2006 Chorus alloy or 2006 Centaur alloy?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

2006 Chorus alloy or 2006 Centaur alloy?

greetings all

is 2006 Chorus *alloy* worth paying (a lot?) extra over 2006 Centaur alloy?

apart from less weight (~300 grams less?) in alloy Chorus and the "badge" factor what are the Chorus advantages over Centaur? Which one will last longer? Am I wasting money on Chorus? The aim is for hard fitness training and century distance riding, no racing. Need reliability and longevity over the ultimate low weight. Or should I go with Veloce perhaps?

thank you in advance

BS the DC
    Quote Originally Posted by acid_rider
    greetings all

apart from less weight (~300 grams less?) in alloy Chorus and the "badge" factor what are the Chorus advantages over Centaur? Which one will last longer? Am I wasting money on Chorus? The aim is for hard fitness training and century distance riding, no racing. Need reliability and longevity over the ultimate low weight. Or should I go with Veloce perhaps?

thank you in advance
    I've ridden Record, Chorus, Centaur, Veloce and Mirage. Record is crazy high-end expensive. A few items in the Chorus line-up are carbon. This along with a few other minor differences make it a little lighter and quite a bit more expensive than Centaur. I think Centaur is the best price point. It's a great value on a nice alloy set. Veloce functions just as well as the rest of them. The biggest difference I notice is the alloy isn't polished as nicely. Mirage is a noticeable step down and I encourage people to avoid it.

I think the function of the components is almost identical from Veloce on up. I think whatever minor durability improvement higher end components "might" have is offset by their price. Often, lower end, heavier components actually last longer.

Veloce will serve you nicely. For me, I'd pick Centaur for the classic alloy look and Chorus for the newer carbon look, depending on the bike and what I think will look the best.
    "The team wasn't just riders. It was the mechanics, masseurs, chefs, soigneurs, and doctors. But the most important man on the team may have been the chiropractor."

- Lance Armstrong, Every Second Counts

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acid_rider
    greetings all

thank you in advance
    i would pony up the extra cash for the chorus cranks...basically the same as the record cranks and not much more than the centaur. i think all the other bits of the groupo are about equal, minus the carbon stuff, which is just for bling anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomatic73
    i would pony up the extra cash for the chorus cranks...basically the same as the record cranks and not much more than the centaur. i think all the other bits of the groupo are about equal, minus the carbon stuff, which is just for bling anyway.
    Or maybe get the Chours cranks without needing to pony up the extra cash. I've managed to snag a couple new (alloy) Chorus cranks off eBay for around $75 each.