10-speed shifters work with one wheelset but not with another
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020

10-speed shifters work with one wheelset but not with another

EDIT: Solution at the bottom

Hi, all

I have an issue with the shifting for my bike, a Giant TCR C1. It seems like the shifters for the Giant TCR work only with one 10s wheelset but not with another 10s wheelset.

I have 2 bikes: a Giant TCR C1 & a Cannondale

Giant TCR C1:

Dura-Ace 10s Shifters

Ultegra 11s Crankset

Ultegra 10s Chain

Dura-Ace 7800 Rear Derailleur

Cannondale CAAD9 R5:

Shimano 105 10s Shifters

Shimano 105 10s Crankset

Shimano 105 Chain

Ultegra 10s Rear Derailleur

I have 2 wheelsets: an Ultegra wheelset for my Giant TCR and a Shimano wheelset for my Cannondale. I'll be referring to the latter wheelset as my Cannondale wheelset.

When I put the Cannondale wheelset on my Cannondale, the shifting works fine. Same for when I put in the Ultegra wheelset. I don't have to adjust the barrel adjuster to adjust the position of the chain.

When I put the Cannondale wheelset on my Giant TCR, the shifting works fine also, albeit a bit more slowly on the descent from the biggest cog down to the small cog. However, when I put the Ultegra wheelset in, the shifting doesn't work properly. I have to adjust the barrel adjuster to align the chain with the cassette, and even then the shifting isn't smooth. It goes up fine but doesn't come down smoothly. It gets stuck in the biggest cog until I shift twice; then, it jumps the second-biggest cog and lands on the third-biggest. I adjust the barrel adjuster so that it descends properly, but then it has problems with shifting upwards, getting stuck on the smallest cog until I shift twice and then it goes up to the second cog.

I had initially thought it was an issue with the shifters, 11s crankset, rear derailleur, or possibly the rear derailleur cable, on my Giant TCR. However, the shifting works fine when I have the 10s Cannondale wheelset on the Giant TCR, so those are not it.

The Ultegra wheelset had originally had on it an 11-speed cassette, which I've swapped out for a 10-speed cassette. I had also initially thought it was an issue with the cassette, but the shifting works fine on my Cannondale when I put on the Ultegra wheelset with the 10-speed cassette, so I don't think it's an issue with the cassette.

Does anybody have an idea on why this is happening?

Solution:

It turns out that the issues were with the rear derailleur cable and the rear derailleur. The cable was bent in two places and the derailleur was either incompatible with the brifters or not fully functional.

I've replaced the rear derailleur cable and swapped the Dura-Ace 7800 derailleur out for a Dura-Ace 7900 derailleur and the shifting has started working smoothly.
    Last edited by Alykin; 05-19-2020 at 03:16 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Did you install the spacer with the 10 cassette?
    You might have to adjust for shifting when changing wheels

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Are they the same size cassette on both?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Are they the same size cassette on both?
    Maybe the DA cassette has a larger big cog, and the B screw should be screwed in a little to clear it better. I also might think the derailleur could be cleaned and lubed, or the cable on that bike is dragging a little, and the comment about the 1mm spacer is worth a look as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Also might want to check the hanger alignment. That can make for some funky shifting.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Doesn't the DA rear derailleur use a different amount of cable pull than the rest of of the Shimano line?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Doesn't the DA rear derailleur use a different amount of cable pull than the rest of of the Shimano line?
    No

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    That was a loooooooooong time ago.
    #promechaniclife

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    That was a loooooooooong time ago.
    When did that end? With 8-sp? with 9-sp?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Banned forever.....or not
    8 Speed....9 and 10 speed derailleurs pull the same. (also the same as 8 speed Ultegra)
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020
    Hi, everybody

Thanks for the responses. It turns out that the issues were with the rear derailleur cable and the rear derailleur. The cable was bent in two places and the derailleur was either incompatible with the brifters or not fully functional.

I've replaced the rear derailleur cable and swapped the Dura-Ace 7800 derailleur out for a Dura-Ace 7900 derailleur and the shifting has started working smoothly.
    Last edited by Alykin; 05-19-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alykin View Post
    Hi, everybody

Thanks for the responses. It turns out that the issues were with the rear derailleur cable and the rear derailleur. The cable was bent in two places and the derailleur was either incompatible with the shifters or not fully functional.

I've replaced the rear derailleur cable and swapped the Dura-Ace 7800 derailleur out for a Dura-Ace 9100 derailleur and the shifting has started working smoothly.
    ftfy.
    So wait...you took off the 10 speed derailleur and put an 11 speed derailleur on and it now works? You know that means you had 11 speed shifters all along, not 10, right?
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Yea, I thought it was a 'wheel' problem. None of it makes any sense, but it's fixed now!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020
    I had meant I had replaced it with Dura-Ace 7900, not 9100. I had put 9100 by accident.

The bike has 10-speed shifters, 10-speed cassette, and 10-speed derailleur.
    Last edited by Alykin; 05-19-2020 at 03:23 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    OK, so please explain why a new RD now works with 2 different wheels that the original one did not work. ... or you don't know?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    OK, so please explain why a new RD now works with 2 different wheels that the original one did not work. ... or you don't know?
    I would say due to either malfunction in the derailleur or incompatibility with the shifters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    OK, so specifically how did one wheel work and the reason the other didn't?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Alykin View Post
    Hi, everybody

Thanks for the responses. It turns out that the issues were with the rear derailleur cable and the rear derailleur. The cable was bent in two places and the derailleur was either incompatible with the brifters or not fully functional.

So with those problems why did it work fine with one wheel?

I'm pretty sure the OP hasn't really figured this out and doesn't know enough to realize it.
    #promechaniclife