2018 Supersix Evo HM - Need thinner headset spacer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    219

    2018 Supersix Evo HM - Need thinner headset spacer

    The spacer immediately above my frame, under my stem is a reducing spacer. Forgive me if i dont know the top and the bottom sizes. But can someone point me in the direction of a thinner one? I need to get my stem/handlebar lower for a better fit.

    My current one is larger on the bottom and tapers slimmer on top and is about 20cm or so. I need to get that down as low as possible.
    cannondale-supersix-evo-hi-mod-disc-dura-ace-309321-1.jpg
    Last edited by sramred; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:55 PM.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    956
    Looks like a 5mm spacer above the stem and a 10mm spacer below the stem. I think the conical item you refer to is the top cap of the headset.

    Check what Canondale requires foe minimum spacers above and below the stem.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,022
    Looks like you'll be in the market for a 17deg stem, asap!
    BANNED

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    Looks like a 5mm spacer above the stem and a 10mm spacer below the stem. I think the conical item you refer to is the top cap of the headset.

    Check what Canondale requires foe minimum spacers above and below the stem.
    Reducing Spacer.JPG
    you'll see that its larger on the bottom than the top (the bottom spacer) Looking for the right sizes so i can search online for what to buy
    Last edited by sramred; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:21 PM.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: nova_rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    313
    Your latest pic is not viewable. There should be two separate pieces below the stem, a spacer and a top cap. To drop the stem, you can either swap the top and bottom spacer, or put both spacers on top to slam the stem.

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    Your latest pic is not viewable. There should be two separate pieces below the stem, a spacer and a top cap. To drop the stem, you can either swap the top and bottom spacer, or put both spacers on top to slam the stem.

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    i believe that conical piece under the stem is 1 piece. Thats what i'm looking to shorten down.

    Will this piece work: https://cannondaleexperts.com/collec...31956477640841

  7. #7
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16,485
    You're looking for the headset top cap. There are 3 Cannondale sizes. If you google "cannondale top cap ??mm" you should find it at numerous sources.

    https://cannondaleexperts.com/collec...5mm-30mm-black


    Yes
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,434
    No idea how good this is or if it's accomplish what you want to but FYI: https://slamthatstem.com/

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    You're looking for the headset top cap. There are 3 Cannondale sizes. If you google "cannondale top cap ??mm" you should find it at numerous sources.

    https://cannondaleexperts.com/collec...5mm-30mm-black


    Yes
    Great, if i just needed to drop my stem lower, any other pieces i'd need to buy? Or simply this and replace that reducing "topcap" spacer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    No idea how good this is or if it's accomplish what you want to but FYI: https://slamthatstem.com/
    Yea, i need to get my hands to a lower position, without changing my saddle height.

  10. #10
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16,485
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    Great, if i just needed to drop my stem lower, any other pieces i'd need to buy? Or simply this and replace that reducing "topcap" spacer?
    Just swap your topcap with a shorter one.

    Plus you'll have to cut down your steerer tube. Or add spacers on top of your stem.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    You're looking for the headset top cap. There are 3 Cannondale sizes. If you google "cannondale top cap ??mm" you should find it at numerous sources.

    https://cannondaleexperts.com/collec...5mm-30mm-black


    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    No idea how good this is or if it's accomplish what you want to but FYI: https://slamthatstem.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Just swap your topcap with a shorter one.

    Plus you'll have to cut down your steerer tube. Or add spacers on top of your stem.
    So i just pulled that large skyscraper topcap off and there was this flatter one underneath it. Looked identical to this, although i didn't do any measuring, it was simply hidden inside of the larger one. https://cannondaleexperts.com/produc...31956477640841

    Assuming i cut the steerer tube or put spacer on top temporarily, can i ride with the bike like this? Order goes... Frame, flat reducing spacer i found inside the large spacer, stem, top cap.



    Also, these 2 clear plastic thingies... do they belong on the bike somewhere? they fell out when i was removing the stem/headset top plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sramred; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:48 AM.

