10 speed tiagra upgrade to 11 speed ultegra 6800
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014

Red face 10 speed tiagra upgrade to 11 speed ultegra 6800

Hello,
    I would like to upgrade 10speed tiagra cassette to 11 speed ultegra 6800. I feel like I am not fast enough(or it depends on how fast I pedal)I have carbon frame,shimano ultegra shiffters, I am not sure if its compatible for 11speed upgrade.
    If does. Is this worth of upgrade? What is the best size for fast semi flat area.What is recommended size for fast to flat area and good in high elevation climbs for about 3k -4k elevation? My guess is 11-23 for fast flat not sure if this will do good enough for climbs.
    Crank size I have is 50/34
    I have no idea what the hub size comes with it. Should I change my chain too and why?
    Will upgrade as soon as possible. Tnx
    johni

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    You cant just run the cassette, you will need the cassette, RD, chain and shifter in order to run the 11 speed cassette. At that point you will have half of the Ultegra 2x11 group set, might as well go for the whole group set.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    going 11-speed is not going to make you any faster. Do you feel you're not going fast enough on the 50t chainring & 11t cog?

Quote Originally Posted by johni22 View Post
    Hello,
    I would like to upgrade 10speed tiagra cassette to 11 speed ultegra 6800. I feel like I am not fast enough(or it depends on how fast I pedal)I have carbon frame,shimano ultegra shiffters, I am not sure if its compatible for 11speed upgrade.
    If does. Is this worth of upgrade? What is the best size for fast semi flat area.What is recommended size for fast to flat area and good in high elevation climbs for about 3k -4k elevation? My guess is 11-23 for fast flat not sure if this will do good enough for climbs.
    Crank size I have is 50/34
    I have no idea what the hub size comes with it. Should I change my chain too and why?
    Will upgrade as soon as possible. Tnx
    johni
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nobody's said it yet, so I will.......

I feel like I am not fast enough
    An 11-speed cassette won't make you any faster. Possibly you may be slightly better off with gearing that better matches your fitness level and the type of terrain you ride. So you could experiment with different 10-speed cassettes. This question comes up constantly, and there is no right answer, except -- it depends.

In addition to TJ's comments you may need a new rear wheel to make the change. Depends if the one you have is compatible.

If you are determined to make the change, what you need to buy is commonly known as an "upgrade group".
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 03-18-2014 at 08:34 AM.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Thank you for the response.
    I have 12x30 cassette 10 speed. tiagra
    Is it worthy change to 11x28 cassette?
    tnx