a Wednesday in downtown L.A.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Born from JortsŪ

a Wednesday in downtown L.A.

we closed the office today so I decided to hop on the Redline subway and head downtown, see what I can find.

My usual embarking point: the subway station at Universal Studios.

First stop: the Los Angeles Central Library, downtown. Its been years since I've been inside and I had just read in the newspaper that they have one hour docent-guided tours at 12:30. Got there just in time to join in.

The Children's section, part of the "old" library. An arson fire in 1986 ruined hundreds of thousands of volumes and closed the library for 7 years while it was repaired and restored.

Checking out the pomegranates and persimmons at a Farmers market

Next stop is Clifton's Cafeteria. Opened in 1931 and still going strong. My mother used to take the trolley cars here as a teenager to have lunch with her girlfriends.

the cavernous, kitschy interior makes you feel like you're in a lodge in the Sierra-Nevadas. Moose, deer, bear and running waterfalls compliment the downtown dining experience.

wouldn't be a cafeteria without Jello.

Across from Clifton's in the deco Eastern-Columbia building, built in 1929.

Old meets new.

the original Hipster? or, a nod to MB1.

Broadway Bar

Next stop: the rooftop bar at The Standard hotel. Its a trendy see-and-be-seen spot after dark, but it has one of the best views of the skyline. I ignore the phonies and enjoy for what it is - a great location for a drink with a killer view. After getting a couple shots, I got the "no photography, sir" tap on the shoulder. Seems to be happening to me a lot lately. Rooftop pool adjacent to the bar.

Waterbed pods

Standard after dark, from my seat at the bar.

bike and Frank Gehry's Disney Hall.

BUSTED!!! I rode by and saw these kids inside a building! Then I looked closer and realized it was an art piece in a performing arts building. Whew!

At 6:30pm I met up with the messenger crowd for their annual Cranksgiving alley cat race. Racers must hit 7 markets, purchase specific food items and get their manifest signed off. All the groceries are then dropped off at a chosen charity at the end of the race.

Rode back to the train station and headed home. A pretty full day!

happy holidays.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hollywood; 11-22-2007 at 09:13 AM.

Aug 2007
    those are some sweet pics there hollywood! what kind of camera are you using? are you usually the only one on the subway with a bike? do you get funny looks? i'm diggin' the livewrong sticker and your ride!

//gettin' funny looks is cool.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Sweetness!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Your pics & bike = art.

"Then I looked closer and realized it was an art piece inside a performing arts building." But hat kind of art- well, beauty truly IS in the eye of the beholder.

Festina Lente'
    Dang. That was freakin sweet!
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

Born from JortsŪ
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    Sweetness!
    thanks!! But I'll leave the *real* photography to the pros

This was pretty much just a stop/shoot/pedal/repeat kind of day, but something I've been wanting to do for a long time. SO much more to see and shoot. A beautiful day downtown, sunny and maybe 70. There were a few more undocumented stops; coffee, bikes shops, etc. I covered a pretty good area too, cruising the city looking for photo opps, and not all areas were, er, *expensive camera friendly*.

what kind of camera are you using? are you usually the only one on the subway with a bike? do you get funny looks?
    Nikon D200 dslr.
    No.
    usually

//thanks for making me sticky.

hello
    Excellent!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Awesome!
    Envious!
    Looked like fun!

gobble gobble

Back from the dead
    It's really amazing sometimes to see the wonderful old buildings downtown, because it was always so rare to actually go there when I was living in L.A.

It was always a special treat when grandma would take us to Clifton's cafeteria, but we would go to the one in Century City.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Great post, Hwood. I have two nearly identical shots of Clifton's, taken the same day as the b+w shots I posted in your other thread. I won't post them here because 1) I don't want to hijack yet another of your threads, and 2) I'm saving them for somethin' special (that I'll be lucky to finish this time next year)

The Chrome bag around the statue: brilliant.
    The "no photography, sir" tap: WTF??? Same here. All the time now. It's made me really, really self-conscious.

Wish I could have joined you but duty called. I'll take a raincheck though.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Urbane
    Sep 2005
    nice. really nice. tripping on the library.

hello
    Is that the statue in front of Starbucks in Little Tokyo? I used to pose at that Starbucks and I thought it looked familiar.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Great stuff I've never been to most of those spots. Cept for Clifton's back in the 70's.

Sharp
    Hey H'wood, that was fun! Great glimpses into the city, thanks for the trip, really made me feel like I was there.

(... and I particularly loved the idea of the messenger race & charity drop, +eleventy !)

Festina Lente'
    Damn, that looks like tons of fun. I was thinking about the "urban" feel of the valley, rather the lack of it.

Again, good stuff dude! What do u do for a living? if you dont mind me askinns?

nK
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

Devoid of all flim-flam

Fine pics

Like George Hurrell, you really found Downtown's "good side." Coincidentally, at Thanksgiving Dinner tonight, my brother-in-law was babbling about the Eastern Columbia Bldg. Either he has a client there or he just got an office there. I couldn't quite hear over the din.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Nice pics. Thanks for bringing us along!

The cafeteria reminds me of the Madonna Inn in SLO.

Shrewdest Unit Mover
    Great pics and looks like a good day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Fantastic job, Hollywood.

Tomas
    TY (northcoast)

Born from JortsŪ
    Quote Originally Posted by roadfix
    Is that the statue in front of Starbucks in Little Tokyo?
    the very one!

turns out its also a popular Starbucks for the law enforcement crowd. I've never seen so many sidearms, or felt more safe at any other SB's.

Roebuck: thanks for not hijacking. again. I'm realizing you have a much better eye for scenic shots, while I try to just document a story. nttawwt. I'm working on a blog piece were I shot some other photos and got "the tap" again. Crazy. I try the "these aren't the droids you're looking for" technique. Works sometimes!

Potatoes
    Awesome post! It's nice to see the city from a different point of view. Cheers

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    I'm working on a blog piece were I shot some other photos and got "the tap" again. Crazy. I try the "these aren't the droids you're looking for" technique. Works sometimes!
    I just find it obscene that the point of the Standard is they have this great view, yet you can't take pictures from it. What a load of crap.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

DraftMaster
    Jul 2006
    That is a sweet trip report w/ superb pix.

How secure are the bike racks on the train?

Born from JortsŪ
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    I just find it obscene that the point of the Standard is they have this great view, yet you can't take pictures from it. What a load of crap.
    no, you can take pictures from it, just no lenses pointing inward at the decor. I got busted for the pool/pod shots. After that I shot all I wanted facing off the ledge.

rcordray: no bike racks on subways.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    no, you can take pictures from it, just no lenses pointing inward at the decor. I got busted for the pool/pod shots. After that I shot all I wanted facing off the ledge.
    Better, but still lame.

I wonder how they'd react if I busted out a tripod.
    -- Gut

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast