1990's TREK Multi Track shifters

Sep 2008

1990's TREK Multi Track shifters

Looking for a little help on this one.

I have a 1990's vintage TREK 720 Multi Track with regular handlebars that I would like to switch out to drop handlebars with STI shifters.

The current setup is:

SRAM Grip Shift SRT3001-32 shifters.
    Rear Derailleur is a Shimano Alivio with a 7 cog cassette. There is a triple on the front.
    The bike has cantilever brakes.

My questions is: Will the SORA, Tiagra or some lower end Shimano STI shifter work with the current two derailleurs or would I need to replace them too?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Money Pit

I've already done this. Any Shimano shifter should work, providing that it is 7 speed. I upgraded another bike and took all the parts and put them on a '96 Trek 720. Went from low end MTB parts to a 105/Ultegra/XTR blend with a whopping 27 speeds! Drop bars give it a completely different feel. I assume you are also going to change your stem?

Of course to change to 9 or ten speeds you also have to include a wheelset. Then there is money to buy this, money for that and it just won't stop. Did I mention the stem? Anyway, at the end of the day, I wish I'd just left well enough alone and still had my complete 720 the way it was. Don't upgrade - just ride.

Bike Dude
    Sep 2003
    Leave the set up the way it is, just a money pit. My girl (girl's frame of course) has this same vintage bike. This bike is set up for a more "upright" style of riding and drop bars and STI won't work well for this geometry. If you have the micro-drive front crank set (I'm assuming you do) the front derailleur will not work properly with the STI lever. My girl's bike came with all the same componants that you have and flat handle bars. I swapped out the bars for "down hill" style handle bars with "clip ons", big differance for her and better hand positioning. You can still buy a lot of replacement parts for this bike if you decide to keep it as is. I have a complete replacement set of parts for this bike that I purchased off the internet. I recently saw a brand new Schwinn Hybrid that had a 7 speed cluster out back with Grip Shift. As Bosax mentioned, you will have to buy another wheel set if you upgrade to 8/9/10 speed gearing. This is a pretty good bike overall, I would clean her up and ride her as is. If you must change the gearing on her what about going with a "Dove" style bar or Mary One Ones with bar end shifters? The left bar end shifter is not indexed so it would work with your current front derailleur.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Modified 720.

I set this 720 up for my wife some years ago. Replaced the grip-shifts with Shimano under-the-bar thumb shifters. Some Rivendell stuff, some stuff from the garage parts box, one of the first ever Blackburn racks, and a 1975 Brooks B-15. Saddle is at my height—I use the bike to run errands. Trouble-free and comfortable. Definitely a keeper.
    Last edited by wim; 09-09-2008 at 01:49 PM.

Sep 2008

keeping things as they are . . . . . .

Thanks to bosax, thommy, and wim for your replies.

The more I thought about this, and the expense, the more I decided to keep things the same. I have 5 other bikes in the stable that all have drops, STI, etc. etc.

After giving the 720 a overhaul, I took it out for a spin and actually liked the feel of the bike the way it is. Keeping it this way will give me a little "diversity" in my rides.

retiredbiker
    rb.gif

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Put a rack on it

So, just put a rack on it and go get some beer! Think of all the money you'll save not driving the car on beer runs.