2008 Campy Record pricing question

Oct 2008

2008 Campy Record pricing question

Ok. I bought a Record QS 10 sp groupset about 5 months ago and literally only has approximately 700 miles on it. .
    Then come to find out that Campy came out with the 11sp. My least favorite spec on the groupset are the shifters. Coming from D.A. ( shifters are more comfortable to me ), the Campy shifters have been ok, but still prefer the D.A. cushy-ness. Although I havent tested the new Campy. the shifters look as comfortable, if not more than D.A. So, I am serious considering upgrading to the 11 sp Record mostly for the shifters. I have a buddy who is considering buying my slightly used group as his Record is about 10 years old. I have been searching endlessly for some comps on the groupset to see if it's even worth making the switch but cannot find anything out there ( ie ebay, internet). I need help finding a good asking price. maybe a high and a low. It is 2008 Record QS ( the QS is in red if that matters ) shifters, brakes, short cage RD, braze on FD. 11-25 cassette, chain, 172.5 crankset w/bb, cables. Any help would be appreciated

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    But it goes to 11.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

options...

If you won't benefit much from the one additional cog, you can get a nice shifter upgrade with 2009 Centaur carbon shifters, then selling the old shifters. If you've got the Record red shifters, you might get more from them than the new ones cost (only about $240). I sold my 2007 Record shifters, with a new cable set, for $175, and installed the new Centaur shifters a few weeks ago. They are more comfortable and work better than the previous design.

Right now, you can easily get an entire '08 Record group for about $1650. If you know where to shop, you can also get an '09 Record 11 speed group from Europe, for only about $100 more. I can't tell you what to ask for your used parts, but it should be less quite a bit less than a new group.

The new chain tool for the 11 speed chain is really a must have item. I got one for $150 from Ribble in the UK. Without this tool, there is no way to peen the right end of the new joining pin. If you don't peen the pin, it's far more likely to fail.

Another option is to do a partial upgrade of shifters, RD, cassette and chain only. I'll be making that sort of swap next week on one of my bikes. I don't expect problems with the crank or FD. I'll be posting a report after I've tested the setup.

Rub it............
    Pricing all new 08 record stuff, you are probably in the 2300 range (all new).

Since you have only 700 miles on them, I'd let them go for $1800-$1900

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

???

Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    Pricing all new 08 record stuff, you are probably in the 2300 range (all new).

Since you have only 700 miles on them, I'd let them go for $1800-$1900
    Here's a new Record groupo for $1700. A used one wouldn't go for near that much.

http://wisecyclebuys.com/index.asp?P...ROD&ProdID=335
    Last edited by C-40; 10-14-2008 at 06:49 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    Here's a new Record groupo for $1700. A used one wouldn't got for near that much.

http://wisecyclebuys.com/index.asp?P...ROD&ProdID=335
    Total Cycling has them at $1450 now with the Euro to Dollar narrowing. It's a good time to be ordering outside the US.

Rub it............
    Wow, they dropped a ton since the new 11 speed came out.