Some same ol' same ol' for ya.
    RoadBikeReview Member

Some same ol' same ol' for ya.

Happy Friday folks:

This morning's ride into work was awesome. I took the cross bike because I just put new brake pads in the rear and wanted to see how they work... they work great. Long sleeve T weather; can't beat it! It's supposed to hit 70 today too. Anyhoozits, I just got a new battery for my camera (nikon D1) which has been on the fritz lately, and so I shot about a bazillion photos on the way into work this morning to make sure all the images were getting recorded. Here are a few of the same ol' same ol' stuff I usually post.

First off, some downtown Baltimore shots (first portion of my commute):

After playing downtown, I hopped on and proceded west across town, crossing MLK Blvd and into the 'hood. I stopped once for a grafiti shot and then moved along. I snapped some shots of the area for you all:

Motoring along at warp speed (seemingly warpspeed):

Kind of interesting observation: I am clipped in, I didn't know there was that much clearance between my cleat and the pedal:

have a nice weekend folks.
    phattire.net
    urban photography

Go Blue

The Alley Photo

Quote Originally Posted by Arby

The alley photo reminds me of the alley and the back of the house in which I lived until I was 12 years old. The only difference is that back in the day, every house would have had laundry drying on the clotheslines if it were as nice a day as today is in Baltimore.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Nice but it ain't the same without the Pista.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Bacon!

So different

I think what I like in general about the photos is the significant difference between where I live and Baltimore. Talking about almost exact opposites.
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

Cyclocross fool
    Arby, I've marveled for a while now at how you get such well-composed and sharp (non-shaky) pictures while riding. What's your secret? I'm afraid that if I tried to take pics of my cleats while riding my fixie I'd crash for sure. How about "Arby's How-To Guide to On-The-Bike Photography", sticky, of course. Keep 'em comin', dude!

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

I've been thinking more about this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    Nice but it ain't the same without the Pista.
    That bike with it's gaudy decals/stickers just really looks out of place in the inner city and those B&W photos. Put some tape over the things and it would be less jarring but the bottom line is that for city riding fixed is right.

OMHO
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member

part me, part camera...

Quote Originally Posted by bikenerd
    Arby, I've marveled for a while now at how you get such well-composed and sharp (non-shaky) pictures while riding. What's your secret? I'm afraid that if I tried to take pics of my cleats while riding my fixie I'd crash for sure. How about "Arby's How-To Guide to On-The-Bike Photography", sticky, of course. Keep 'em comin', dude!
    I attribute alot of the quality of these shots to the camera. I picked up an old used DSLR to use as a beater DSLR that I can take with me to work and back everyday and not have to worry so much about breaking it if I cet pasted by a car or wipe out. I used to carey a little point and shoot but I used to get so frustrated when I couldn't get the shot I wanted with it. Now I tote a Nikon D1 (shown below).

As far as on the bike shots go, I dunno... I'm just a risky rider I guess!

Arby.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    phattire.net
    urban photography

RoadBikeReview Member

I'm in full agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    That bike with it's gaudy decals/stickers just really looks out of place in the inner city and those B&W photos. Put some tape over the things and it would be less jarring but the bottom line is that for city riding fixed is right.

OMHO
    MB1 you're alright man.

A no frills (yet so frill packed), ordinary, super simple, fixed gear is THE city bike. Nothing to break, nothing to brake and nothing but silent, smooth spinning.

I haven't been riding my fixed this last week because I have a mystery squeak that has manifested into a mystery SHREAK... everytime I put weight into my left pedal stroke my crank/bb/pedal area squeals so embarassingly. When I stand up to sprint up Charles St on my way home it's like.. "SQUEAK! SQUEAK! HEY, LOOK AT ME! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!" I've been too busy to give her the attention she needs though, and have been riding the road or cross bike to work this week.

I have two races this weekend, but come monday (recovery day) I'll have time to give er' some lovin'.

RB1
    phattire.net
    urban photography

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

Not that I don't ride geared every so often in the city.

.....A no frills (yet so frill packed), ordinary, super simple, fixed gear is THE city bike. Nothing to break, nothing to brake and nothing but silent, smooth spinning.......
    But then I don't shoot B&W. ;)

MB1
    Consistent in my inconsistencies

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

really like the b & w shots

There's more atmosphere to them. It's less about the colors and more about the objects themselves, the conditions that make a city what it is.

Speaking of atmosphere, what is Baltimore like? Here in Seattle I never smell that "city funk" that I've smelled in New York and Chicago. Those cities always feel the same to me--the air doesn't change, it just gets hotter and colder. In Seattle, on the other hand, you can be riding between skyscrapers and the air might feel like you're a mile offshore on the deck of a fishing boat.

Some of these shots give me the impression that Baltimore could transport you like that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Arby great shots, love the b&w. Reminds me of when I was a kid and my mom took pictures of our childhood.

Apr 2004
    nice shots.

to deal with left pedal squeak: wd-40/lube the pedal where u clip in.

sd

Mar 2005

hmm...

I am the only one slightly amused by the fact that the same post the says "nothing to break" discribes something that is broken?

Just hits a bit close to home since I recently had to replace my rear fixed hub.

MB1 you're alright man.

A no frills (yet so frill packed), ordinary, super simple, fixed gear is THE city bike. Nothing to break, nothing to brake and nothing but silent, smooth spinning.

I haven't been riding my fixed this last week because I have a mystery squeak that has manifested into a mystery SHREAK... everytime I put weight into my left pedal stroke my crank/bb/pedal area squeals so embarassingly. When I stand up to sprint up Charles St on my way home it's like.. "SQUEAK! SQUEAK! HEY, LOOK AT ME! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!" I've been too busy to give her the attention she needs though, and have been riding the road or cross bike to work this week.

I have two races this weekend, but come monday (recovery day) I'll have time to give er' some lovin'.

RB1

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    I always figured you for a SS crosser. Nice ride though.