, they certainly do bring out a strong sense of "why am I wearing this again?"

My bike has pockets. I ride to work in REI Sahara tee shirts. http://www.rei.com/product/794440

they wick, look good, and they're well made.

Don't be that guy riding a "look like a racer" bike with a giant backpack. Just don't do it.