105 vs. Ultegra Crankset.
    RoadBikeReview Member

105 vs. Ultegra Crankset.

Are there any/much difference in a 105 crankset and Ultegra crank arms? Found a 105 with worn out chainrings. Been using Ultegra for a long time. I figure put a good set of chaingrings on it and you could tell the difference.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    You couldn't tell the difference. The 105 is a few grams heavier that the Ultegra which is a few grams heavier than Dura Ace. If you get Dura Ace you're basically paying for jewelry. None of the 3 cranks are stiffer than the others. Any flex that occurs is your bottom bracket/frame flexing, not the crank.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile View Post
    You couldn't tell the difference. The 105 is a few grams heavier that the Ultegra which is a few grams heavier than Dura Ace. If you get Dura Ace you're basically paying for jewelry. None of the 3 cranks are stiffer than the others. Any flex that occurs is your bottom bracket/frame flexing, not the crank.
    exactly. The only difference is the (slight difference in) weight. Even though generally heavier stuff is also potentially more durable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks.

1386paul
    Quote Originally Posted by 55x11 View Post
    exactly. The only difference is the (slight difference in) weight. Even though generally heavier stuff is also potentially more durable.
    If you apply this theory then your family sedan would be safer than a formula 1 car we know that's not correct.
    Group sets vary in price because as you spend more you get better quality and engineered components made to last and perform to a higher standard depending on the situation required.
    Regards Paul

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 1386paul View Post
    If you apply this theory then your family sedan would be safer than a formula 1 car we know that's not correct.
    Group sets vary in price because as you spend more you get better quality and engineered components made to last and perform to a higher standard depending on the situation required.
    Regards Paul
    bullshit.

More durable doesn't mean safer. If you want to stay in the car analogy, a safer car is a car that absorb energy by having most of its structure bending in a safe way. It render the car unusable while a more durable car would kill it's occupants while still being able to run afterwards.

Militant commuter
    Quote Originally Posted by T0mi View Post
    bullshit.

More durable doesn't mean safer. If you want to stay in the car analogy, a safer car is a car that absorb energy by having most of its structure bending in a safe way. It render the car unusable while a more durable car would kill it's occupants while still being able to run afterwards.
    Amen -- and everyone knows there ain't NOTHING durable about a Formula 1 car.
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T0mi View Post
    bullshit.

+2... As someone that has a degree in Automotive Design and years of experience in the industry, I can attest to this. That's why newer cars crumple faster than older cars. Let's put it this way: The car's job is to sacrifice it's life to save yours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Which would crumple better in a crash 105, Ultegra or Dura Ace?

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    You can type bullshit on here?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by speed metal View Post
    Which would crumple better in a crash 105, Ultegra or Dura Ace?
    Easy. 105, its cheaper to replace! Or is that not what you meant?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jeez, You morons! Ultegra is faster. It MUST be; its more expensive. Go buy something.
    Just ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Being new here and nothing to contribute to this thread, I have to say you guys are a hilarious bunch and certainly make my work day more interesting.

I cannot wait to catch up to guys on the road and draft so close that I can just grab your jersey for a free ride then come here to read about it.

"Drafting extreme! Some a-hole was not only DRAFTING me without asking!! He grabbed my Jersey! I mean really!?!! Is that what we do now! I saw him trying to attach a ROPE to my seat post!!!!"

rbr.com commentators - "Did you turn around and ask what he was doing? You should have locked up your brakes. Suck it up dude, its the new breed of bikers. That damn X-generation of slackers are LITERALLY looking for a free ride. Next time clean the sinuses in the wind! "

Low rep power
    Quote Originally Posted by g0tr00t View Post
    I saw him trying to attach a ROPE to my seat post!!!!"
    Noob.

Everyonbe knows you're supposed to use bungie cords.
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln