Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Vacation. Some road, some dirt and some slickrock.

3K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  Velo Vol 
#1 ·
Summer vacation this year was supposed to be a 10 day trip starting in Moab, UT, a night in Aspen, CO, and a couple of days in Colorado Springs to ride the incline railway to the top of Pikes Peak. This was a family vacation and not a bike trip. But, the family sleeps late, so the bike comes along and I can get in rides early in the morning. The second day out, my van threw a rod climbing the mountain out of Denver. We coasted downhill into Silverthorne, Co, found a repair shop, and were on our way in less than an hour. Until, my daughter saw the Coach factory outlet and had to stop. I was mad about the van but agreed to stop. That’s when I saw the Pearl Izumi outlet. If you are traveling I-70 through Silverthorne, CO, it’s worth a stop.

#2 ·
First stop Moab, UT

I only did one true MTB trail. I hooked up with a guided group to do the Klondike Bluffs trail.
1. On the way to meet the group
2. Trail sign
3. Slickrock
4. Dinosaur tracks
5. Steep climb

#3 ·
1. At the top, high dollar bike are left unattended for the hike into Arches NP.
2. Jack rabbit
3. Me on the bluffs
4. Klondike Bluffs
5. Headed back down.

#4 ·
Kane Creek Road

Kane Creek Road runs south of Moab along the Colorado River. It follows the river though the Portal for about five miles and the heads up Kane creek Canyon.

1. Leaving the motel on the MUT.
2. Kane Creek rd. through the Portal.
3. I don’t think I’ll try the Moab Rim Trail.

#6 ·
Sand Flats Rd. leads to the famous Slickrock Trail that has made Moab so well know to the MTB world. Everybody has seen the video of the Blazer coming down the narrow rock and crashing off the side. That’s Lions Back, just off Sand Flats.

1. Up Sand Flats Rd.
2. Lions Back
3. Looking back at Moab and the Moab Rim.
4. Fins
5. MUT back into town.

#8 ·
Aspen

After Moab, we went to Aspen, CO. One night in that town is enough for by budget. Aspen is very bike friendly. There were bikes everywhere. I never saw so many townies and cruisers in my life. I rode out the MUT toward Snowmass and back on the dirt rail trail on the other side of the river.

1. Hotel
2. Typical Aspen home
3. View from the bike trail
4. Down by the river
5. Aspen bike rack

#10 ·
Next stop Pikes Peak.

Manitou springs is the town at the base of Pikes Peak. It’s a suburb of Colorado Springs. This was the last planed stop of the trip. But because of having to wait for the van to be fixed, we had a couple extra days there. I got in nice rides around town, in the Garden of the Gods, and Red Rock Canyon.

1. Manitou Springs and Pikes Peak
2. We had dinner here.
3. Miramont Castle
4. Downtown Manitou
5. Hotel

#15 ·
Back to Silverthorne

We drove back to Silverthorne to pick up the van on the Fourth of July. It was not going to be ready until Friday, so we had a couple of nights to spend there. Silverthorne is on the north side of I-70. Dillion is on the south side with Lake Dillion. At the other end of the lake is Frisco. The towns feed the ski resorts of Keystone, Copper Mountain, Breckenridge and Vail.

1. The reason to be here.
2. Might as well enjoy the show.

#16 ·
Dillion

There is a MUT that runs almost all the way around Lake Dillion. There are legs that run to Breckenridge, Keystone, and Silverthorne. I rode to Frisco and back.

1. View from the motel
2. Lake Dillion
3. A bay on the lake

#22 ·
Nice trip. You covered some of my favorite places. Beautiful pics.

Klondike Bluffs. We usually do that one as a second ride of a day. The bet is the first one to put a foot down has to buy the beer at dinner.. Last time out, I made it to the top and back down off the slickrock before sliding out in the wash. That's okay though, I knew I had a free beer from a friend already in the bag.

I haven't been to Manitou in quite a while. In needed an idea for my wife's birthday. I think that may be it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.