Spring is sprung in England
    all the gear - no idea
    Sep 2003

Spring is sprung in England

Things you might see if you Look in the English countryside this spring - pretty villages, thatched cottages, new born lambs, calves, alpacas (!really!), birds nesting in strange places, village duckponds, twisting lanes, wild flowers & bluebell woods...
    Attached Images Attached Images

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Nice.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Beautiful hills.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks like the Shire. Was half expecting Gandalf carting along.... thanks for the pix!

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Where are you?
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    a little investigative work places him in Oxfordshire and Wiltshire.
    I really miss riding in England. Since moving back to Canada my rides just haven't been the same.
    The main problem is that really rural roads here are built in long straight lines and are often dirt/gravel. As opposed to the huge network of windy paved lanes in the English countryside that are so great for cycling.
    I took some pics about the same time last year of a ride I did in Devon and posted them here. I should try and dig that up for a bit of nostalgia.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Wonderful pics.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

This space for sale
    There are some nice reasons to get on the bike and go for ride. Nice work

waterproof*
    Very nice.

But... a French bike... really?
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    cool pics, thanks........

all the gear - no idea
    Sep 2003

thanks...

I live in Southern England on the borders of Berkshire/Wiltshire/Oxfordshire - if that sounds like the Bermuda triangle, it is very easy to get lost in the lanes round here! And whilst I have not yet seen Gandalf there are some peculiar locals ;)

We are lucky to have such great rides right on the doorstep and most of the lanes are very quiet with great scenery; you just get the odd idiot in a beemer or chelsea tractor trying to mow you down.

The Look is a dream for a long time Trekkie (still got my faithful old 1999 'lance' model, the 2008 madone 6 series had 'issues' and had to go!)

Thanks to all respondents - glad you enjoyed the views.