2009 SRAM Rival
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 SRAM Rival

Anti-Hero

2009 SRAM Rival

I got a chance to hang out at the SRAM tent for a while at Downers Grove this weekend. They had a bike set up with the new and improved 2009 Rival. All in all, it looks very promising. They've updated the look a bit w/a black finish and carbon fiber brake levers, and the shifting doesn't feel much different than my Red setup (a little more "travel" in the lever, but I wouldn't complain). I think that for the cost, this is going to be an awesome group.

Just thought I'd let everyone know
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    I got a chance to hang out at the SRAM tent for a while at Downers Grove this weekend. They had a bike set up with the new and improved 2009 Rival. All in all, it looks very promising. They've updated the look a bit w/a black finish and carbon fiber brake levers, and the shifting doesn't feel much different than my Red setup (a little more "travel" in the lever, but I wouldn't complain). I think that for the cost, this is going to be an awesome group.

Just thought I'd let everyone know
    Do you know when the 09 Rival will be available for us to purchase?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Andrea - I've heard things about past issues with SRAM and front dérailleur trim. I know you're sponsored by them, but IYO, does this seem to be something that is a problem in '09?

I'm saving up for my college graduation present to myself in May, and Rival still seems to be the way to go, but knowing this could make this decision concrete.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Did you get a chance to see any of the hardware up close?

One thing I hate about SRAM is some of their road components have threads cut right into soft aluminum. (e.x. front deraiuller)

That's fine for Red but if Rival is the workhorse group I would prefer to see steel inserts or bolts pressed in so that the group holds up better to maintenance over many thousands of miles. See 105 or most Ultegra for an example. You shouldn't need a torque wrench and ultra careful work to clamp a cable down without stripping threads or having cable slip.

In need of sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by lalahsghost
    Andrea - I've heard things about past issues with SRAM and front dérailleur trim. I know you're sponsored by them, but IYO, does this seem to be something that is a problem in '09?

I'm saving up for my college graduation present to myself in May, and Rival still seems to be the way to go, but knowing this could make this decision concrete.
    I did a detailed review of the 2008 SRAM Rival group here on RBR - it might be a useful read for you. Once the 09 RIVAL group is available I look forward to doing a comparison review.

http://reviews.roadbikereview.com/bl...et-pro-review/

Anti-Hero
    There have already been some limited releases of the 09 group, but, similarly to when the Red group dropped- they may be scarce for a little while.

As for the trim- the Rival's FD trim will now function on the large ring- allowing less chain rub if you're using your lower gears. I am not aware of any issues that it had before now. However, from personal experience (riding Red), it definitely took some fine-tuning to get the trim just right (main issue I initially had was that the chain would randomly try to jump to the small ring while it was trimmed), but it functions without issue now (and I'm the queen of avoiding the big to small ring shifts during races if I can help it, so I love the trim).

Ben- I know what you're saying about softer bolts- I managed to partially strip two of my brake shoe adjusting bolts. Prettymuch my fault for being in a hurry and not paying attention, but I haven't had any problems since I replaced them with bolts out of some Force brakes. I'm guessing that since one of the goals of the Rival group isn't to be sub-2000g, the bolts will be made of a harder material.
    Brickhouse Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ssing20
    Do you know when the 09 Rival will be available for us to purchase?
    I have it now. The cranks don't come out until Sept. But I have the rest. PM me if you want a set.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Does it have the lever reach adjustment we are currently seeing on Red?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum
    I'm interested in that as well.

Anti-Hero
    Yep. Brake and shift levers.
    Brickhouse Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Yes. It does. I only have 4 more groups left all with NO CRANK, but come with everything else. So if you want them let me know ASAP. Thanks to all the guys who PM'd me and bought. Enjoy the new components.

Moderatus Puisne
    Front derailer trim is a non-issue on almost all properly set-up bikes. The SRAM front cage is pretty wide...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Interested in the 2009 group (minus the cranks) group? Thanks and let me know ASAP
    [email protected]

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    My post was supposed to read--"I'm interested in the 2009 SRAM Rival group. Please let me know what is available". This was directed at Master2129. Sorry for the confusion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    I saw the 09 rival this last april at sea otter at the sram distributors meeting, it basically is like red, just different materials. For the money it really is on par with at Ultegra. And for my own opinion I can't see much point in force any more. That being said, for the people focused on trim...DA 7900 will not have any front derailleur trim. And finally, if you're in the northeast just about any of the shops can get the new shifters, brakes, and derailleurs from us as it is all in stock.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Andrea - Tell your SRAM sponsors when you see them that you helped make/complete a sale with your advice and knowleddge. I gnabbed the whole '09 groupset for $800, and anticipating the purchase of a frame to put it on! (good deal?)

