1992 Waterford Paramount forks

Jun 2004

Question 1992 Waterford Paramount forks

I've got a 1992 Waterford Paramount OS....well, it's a Waterford, now, since they were sold a few months after I ordered the frame. At any rate, I need to verify some fork dimensions, as I am switching from the OEM forks to CF forks.

With my eyeball, I measured an axle-to-crown of 370 mm and an offset of 34 mm. I did this without dropping the forks out of the frame (I just moved to Tucson, from Ohio, and my tools haven't caught up with me yet.).

I took the bike to an LBS....Fair Wheel Bikes...and one of their mechanics dropped the forks out and measured an axle-to-crown of 365 mm and an offset of 33 mm.

Here's where the problem comes in: Schwinn does not have any bicycle records that precede their 1997 bankruptcy, and Richard Schwinn (of Waterford Bikes) doesn't seem to have the dimensions, either....or at least he hasn't contacted me for a week. I don't want to jack my steering geometry up a whole bunch, so I want to get a CF fork that is as nearly identical as possible. Reynolds forks are 372 mm axle-to-crown, and Easton forks are 364 mm axle-to-crown. As for offset, I'll vary that to compensate for different axle-to-crown dimensions.

With all of that as backround info, does any have any old Waterford/Schwinn Paramount OS info laying around? For the record, my bike is 59 cm center-to-center and has the stock dimensions.

Thanks.

Nov 2002
    I am not trying to make light of your question, but grab a metric ruler and look just how small a distance 6 mm is. Your bike's ride height could be more affected by a change in tires than this minute change in fork axle to crown distance. With one fork you are looking at a 6 mm change, the other 2 mm. Both are pretty insignificant, in my opinion.

Russ

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by russw19
    I am not trying to make light of your question, but grab a metric ruler and look just how small a distance 6 mm is. Your bike's ride height could be more affected by a change in tires than this minute change in fork axle to crown distance. With one fork you are looking at a 6 mm change, the other 2 mm. Both are pretty insignificant, in my opinion.

Russ
    Unfortunately, steering behavior is sensitive to certain geometry changes. Tech at Reynolds Composites recommended against installing a fork w/ an axle-to-crown difference greater than 4 or 5 mm. They said that a 2 mm difference would probably be ok and could probably be made up w/ an offset change.

And I am quite aware of how big 6 mm is. A number is completely worthless without some context. In the context of steering geometry changes, a few millimeters can be huge.