10 speed chainset, 9 speed chain; problems?

Jul 2003

10 speed chainset, 9 speed chain; problems?

I have the opportunity to get a 10 speed Campagnolo Record chainset for not too much; the bike it has to go on uses a 9 speed drivetrain so far. The chain is a SRAM PC89R. Will I be OK, or will I have the chain rubbing somewhere on the chainset?
    And goodnight to the street sweepers, the night watchmen flame keepers, and goodnight to Mathilda, too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

should be OK..

The big ring on a campy 10 crank is .4mm (.016 inch) closer to the little ring. The worst that might happen is the chain rubbing the big ring when you're in the little ring and next to smallest cog.

You can buy spacers to correct the spacing if necessary.

Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    The big ring on a campy 10 crank is .4mm (.016 inch) closer to the little ring. The worst that might happen is the chain rubbing the big ring when you're in the little ring and next to smallest cog.

You can buy spacers to correct the spacing if necessary.
    Thanks C-40. That's a pretty convincing answer. I'm not into riding that combo anyway.
    And goodnight to the street sweepers, the night watchmen flame keepers, and goodnight to Mathilda, too.

Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by t5rguy
    I have the opportunity to get a 10 speed Campagnolo Record chainset for not too much
    More than one -- like, do you have a retail source offering great pricing, or is this just a one-off?

TIA.