  12. #12
    'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,033
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    So i just pulled that large skyscraper topcap off and there was this flatter one underneath it. Looked identical to this, although i didn't do any measuring, it was simply hidden inside of the larger one. https://cannondaleexperts.com/produc...31956477640841

    Assuming i cut the steerer tube or put spacer on top temporarily, can i ride with the bike like this? Order goes... Frame, flat reducing spacer i found inside the large spacer, stem, top cap.
    Attachment 328037


    Also, these 2 clear plastic thingies... do they belong on the bike somewhere? they fell out when i was removing the stem/headset top plate.Attachment 328035

    PS Sorry about the sideways pic, please mentally rotate 90 Clockwise
    You need to learn how to attach your own photos to your posts, those don't work. Given the nature of your questions I wouldn't work on your bike yourself...take it to a shop and have them help. I'm not trying to be a dick but it sounds like you're asking for trouble if you do this (cutting steerer tube) yourself.
    #promechaniclife

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    You're looking for the headset top cap. There are 3 Cannondale sizes. If you google "cannondale top cap ??mm" you should find it at numerous sources.

    https://cannondaleexperts.com/collec...5mm-30mm-black


    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    No idea how good this is or if it's accomplish what you want to but FYI: https://slamthatstem.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You need to learn how to attach your own photos to your posts, those don't work. Given the nature of your questions I wouldn't work on your bike yourself...take it to a shop and have them help. I'm not trying to be a dick but it sounds like you're asking for trouble if you do this (cutting steerer tube) yourself.
    i know how to install a topcaps, spacers, and a stem. I'm not going to the the steerer at the moment, just have questions about this new-found, perfect height headset topcap i found under the skyscraper spacer that came on the bike. i've editted the images.

  14. #14
    'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,033
    I think the cover you found under the other cover should work fine. Is there an o-ring in it? I'm betting there is and it will do the job by itself. Those plastic spacers look oddly like BB30 spacers. I'm not super familiar w/ Cannondale as there is only 1 dealer in our county and we don't work on them very often. That said headsets are never that proprietary and they all work the same. If they are supposed to be part of the headset their job is most likely to move the top cover away from the frame a tiny bit. Most Cane Creek headsets come w/ very thin metal ones and you can stack them up if the top cover rubs on the frame. They go on top of the split compression ring that puts preload on the upper bearing and thus under the thin top cover you're going to use. If you end up w/ more than a cm or so of spacers on top of the stem you should have the steerer cut sooner rather than later.
    #promechaniclife

  15. #15
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,975
    You can definitely use that to cap that was hidden by the "skyscraper spacer" by itself.

    They even used to come with Cannondale or SuperSix graphics on them so if you switched to just using it there would be just as much logo bling on the bike still.
    Last edited by jetdog9; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:58 PM.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,108
    Not sure plastic bb30 spacers will do the same job the thin metal shims do. They will compress and distort.

    Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    You can definitely use that to cap that was hidden by the "skyscraper spacer" by itself.

    They even used to come with Cannondale or SuperSix graphics on them so if you switched to just using it there would be just as much logo bling on the bike still.
    Great, thanks. will just get the steerer tube cut. Do you know where those 2x plastic discs / spacers go?

  18. #18
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,975
    cxwrench's guess is going to be better than anybody else, he's a pro mechanic. But sometimes there are thin plastic washers you are supposed to put right above the top cap so the stem or first spacer doesn't rub into it wrong. Seems weird that there are two, though.

    As others have said, consider spacers temporarily while you dial in your position before permanently cutting the tube. Whatever so you take it to can advise you on that. Might be good to have a combination of 5 and 10 mm spacers to play with besides just slamming stem all the way down.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,434
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    just have questions about this new-found, perfect height headset topcap i found under the skyscraper spacer that came on the bike. i've editted the images.
    That does appear to be a legit. shorter top cap.

    Weird. Maybe that's Cannondale's way of including two options with (which I doubt but maybe). I wouldn't put it past a prior owner, bike shop or factory to have just put on two 2 by mistake.

