10 speed Ultegra crankset needed for 10 speed chain?
    Dream It, Do It

10 speed Ultegra crankset needed for 10 speed chain?

I've just installed a 10 speed Ultegra drivetrain with 10 speed chain. I've run into two problems:

1. The chain is falling off frequently on both the large and small chainrings when upshifting & downshifting.

2. The front derailleur seems difficult to adjust to minimize rubbing on the chain

Is a 10 speed chain ring necessary for better shifting? Is there anything else that can be done to improve shifting?

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre68
    I've just installed a 10 speed Ultegra drivetrain with 10 speed chain. I've run into two problems:

1. The chain is falling off frequently on both the large and small chainrings when upshifting & downshifting.

2. The front derailleur seems difficult to adjust to minimize rubbing on the chain

Is a 10 speed chain ring necessary for better shifting? Is there anything else that can be done to improve shifting?
    what is your current crankset? details like this just might help. if it's 9 spd, it should work fine. sounds like your limit screws are off, and if you had a standard or triple set up previously, the derailleur could be way too high. more details and photos if possible. you won't get the right answer w/o providing the proper info...
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Reasoning

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre68

When you say "falling off" you need to be more specific. Is it going over the top of the large chainring and overshooting the small chainring to the inside? If this is the case, then your problem is likely proper limit screw adjustment.

When you say rubbing on the chain, do you mean that it rubs in all cogs on the cassette, on both chainrings, or just the largest and smallest, or whatever. This may mean that you need to adjust the limit screws, that you need to tweak the cable tension, or that you need to adjust the angle of the derailleur cage relative to the chainrings.

Generally, a 10s chainring is not required, but there are a lot of different setups & combinations so it is hard to say. You will get a little closer chainring spacing and IIRC, narrower chainring teeth with a 10s crankset.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    Generally, a 10s chainring is not required, but there are a lot of different setups & combinations so it is hard to say. You will get a little closer chainring spacing and IIRC, narrower chainring teeth with a 10s crankset.
    For Shimano Ultegra and Dura Ace that I have measured, all the teeth are 2mm wide at the base. 9spd and 10spd chains are the same width inside, but the 10spd chain is slightly narrower on the outside.

I've used a 10spd cassette and chain with several 8/9 speed cranks with no problems. The major issue is making sure the FD is dead on correctly adjusted.

For Shimano that means the FD's outer cage plate is exactly parallel to the outer chainring and the gap above the chainring is exactly 2mm. Then shift to little chainring and biggest cog and set the inner limit screw to allow a half mm gap between the chain and the inner FD cage plate. Now shift to the big chainring and the smallest cog and adjust the outer limit screw to allow a half mm gap between the chain and the FD outer cage plate.

Campy is basically the same, but the INNER cage plate must be parallel to the chainrings rather than the outer. For SRAM, I think the setup is the same as Shimano.

Dream It, Do It

Have an 8 speed Ultegra crankset

Sorry for omitting the details on my crankset. It's an 8 speed Ultegra crankset

Dream It, Do It

More specifics on the problem

I'm having problems adjusting the upper and lower limit screws to allow shifting to the small and big chainrings without overshooting the chainrings. At the same time, what seems to be the correct adjustment causes the chain to rub on the front derailleur.

Adjustment seems quite a bit more finicky than with an 8 speed setup. I'm wondering if the closer chainring spacing of a 10 speed crankset versus my current 8 speed Ultegra crankset might help alleviate the problem.