Just got most of my SRAM Rival set, and here's the weight listings with my calibrated triple beam balance scale:

SRAM Rival 2009 "2008 - wk29" Brake Set - 288g
    PC 1090 Chain (without Powerlink) - 265g
    SRAM Rival 2009 "2008 - wk29" Rear Dérailleur - 188.5g
    SRAM Rival 2009 "2008 - wk29" Front Dérailleur (Braze On) - 88g
    SRAM Rival 2009 "2008 - wk29" Shifters (With shifter wires) - 355g
    OG 1070 12-26 Cassette w/ Lock Ring - 249g
    SRAM Rival 39/53 Crankset - 805g
    Team GXP BB - 90-something grams.... forgot....
    Last edited by lalahsghost; 09-24-2008 at 07:28 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I've read somewhere (can't remember off the top of my head) that all together 2009 Rival groupo will weigh just a hair over 2000 grams. like 21xx or something like that.

if that's correct, this would certainly be as lightweight as Dura-Ace or Ultegra SL wouldn't it?

Anti-Hero
    Congrats on the purchase- Post pics when you get it all together!
    Brickhouse Blog

Jul 2008
    To be honest, $800 for Rival is not that great of deal. I can get Red for just a little more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by jderreks
    I saw the 09 rival this last april at sea otter at the sram distributors meeting, it basically is like red, just different materials. For the money it really is on par with at Ultegra. And for my own opinion I can't see much point in force any more. That being said, for the people focused on trim...DA 7900 will not have any front derailleur trim. And finally, if you're in the northeast just about any of the shops can get the new shifters, brakes, and derailleurs from us as it is all in stock.
    "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." -- Tacitus

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Campag12
    To be honest, $800 for Rival is not that great of deal. I can get Red for just a little more than that.
    Is that at employee/shop pricing, or flat out under msrp deals? Can I call you next time I need to buy bike stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by IowaAJ
    I've read somewhere (can't remember off the top of my head) that all together 2009 Rival groupo will weigh just a hair over 2000 grams. like 21xx or something like that.

if that's correct, this would certainly be as lightweight as Dura-Ace or Ultegra SL wouldn't it?
    My personal weight calculation = 2293g for all of it.... Remember, that's all eight pieces.
    Chain, Cassette, RD, FD, Crankset, BB, Brifters, Brakes.

Listed weight for all of those on their site = 2222g.
    I added all of the spec'd weights for Ultegra SL from shimano's site, and used weight weenies' weight for the 2008 Ultegra RD-6600-SS just because I have found no spec'd weight for the SL rear derailleur, and it came out to 2347g
    Last edited by lalahsghost; 09-24-2008 at 07:39 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Delete, please.

Jun 2008
    Quick note on the Rival cranks. I will be a RED rider, but I have a 90cm inseam (tall) and use a 180mm crankset. I was on DA 7800 and could not find an acceptable solution when I was able to secure early production of the '09 SRAM Rival OCT compact cranks. I had been using '08 Rival (non-OCT) with Shimano FC700 rings. I put RED rings on the '09 Rival OCTs and dropped 80 grams off the '08 version. They are about the same weight as '09 Campy Super Record, but stiffer and roughly 1/5th the price. These are the most solid cranks I have ever ridden. I am over 200 pounds so cranksets are a concern for me. I would recommend the '09 Rival OCT in either Compact or Standard and paired with SRAM RED chainrings as the best Racing/Training crankset available, especially for the money. I do recommend getting the "Blackbox" ceramic bottom bracket, instead of the free one you get with the packaging. Pair it with Rival, Force or RED depending on the rest of your budget, or just use it as an upgrade to your Shimano groupset, or put Campy rings on the cranks and upgrade your '09 Super Record. This crankset ROCKS!

tthome
    May 2008
    I'm looking for the 2009 8 piece Rival Group..(cassette, front/rear deralier, shifters, brakes, bottom bracket and crankset). I see that auction sites have it for about $670 + ship. I've lurked around RBR for many years but never have purchased anything from anyone. Is there someoen who could help me find a better price?

Thanks!

Blah, Blah, Blah
    Right now Excel Sports has the whole grouppo for $699. The picture shows 2008 stuff, but I don't know if that price will also buy you the 2009 stuff.
    Total Cycling currently has a good price on the stuff and so do a few of the other UK sites.
    On & Off Rhodes.com
    Bike, Hike, Run.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tthome
    I'm looking for the 2009 8 piece Rival Group..(cassette, front/rear deralier, shifters, brakes, bottom bracket and crankset). I see that auction sites have it for about $670 + ship. I've lurked around RBR for many years but never have purchased anything from anyone. Is there someoen who could help me find a better price?

Thanks!
    Just bought my 09 Rival group set off Ebay today for $649 (8 piece group)...shifters/calipers/crankset/BB, F&R derailluer, cassette and chain. I did see some "sets" a little cheaper but it was not the full group. It did not have cassette & chain, etc. $25 shipping so I think I did just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast