tires, tires, tires

Jan 2008

tires, tires, tires

Hello all, this is my first post here, I am relatively new to commuting and have a small question. I have a hybrid bike, which I love due to being a avid mtn biker, and it came with 28c tires. My question is that when they wear out would I be wise to replace them with a larger size? It seems to ride a little rougher than I would like, and was wondering if the larger tire size would soften that up without slowing me down to much. I am also wondering what a good tire in that size might be, I know mtn bike tires, but have no clue about road or cross' tires. I ride mostly rural roads out here in AZ with very, very small rollers. Thanks for any input.

Tim
    Last edited by sparky821; 01-18-2008 at 06:18 PM.

What'd I do?
    The speed depends on what you replace them with, and how sensitive you are to it. There are definitely faster and slower road tires, but most folks in this forum don't care much about speed. Just durability, comfort and handling (not necessarily in that order).

As for comfort, when you need to replace the tires, just get some 32c, and see if you can tell the difference, or even some 35's. Most people I've seen make that switch can tell a difference right away, even if they don't know why.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky821
    It seems to ride a little rougher than I would like, and was wondering if the larger tire size would soften that up without slowing me down to much.
    How's your air pressure? Less than maximum will soften the ride without a significant add to rolling resistance.

Jan 2008
    I am running about 80 psi front and rear. The ride is not that bad, I just would like a little more cush. My mtn bike has 6" front and rear, so going to a full rigid with skinny tires was a little bit of a shock to me. It is mostly my hands that need the softer ride, would a carbon bar give me that cush, Then I could keep the smaller tires?

Tim
    Life may suck, but the alternative is unacceptable.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but, I am not sure that you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

What'd I do?
    I am running about 80 psi front and rear. The ride is not that bad, I just would like a little more cush. My mtn bike has 6" front and rear, so going to a full rigid with skinny tires was a little bit of a shock to me. It is mostly my hands that need the softer ride, would a carbon bar give me that cush, Then I could keep the smaller tires?

Tim
    Try a 35c tire at around 80lbs or so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OverStuffed
    Try a 35c tire at around 80lbs or so.
    I second this. That is exactly what I run on my commuting bike. It gives me a nice ride even on rough roads and I can easily cycle on non-technical trails as well.
    As I grow older I will remember the first light on the water, my will to win, the strength of my arms and the power of the crew.

Bike Dude
    Sep 2003
    I like the Panaracers in 35's. Works well on my gurlie's Trek Hybrid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thommy
    I like the Panaracers in 35's. Works well on my gurlie's Trek Hybrid.
    Those tires are nice but my favourites are the Schwalbe Marathon.
    As I grow older I will remember the first light on the water, my will to win, the strength of my arms and the power of the crew.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I'm a big fan of 32c Panaracer Urban Max. Roll fast, durable, and no hassle. I'm on my 2nd set, after foolishly trying Conti Ultrasports after my first Panas wore out.

I'll probably go down to 28c Urban Max's when the bad weather finishes up for the winter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Panaracer Pasela TG 700x35, run @ about 65lbs. They love dirt roads, and are plush on bad pavement.

Yo no fui.

Tim
    You're hoping to have an apple ride like an orange. No rigid bike is going to feel anything like a bike with six inches of travel fron and rear.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

Jan 2008
    You're hoping to have an apple ride like an orange. No rigid bike is going to feel anything like a bike with six inches of travel fron and rear......

not really, just a little more comfort, Id have to be a complete moron to expect a rigid to ride like my full squishy mtn bike. On a positive note, I did drop the pressure down to 75 psi and that seemed to do the trick for now. Maybe when this set wears out I will get some 32 or similar size.

Tim
    Life may suck, but the alternative is unacceptable.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but, I am not sure that you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

MTT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I just got the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 35s and they grip very well in the cold wet conditions up here in Seattle. I would recommend them, but they are spendy, so make sure you are going to ride often..........MTT