11 speed Dura Ace front shifting
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

11 speed Dura Ace front shifting

All. I wanted to lob this out there. I recently realized after 3 or so years on my DA component group that I was routing the wire to the front shifter dr. wrong. It worked marginally but now.... Wow much more precise. BUT, I am noticing the front shifter pull to go from the small ring to big has much more of a friction feel and almost has a catch or camber feel to it. I know you can run the wire one of two ways. The option I have now is the only one that really worked. Should this concern me?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    If you indeed have the converter installed in the correct orientation then there isn't really anything more you can do. Some frames just have crappy cable routing for those derailleurs.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    This one is a bit tight in regards to cable routing. I did watch a video from Arts Cyclrey about the trim features of the new Shimano stuff. I did not necessarily take this trim feature into consideration. I have always believed that if you set the limit screws properly you should not really have to mess with he cable barrel adjusters, but sounds like that is no longer the case due to the trim features. Anyway, I am going to get back into it some on my end soon and double check it.

I had a buddy who wound up pulling the cable end piece into his shifter, so I am worried that this tension could pull the cable end into he shifter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    9000 or 9100? I couldn't get a 9000 to work well on my old bike, switched to 9100 and it was great. Put the 9000 on a friend's bike and it shifted great. Watch a few videos and fiddle with it. Cable tension is really finicky so use the tension screw with 9100.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmabus View Post
    this one is a bit tight in regards to cable routing. I did watch a video from arts cyclrey about the trim features of the new shimano stuff. I did not necessarily take this trim feature into consideration. I have always believed that if you set the limit screws properly you should not really have to mess with he cable barrel adjusters, but sounds like that is no longer the case due to the trim features. Anyway, i am going to get back into it some on my end soon and double check it.

I had a buddy who wound up pulling the cable end piece into his shifter, so i am worried that this tension could pull the cable end into he shifter.
    rtfm.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbikerider View Post
    9000 or 9100? I couldn't get a 9000 to work well on my old bike, switched to 9100 and it was great. Put the 9000 on a friend's bike and it shifted great. Watch a few videos and fiddle with it. Cable tension is really finicky so use the tension screw with 9100.
    yeah, the old style is a bit more work to set up well but it's certainly not rocket science. The new style is the cat's meow - recently installed a GRX FDR (after reading the dealer manual) and was shocked how easy it was to nail the set up.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    rtfm.
    Put another way: When all else fails, look in the trash for the instruction manual.