1" steerer options for carbon fork?
    Russian Troll Farmer

1" steerer options for carbon fork?

I'm considering upgrading my 25 year old Kinesis bonded aluminum fork on my retro-classic 531 Trek frame into something carbon, but I'm not certain what is available out there. I could go threaded or threadless, with a steel steerer or not, but my steer tube is about 7" (large frame) so the steerer has to be long enough to work. What's available out there for me? Oh, and it has to be able to fit 28mm tires.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Check out the Columbus Minimal fork. CF legs and steer tube, very light weight. It is a beautiful top quality fork from a well-respected company. I ordered mine from Chain Reaction. With shipping they were about the cheapest I could find. FWIW, the stated weight (whatever it is, too lazy to look it up) is accurate, if not a few grams over-stated. I'm very happy with this fork which I installed on a mid-90s Litesepeed titanium frame I purchased this spring.

I thought long and hard about going with a threaded fork, because it would look nice on this particular frame, but I had the parts to build it up threadless, including a King headset that came with the frame, and this fork is nice looking, from a respected company, about as light as any full-carbon fork out there, plus it was readily available. So I went threadless.

If you buy the Columbus Minimal I should tell you that mine came with an expansion plug (or as they say in GB, "bung"). That was an issue to me because the product information did not state that fact, and the Chain Reaction folks did not know about this when I contacted them to try to get a bung added to the fork I'd already ordered to avoid what their online ordering was going to charge me an additional $30+ shipping for! ( I think/ hope they have corrected that by now).

Anyway, I was all in a tizzy finding and ordering a 1" expansion plug to arrive by the time I got the fork so I could get my frame built up ASAP. 1" plugs aren't all that common. It wasn't a huge deal, costing me a bit of wasted unnecessary effort finding, ordering and then returning.

Russian Troll Farmer
    AARRGGGHHH! Between having a rake of 55mm and a steerer length of greater than 300mm, I can't find ANYTHING outside of a cyclocross fork in CF. Although my current fork has a rake of 45mm, the lack of trail (as well as lack of a 4mm spacer to level the frame) has always made it 'twitchy' at speed. I suppose that a fork with a rake closer to 50mm will be an improvement, but all of those have steerers no larger than 300mm. I saw one with a 480mm steerer (that was the CX fork), but nothing else in caliper-style. I may need a custom-built fork, and that's gonna co$$$$t!

Even though this frame was one of the early Trek frames, it's geometry is so 'old-school' that it seems to be not very compatible with modern forks. There are several retro-builders out there who have steel forks, but I was looking for something a bit more "steam punk".
    Last edited by No Time Toulouse; 07-31-2019 at 04:23 AM.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    AARRGGGHHH! Between having a rake of 55mm and a steerer length of greater than 300mm, I can't find ANYTHING outside of a cyclocross fork in CF. Although my current fork has a rake of 45mm, the lack of trail (as well as lack of a 4mm spacer to level the frame) has always made it 'twitchy' at speed. I suppose that a fork with a rake closer to 50mm will be an improvement, but all of those have steerers no larger than 300mm. I saw one with a 480mm steerer (that was the CX fork), but nothing else in caliper-style. I may need a custom-built fork, and that's gonna co$$$$t!

Even though this frame was one of the early Trek frames, it's geometry is so 'old-school' that it seems to be not very compatible with modern forks. There are several retro-builders out there who have steel forks, but I was looking for something a bit more "steam punk".
    It's amazing how quickly 1" carbon forks fell off the marketplace. I was refurbishing my 1999 Litespeed several years ago and wanted to put a 1" Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork on it. The fork I should have opted for when I bought the frame and bought a Look HSC2 instead. I must have looked for months before I found a decent used one. I considered a Wound Up, but the outfit never responded to my emails -- plus the rake wasn't quite right -- and also ... its an ugly fork.

I'd bet with that frame, you're looking at getting something custom made. Those old Trek frames are really nice. I'd consider spending the money if I had one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Increasing fork rake will decrease trail, thus making the bike even more twitchy. If you want to increase the trail, then you want a fork with less rake, not more.

this is the reason why large frames (steep head angle) usually use forks with less rake (eg, 43mm), and small frames (shallow head angle) use forks with more rake (eg, 50mm), so that the resultant trails of both the large and small frames are the same, giving both frames similar handling characteristics (there are other factors affecting handling too but this is beyond the scope of discussion)

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've got a Reynolds EC90 with a Cane Creek headset if you're interested. 250mm steerer but don't remember the rake.

IMG_1910.jpgIMG_1912.jpgIMG_1913.jpgIMG_1914.jpgIMG_1916.jpgIMG_1918.jpgIMG_1919.jpg

$100 shipped
    Too old to ride plastic

Russian Troll Farmer
    Well, they come in 40,43,45, and 50mm. It is probably marked somewhere. Also, what is the largest tire that will fit under the crown?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, they come in 40,43,45, and 50mm. It is probably marked somewhere. Also, what is the largest tire that will fit under the crown?
    Like I said, I don't remember the rake, maybe 43 or 45, but not sure. A mounted 32, 30mm measured, fit with about 2mm room: 1mm each side.
    Here's a picture of what's on the steerer, maybe you can decipher it.

IMG_1920.jpg

30mm tire is wrong info. I went back and mounted the wheel in the fork and the 30mm tire rubs the crown, too tall. I tried a wheel with a 25mm, measured, tire and it fit with maybe 2/3mm each side and 4/5 on top.

IMG_1921.jpgIMG_1922.jpgIMG_1923.jpg
    Last edited by velodog; 08-04-2019 at 01:00 PM. Reason: correction
    Too old to ride plastic