Vineyard Haven to Gay Head Ma.
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

Vineyard Haven to Gay Head Ma.

I need info, on route cues for cycling from Vineyard Haven to Gay Head. I am planning on doing this one weekend this month catching an early ferry in Woods Hole and returning by 3:00 PM Total trip length less than 50 and flat with few moderate climbs. The last time I rode in the Vineyard was about 25 years ago. I still remember the climb to Gay Head. I'm older but in good biking shape and have superior equipment that will allow a 13-14 mph average with no more than a 60 cadence.

Thanks for the help

KWM53

For president!
    Here's the route I would use. Go out on North Rd. and come back on Middle Rd. Nice little hills the whole way.
    Formidable Pharmacologically

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

excellent ride ahead of you!

I did very similar route to that from silas just 2 weeks ago, and agree that North and Middle roads are very nice. one significant improvement: there is a bicycle ferry at Menemsha. for $5, you get a ride across Menemsha bite, so you can do a true loop. it drops you at west basin and then you can ride up Lighthouse road. with good weather, a fabulous ride.

one thing I figured out about vineyard traffic: if you are riding a road from Vineyard Haven and are frustrated by the amount of truck traffic, take a break on side of road for 10-20 minutes, since it is likely result of incoming ferry, and will soon pass.

enjoy!

For president!
    Quote Originally Posted by spoke2spoon
    I did very similar route to that from silas just 2 weeks ago, and agree that North and Middle roads are very nice. one significant improvement: there is a bicycle ferry at Menemsha. for $5, you get a ride across Menemsha bite, so you can do a true loop. it drops you at west basin and then you can ride up Lighthouse road. with good weather, a fabulous ride.

one thing I figured out about vineyard traffic: if you are riding a road from Vineyard Haven and are frustrated by the amount of truck traffic, take a break on side of road for 10-20 minutes, since it is likely result of incoming ferry, and will soon pass.

enjoy!
    The Menemsha ferry is a nice change, and it will significantly cut the mileage and the number of hills. If it's 11am you can stop at the Menemsha Galley and grab a bite to eat too.

Whatever you do, don't go down to Menemsha and change your mind, that's a tough little hill on the way out.
    Formidable Pharmacologically

Travels by Map
    Quote Originally Posted by SilasCL
    Here's the route I would use. Go out on North Rd. and come back on Middle Rd. Nice little hills the whole way.
    North Rd. is one of my favorites on the island for some reason, and the part in West Tisbury was recently repaved. They didn't even have lines painted yet when I was there a few weeks ago.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Another option is to head toward the middle of the Island and go through the state forest which has bike paths and then use Middle road to Beetlebung corner and then to the Menemsha Bike ferry from there. I think Middle Road has less traffic than North Road, which is why I'd prefer it.