Spooktacular century - Bakersfield CA (illustrated ride report)
    Tourist

Spooktacular century - Bakersfield CA (illustrated ride report)

A century with 10,000ft of climbing - ok, this is not easy, but I've done a bunch of them, no later than last week (see http://www.vision.caltech.edu/pmoree...yCenturyOct06/ ), so I registered for the Spooktacular century.

Well, if you hear of Breckenridge mountain, just keep off of it. That thing is steep. And on both sides, even, with sand and dirt to prevent you from going downhill as fast as you would like. On the other big downhill of the century, there was plenty of headwind, so no rest either.

Anyway, the full report with pictures is on
    http://www.vision.caltech.edu/pmoree...rCenturyOct06/

Below: at all rest stops the organizers were in Halloween costume.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pierre; 10-17-2006 at 04:02 PM.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

Great ride, great club.

I did that ride back in the day. As I recall plenty of the riders were in costume too (which was a good thing for those long cold downhills-although not so great for the climbs).
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Go Blue
    Are you playing catch up for all of the time that you spent surfing this summer? Two centuries (with climbing) on back-to-back weekends. If you keep this up, you will be in the same league with MB1 and Miss M. It looks like you had a great ride notwithstanding the less-than-perfect support. But, if anyone is self sufficient and able to take care of himself when it comes to food on a ride, it is you. I really wish that we had long climbs on the East Coast like you have in California.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

You want long climbs?

Free up a Sunday and give us a call. We will take you on the "Big Flat Ride".

Bring your climbing gears.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Go Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    Free up a Sunday and give us a call. We will take you on the "Big Flat Ride".

Bring your climbing gears.
    Let me check my weekend calendar (or, more accurately, let me check Mrs. S's weekend calendar). It will not be this weekend, I know.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Tourist
    I would not even think of competing with Mark B. No training during the week, a century with plenty of climbing on saturdays, that's how I see cycling. It works only because I'm still young.... and Mark B must have a dinosaur's skin in the bottom, he doesn't go fast, but never stops. I like stopping a long time, on occasions I've even napped on the side of the road.

And surfing is great - wave forecast for tomorrow is good, I might go before work.

By the way, I'm self-sufficient for food supplies on a ride.I've even stopped cars to ask for food on a ride where I was slow and food was going out faster than miles. But when I pay 40-45$ for a century, I have high expectations. You can go a long way with 40-45$ x plenty of riders, in terms of food & gas.