Studs or No Studs
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

Studs or No Studs

I plan on riding this winter and not sure about riding with studded tires. It can get pretty icy and snow covered in this area.

Do you commute with studs or no studs? If so, how many studs\tire make would you recommend for the best commute.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Studs, I ordered another pair of Nokians since I'll be commuting on a 26er this winter. Can't remember how many, I'll let you know when they come.

Now I got to go commute through last nights snow.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Studs, because I hate falling off my bike in traffic.

I ride 700c and use the Nokian W106 in 35 mm. I've heard good things about the Schwalbes too.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Studs are sweet, we run the 106's.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Low rep power
    Studs. No question.

Nokian W106 (on my MTB)

RoadBikeReview Member
    +1. Nokian W106 700 x 35c. Very good grip but be prepared for a dragging feeling like riding through sand. On the plus side when you take them off in the Spring, you'll feel euro pro fast going back to regular tires.

singlecross
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    ... somehow, I donít know how, I want to influence a trend toward just riding... just riding like kids ride, but as adults. - Grant Petersen

banned
    Studs are great.

If your city/whatever plows regularly, less aggressive studs/tires are probably ok.

If your city gives up on plowing and you've got a ton of flash-frozen rutted slush and ice, get big studded knobbies.

+1 on the "good god are these things heavy"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by saf-t
    Studs. No question.

Nokian W106 (on my MTB)
    I think I'm going with the 106's on my mtb commuter. It sounds like they roll not bad, but still keep you upright.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Yeah, studs are the way to go. I use Nokian Mount and Grounds on mine (not sure how many studs they have). They don't have studs on the tire's centerline so that helps with the rolling resitstance and noise on the dry sections.

If you don't mind spending the $ I recommend getting a 2nd set of wheels of the same size (brake track wise) sou you can mount your studs/non-studs to each set for quick switches. It's a drag to wake up for work, surprised by a snow/ice storm, and have to swap tires. Much easier to swap wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I agree- an extra wheelset is the way to go.

I use Nokian Extremes--- and I could bike on a hockey rink. It is safer than walking. It messes with my head if I think about it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by dir-t
    Yeah, studs are the way to go. I use Nokian Mount and Grounds on mine (not sure how many studs they have). They don't have studs on the tire's centerline so that helps with the rolling resitstance and noise on the dry sections.

If you don't mind spending the $ I recommend getting a 2nd set of wheels of the same size (brake track wise) sou you can mount your studs/non-studs to each set for quick switches. It's a drag to wake up for work, surprised by a snow/ice storm, and have to swap tires. Much easier to swap wheels.

MTT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Why not go with three wheels? See link to blog below.......MTT