Pocketless Jerseys?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

Question Pocketless Jerseys?

Has anybody found a good source for fairly inexpensive jerseys without the back pockets? I wear a messenger style bag, so the pockets are unnecessary and kind of annoying. Plus I think they are ugly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    a pocket is 'annoying?'

some folks have unusual issues...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have you considered looking in other places? I wear "baseball trainers" from Old Navy (quarter zip, long sleeve) that are pocketless and long enough even for me (at 6'2). Very comfortable, moisture wicking and very breathable. I pay $15 per for them.

Still On Steel
    IMO part of what makes a cycling jersey a cycling jersey are the three back pockets. Performance and Nashbar have nice pocketless tees that might work for you ...

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...8_20000_400060

... but you'd probably do better, price-wise, buying regular pocketless tees, made of moisture-wicking fabric, from a local store. You could adjust your normal size down to get a snug fit, if that's what you'd prefer.
    Allez Rouge

LCI #1853
    The main reason I wear a jersey when riding is for the pockets... Otherwise an old t-shirt or polo shirt does just fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox
    a pocket is 'annoying?'

some folks have unusual issues...
    yeah, they catch on my bag and pull my jersey tighter down my back. Thanks for the helpful comments

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s
    yeah, they catch on my bag and pull my jersey tighter down my back. Thanks for the helpful comments
    You might be doing it wrong...

if you just want a shirt without pockets, pretty much any shirt will do. There are plenty of athletic non-cotton shirts out there. They should be a lot easier to find then bike jerseys. Just head over to your local sporting goods mega store.

Power Napper
    I would look for something for sports other than cycling. Any wicking shirt made for hiking, running or such would work. Try Sierra Trading Post or REI OUtlet for decent prices. Even Target and such have synthetic sports shirts.
    "When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am the friend of its happiness: when these things can be said, then may that country boast its constitution and its government." -Thomas Paine

duh...
    cut 'em off

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    theBreeze called it. Jersey without pockets is a "shirt". Sierra Trading Post has lots of wicking shirts cheap, including long-sleeved ones with neck zippers for ventilation. I use a fannypack for commuting (lets me carry more, and keeps it organized), so I wear pocketless shirts. I prefer the wicking synthetics to cotton most of the time, but sometimes I just wear any old t-shirt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    my vote is a golf shirt.
    some golf and fishing shirts are made with the same materials as a jersey...but "normal" looking.
    ...and running tops...and soccer tees...
    and freeride and down hill jerseys.

Squirrel Hunter
    Feb 2003

Grow a beard...

... and then go hang out on a recumbant forum. Those lounge chair riders should be able to refer you to some potential sources.
    Luck is the intersection of preparation and opportunity.

turtle killer.
    yea, my running tops are pretty much the same as jerseys.. without pockets sucks, cause I'd love to use a couple of them riding, but sans pockets.. sucks.

hello
    Aren't messenger bag wearers supposed to wear ordinary civilian clothes when cycling?
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Target has Champion brand wicking t-shirts that cost less then $10. They are available in short and long sleeves, typically in a variety of colors, including bright yellow, orange and red. If you don't want pockets, those would work as well as anything else. I use them for base layers.

Number 2 on the course.
    I think that micro-weight wool is worth the extra. If you are wearing a bag over the shirt, it is bound to get sweaty. Wool won't stink right away.

Wearing blue suede shoes
    Or, just get over it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I would look at clothing for triathletes.

They usually wear really goofy looking stuff.

I didn't know pockets were a religious issue, but, of course, what isn't on this forum?

I stopped buying bike jerseys some time back, because I no longer used the pockets.

Like tarwheel2, I get the cheap Champion fiber shirts (some short-sleeved, some long) from Tar-jhay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    might check out crew stuff, they have tanks, short sleeves and long sleeves

regatta sport and JL are two companies that makes that kind of stuff, cheap by cycling standards

Kilt wearing, old man
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeping up with Junior
    ... and then go hang out on a recumbant forum. Those lounge chair riders should be able to refer you to some potential sources.
    You might check Mt. Borah designs. The last time I looked, they had a recumbent jersey, where the pockets were to the side, instead of across the back.
    When a bike is stolen
    A faerie dies of sadness

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Just take a look at mountain bike jerseys. Many of those don't have pockets as they are expecting you to wear a hydration pack.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    They are called Track jerseys.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Has anybody found a good source for fairly inexpensive jerseys without the back pockets? I wear a messenger style bag, so the pockets are unnecessary and kind of annoying. Plus I think they are ugly.
    Remove the pockets. Please send the removed pockets to me. I am collecting.
    phattire.net
    urban photography

Riding towards Delmarva.

Pockets look great on the weekend on training/adventure rides. On the way to work, they certainly do bring out a strong sense of "why am I wearing this again?"

My bike has pockets. I ride to work in REI Sahara tee shirts. http://www.rei.com/product/794440

they wick, look good, and they're well made.

Don't be that guy riding a "look like a racer" bike with a giant backpack. Just don't do it.
    "Anyone can ride fast downhill."
    me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast