Why No Fenders
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why No Fenders

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006

Why No Fenders

Fenders keep you clean, dry and comfortable so I highly recommend them on any commuter bike and even when training on road bikes in the winter.

You want fenders that are wider than the tire and cover as much of the tire as possible, like my One Way:

My first commuter was a road bike with tiny clip on fenders, they helped, but I still got wet and I did not know what I was missing. When I got my One Way with big fenders I was surprised at how my feet were even staying so dry through puddles. It was like I was driving a car to work.

For the nay-sayers:
    "I shower at work, so I don't need fenders. Wet is Wet"
    -- You would be much better off with fenders, because even if it is not raining and the roads are wet, you will get hosed down with oily and dirty, grit water from the road. Fenders will keep you from having to put on dirty and wet riding clothes when you commute home or prevent you from going through two commuting outfits a day.

Try fenders.

MTBR Member
    Last summer, I commuted by bike rain or shine. It only took me two rainy days to realize I wanted fenders.

RoadBikeReview Member
    To me, the nicest thing about fenders is how much cleaner they keep your bike. Riding in the rain or wet roads can really get your drive train filthy, but fenders help a lot. I don't generally commute on days when it's raining when I get up, but will ride if the roads are wet with no rain or sprinkles, plus I sometimes get caught in the rain on the way home.

Ethical Nihilist
    Some people like to get dirty.
    Work?! -- Maynard G. Krebs

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Real Men don't need no stinkin' fenders, because Real Men are actually little wussies who fear the rain and beat a hasty retreat to their cars at the least sign of dampness.

For the rest of us, there are fenders.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel2
    Riding in the rain or wet roads can really get your drive train filthy, but fenders help a lot.
    I have not noticed that fenders help with this. How low does your front fender go?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    And looking cool is a priority for many.

Don't forget Disc-Brakes & racks. As far as I am concerned, there really is a commuter bike standard. Sure you can bike on anything, but for day in - day out riders the combination of drop bars, fenders, rear racks and disc brakes reigns supreme.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I have not noticed that fenders help with this. How low does your front fender go?
    This is the key. The OP's fenders are pretty good - but I think you can get them lower - if not, custom mudflaps are in order. I just ordered some Planet Bike Cascadias after fitting Planet Bike "Hardcore" fenders to my BUZZ road bike. You could tell right away, there wasn't quite enough drop with the front fender. Hopefully the Cascadias will be just right.

banned
    I love my fenders, but there is one place where they suck- carrying a bike on a roof rack.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by buck-50
    I love my fenders, but there is one place where they suck- carrying a bike on a roof rack.
    Also - not so good for wheeling around the garage on the rear wheel. Mandatory practice if your garage is as organized as mine.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aking legs
    Also - not so good for wheeling around the garage on the rear wheel. Mandatory practice if your garage is as organized as mine.
    I've learned to pick it up by the seat tube and carry it nose down- that seems to work.

No Crybabies

sometimes

I keep fenders on one multi-speed bike and one fixed gear, both of which I use for commuting in the "rainy season." As you can see, most of the time here in Fresno, California, fenders are completely unnecessary.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When my fist clenches, crack it open
    Before I use it and lose my cool
    When I smile, tell me some bad news
    Before I laugh and act like a fool

Yo no fui.
    I'm generally with Fixed, due to the fact that I live in the arid West. The roads are, practically, always dry here. The only time you ride across water is if there is a pile of melting snow draining across the road or if a srinkler is malfunctioning and draining across the road.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

Low rep power
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixed
    I keep fenders on one multi-speed bike and one fixed gear, both of which I use for commuting in the "rainy season." As you can see, most of the time here in Fresno, California, fenders are completely unnecessary.

We had significantly more rain that that- just last month!

And yes, I have fenders on my commuter,and just grabbed a set of cruds to try on my other bike.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixed
    Completely valid point. Some areas just don't see a lot of rain. Plus, not everyone relies solely on their bike for transportation, and may choose a different option on rainy days.

duh...
    why no fenders?
    skip to about 3:10

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    why no fenders?
    skip to about 3:10
    Or take a few minutes out of your day and watch the whole thing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    Vanity is the usual reason for no fenders. Then again Honjos or wood fenders can be effective and vain. A delightful combination!

If I lived in a dry place I can see no fenders. My touring bike/commuter always has fenders, the roadie usually does, the winter bike always does, the crosser and mtb never do. I ride rain and shine so I want to be as comfy as possible. I guess for those people who don't ride in the rain fenders aren't needed.

Bacon!
    Rain, what's rain? Friggin' desert.

RoadBikeReview Member

Pacific Northwest = Fenders

Repost: fenders help keep the chain clean too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

m_s
    oh lonesome road for you
    Nov 2007
    I have a bike with full fenders but the new fixed gear I built for commuting just has a rear clip on fender. It at least keeps me from getting a filthy back. It is a cyclocross/touring frame and I built it to ride in all conditions. I was worried snow might build up too much with full fenders. I might put on full fenders now that that's not a problem, but it doesn't feel urgent to me.

YMMV. This has a lot to do with where you commute. I bring the full fendered bike when I'm in Portland visiting family

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Quote Originally Posted by aking legs
    Sure you can bike on anything, but for day in - day out riders the combination of drop bars, fenders, rear racks and disc brakes reigns supreme.
    Amen, brother, amen.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brucew
    Amen, brother, amen.
    WOW. What an amazing bike. Sweet commuter indeed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rmsmith
    Repost: fenders help keep the chain clean too.
    Now those are good fender extenders.

I learned of fenders when I moved to Oregon to go to school (Beavers). I started road biking and the unwritten rule on group rides was not only do to have to have fenders, but you also have to have a "fender extender". The fender extender blocks the rooster tail of water so that your riding buddies don't get wet.

I tried to get roadies in the the area to try this in the winter, but they are afraid that they would look like a Fred.

RoadBikeReview Member

fenders

Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I've got Planet Bike Cascadias on my commuter bike. They extend fairly low, but I think the mudflaps are what really make the difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast