Tire width vs. rim width
    zpl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007

Tire width vs. rim width

I'm asking this in the Commuting forum since I know many of you ride with wider tires. I just took my brand new Salsa Casseroll Triple on its maiden voyage this morning. The bike came with 700x32 tires that have some tread. Coming from a Specialized Allez, the road feel was pretty tank-like.

The width of my rims also seems enormous compared to my Allez. A sticker on them says they are 22.5mm wide. Now I don't care to run 23mm tires anymore, but I'm wondering if I should be able to run 25mm ones without issues?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Larger rims are really for larger tires. Not sure how small you can go, but some stuff here:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

N. Hollywood, CA
    Feb 2005
    I think Sheldon has a rule of 1.5 to 1 on the wide side of the tire. Unsure about rules of thumb for skinny tires on wide rims. I'd hesitate to go below 1:1, meaning don't try a 19mm racing tire on 22.5 rims. You will not have any problem running 25mm tires, although perhaps they won't be as round in profile as if they were on a narrower rim.

Your reaction to the wide tires and rims seems based on emotion, but what about need? If you're skinny and tend to ride like a "roadie", perhaps 32mm is a tad wide and maybe a superlight 28mm (like the Grand Bois tires) would give you some of that "performance" feel. But then why get a Casseroll, triple, if you don't need modest-to-wide tires? Certainly you didn't get the bike to keep up with the local crit...
    VC - It's the vehicular code.

zpl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ispoke
    Your reaction to the wide tires and rims seems based on emotion, but what about need? If you're skinny and tend to ride like a "roadie", perhaps 32mm is a tad wide and maybe a superlight 28mm (like the Grand Bois tires) would give you some of that "performance" feel. But then why get a Casseroll, triple, if you don't need modest-to-wide tires? Certainly you didn't get the bike to keep up with the local crit...
    I picked up some 25mm Conti GP4000s and mounted them for a ride Sunday morning. They fit fine and round out nicely.

I do admit I'm still coming to terms with the differences between the Casseroll and my Allez. I bought the Salsa because I wanted a more comfortable road bike that I could mount full fenders on and use for everything - commuting, long rides, and even some faster group rides. I'm a 230 lb Clydesdale and so the option to put on wider tires is very welcome. I'm sure I'll throw the 32s back on come winter time.

N. Hollywood, CA
    Feb 2005
    Sounds like the long term solution is 2 pairs of wheels, or don't give up the Allez! 2 bikes are way better than one bike with 2 pairs of hoops.

I love commuting on fat, soft 32s while racked up with loaded panniers. But admittedly most wide tires are heavy dogs that would put a damper on spirited weekend rides. That's where bike #2 comes in...
    VC - It's the vehicular code.

banned from the museum
    Aug 2007
    It sounds to me like you may want 32's, just a different brand. Try a few other tires, and you are bound to find one that you like.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zpl
    The bike came with 700x32 tires that have some tread. Coming from a Specialized Allez, the road feel was pretty tank-like.
    Keep in mind that wider tires need to be run at much lower pressures than narrower ones if you want a more comfortable ride. At identical pressures, a wider tire will feel much harsher than a narrower one.