What do you wear to commute?
    Blah, Blah, Blah

What do you wear to commute?

I have a short commute on 1.7 miles one way, about 4km. I have to wear business attire (shirt, tie, dress pants, etc). Even though my commute is so short, I still wear just khaki shorts and a t-shirt to ride to work in the summer and Craft Storm pants, and heavy jacket, t-shirt, etc this time of year.
    I have a nice spacious men's room stall to change into my work clothes. I don't worry about showering since the commute is so short it hardly works up a stink.
    I was just wondering how many of you ride in fully clothed for work duty and how many of you drop your drawers at work and change out of some sort of cycling/workout attire.
    How many of you are lucky enough to have showers at work? My old job did, but after getting laid of (dang computer market) and finding a new job, the new place doesn't have showers.
    I've been doing this over a year now, and this is my first winter trying to commute no matter what the weather. I slapped on a Innove 700x45 studded tire on the front just last week, and it works awesome in the slush, ice, snow, etc we had.

Go Blue

Drop my drawers

Quote Originally Posted by onrhodes
    I was just wondering how many of you ride in fully clothed for work duty and how many of you drop your drawers at work and change out of some sort of cycling/workout attire.
    My commute is just under 15 miles. I always ride in cycling gear and change in the men's room at work. I don't have a shower, but I have perfected the "birdbath" using the sink in the men's room. However, unlike you, I do not commute every day -- I can use the off days for bringing clean clothes to work and taking dirty ones home. Also, I have lots of storage space for clothes, shoes and the like at the office. If my commute was a short as yours, I would ride fully clothed.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Ethical Nihilist
    My commute is about 14 miles each way which is long enough to work up a sweat so I ride in bike clothes, which I find more comfortable for riding, and shower and change at work. Your commute is short enough I could see doing it either way, unless you decide to add miles for training/fitness reasons.
    Work?! -- Maynard G. Krebs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    I wear sweats in the winter with heavy jacket. I carry my clothes/lunch in a messenger bag. My commute is 5 miles each way and we have shower facilities at work. It's a perfect setup and I even have wide bike lanes the entire route. During the summer, I wear shorts and tshirt.

Blah, Blah, Blah
    It is easier for me to get changed at work. I did not mention in my original post that I have a timbuk2 messenger back that holds everything I need just fine (and more). The thing is HUGE.
    I don't have storage at work as I share an office with 3 people at modular desks. So my clothes travel with me in the bag.
    My biggest reasoning for not riding into work fully clothed is that I can't imagine if I get dirty some how during the ride (puddle, dropped chain, wipe out) and I have to end up weaing my shirt/tie looking like crap.
    I should mention that I work of the State of NH, and as has happened in the past, you never know when the governor might come by. Doesn't look that good if I look like a bum off the street.....but then again, maybe the will pay me more to buy nicer clothes........
    I used to commute to another job 2-3 times a week in the summer that was 24 miles away one way. That was always fun.

pi makes wheels go round

drawer dropper

How many of you are lucky enough to have showers at work?
    My commute is also in the more than 10, less than 15 mile range (is it bad that i don't know? About 45 minutes). I change fully, and take my work clothes with me everyday, except for my shoes i keep in the locker. My office is very much on the casual dress side of things, but i bet i could make it work if i had to look spiffy.
    Fortunately, we do have a shower for those warmer days, but i tend to dress cooly and not work up a sweat so much, but i do towel off.

Sounds like you have a setup that works pretty well for you...

-Damon

Sep 2004

The governor should give you an award

I should mention that I work of the State of NH, and as has happened in the past, you never know when the governor might come by. Doesn't look that good if I look like a bum off the street.....but then again, maybe the will pay me more to buy nicer clothes........
    if he ever does stop by, because you're keeping one more car off the road!!!
    "There's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins

Sep 2004

I am so lucky

I work at a hospital, and after my 10 mile commute, I sneak into the physical therapy department, where they have a pool and a shower. It's actually nicer than my shower at home!
    "There's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins

RoadBikeReview Member

cycle-specific

My commute is 8 miles each way, with reasonable changing facilities.

Until last summer, just the usual bike-specific stuff: shorts and jersery in summer, shorts/tights/LS jersey/rain suit in the winter (this is Wisconsin).

This past summer, I started wearing an alertshirt (www.alertshirts.com, IIRC) and some light nike shorts over my cycling shorts. It makes me less self-conscious about stopping at a convenience store, etc., and sometimes, I have to run to a meeting at work right after arrival (fortunately, I work in the software industry, where clothing is all but optional).

I shower before I leave home, and never have stink problems; my clothing and gear goes into a Carradice bag slung on the back of my saddle.

Cheese is my copilot
    I wear jeans (or shorts) and a t-shirt at work, and that's what I commute in as well. Its only 3 miles. The only cycling specific things I wear regularly while commuting are shoes and a helmet.