    For what it's worth; my Caad 9 which is just a trainer bike to me has a super tall top cap. Which always struck me as odd for an aggressive race bike.
    After reading this I took it apart to see if there was a shorter top cap under there. Nope, just the tall one. So I guess we know including two isn't something Cdale has been doing for years.
    Or maybe it's their new way of making things extra dust proof now.

    Basically I have no idea. I guess if it works it works. If you have a C-Dale dealer around I'd probably swing in there and ask about it. Maybe google some pics of your model too. You can't be the only one that the tall cap it too tall for.

  20. #20
    Huge in Japan
    Reputation: craiger_ny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    Great, thanks. will just get the steerer tube cut. Do you know where those 2x plastic discs / spacers go?
    They go where CX said that they go, see his post above.

    There is such a thing in the headset world as microspacers that go between the top cap and the rest of the headset and are in increments of 250 microns (.01 inches), see here. When they are needed is when, without them, the top cap comes into contact with the head tube preventing proper tensioning of the headset. Sometimes they are needed and sometimes they are not and it is my belief that they exist to make up for manufacturing variation/ tolerance stack-ups. Having said that this looks like someone else's solution as I consider the use of plastic ones suspicious. If you assemble the headset without them and it feels like it is binding yet still loose (clunking), if that makes sense, then you need them there but I'd suggest proper ones that are metal. I could be wrong and maybe plastic is acceptable but seems not ideal to me.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,022
    I think he should take it to a shop. He asks questions, then sayes he knows everything, then he asks more questions.
    The picture he posted looks like he doesn't have any spacers on top of the stem and then the top cap on it. WEIRD! .. and now he's going to cut the stem, ahhhh!
    Take it to a shop!
    BANNED

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I think he should take it to a shop. He asks questions, then sayes he knows everything, then he asks more questions.
    The picture he posted looks like he doesn't have any spacers on top of the stem and then the top cap on it. WEIRD! .. and now he's going to cut the stem, ahhhh!
    Take it to a shop!
    nobody is riding the bike without spacers to properly preload headset with just the topcap on buddy. i'm aiming to cut that top part of the carbon streerer tube off if i can confirm i can use the setup as pictured with the slimmer spacer

    my specific questions are:
    -Where exactly do those 2 plastic spacers go? They fell from somewhere as i was taking the tall skyscraper spacer off the bike.
    -I found that included, thin ~5mm, spacer under the skyscraper spacer (i learned this from reading another forum thread) that cannondale hid one under there. I'm wondering if this is for something else, or if its for someone like me who wanted to take out the tall spacer and drop the stem down and use only the shorter one. The one in my pic under the upside down "5-6NM" looks similar to this: https://cannondaleexperts.com/collec...31956477640841

    and in that link's description it says"
    This top plate comes with the SuperSix Evo headset and sits on top of the upper bearing. It goes underneath the conical spacer unless you are taking that off and are slamming that stem. Compatible with SuperSix Evo, CAAD10, CAAD12 and Synapse Carbons models after 2014. New pieces will not have the SuperSix logo printed in the future.

    This piece is 46mm in diameter.
    Last edited by sramred; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:43 PM.

  23. #23
    'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,033
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    nobody is riding the bike without spacers to properly preload headset with just the topcap on buddy. i'm aiming to cut that top part of the carbon streerer tube off if i can confirm i can use the setup as pictured with the slimmer spacer

    my specific questions are:
    -Where exactly do those 2 plastic spacers go? They fell from somewhere as i was taking the tall skyscraper spacer off the bike.
    -I found that included, thin ~5mm, spacer under the skyscraper spacer (i learned this from reading another forum thread) that cannondale hid one under there. I'm wondering if this is for something else, or if its for someone like me who wanted to take out the tall spacer and drop the stem down and use only the shorter one. The one in my pic under the upside down "5-6NM" looks similar to this: https://cannondaleexperts.com/collec...31956477640841

    and in that link's description it says"
    Did you really read ALL of my second post? Myself and at least 1-2 others have told you where they go. That said they do look more like BB30 spacers than proper headset shims. Did someone work on this bike other than the dealer that built it?
    #promechaniclife

  24. #24
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,975
    BTW OP, don't take some of the ribbing you're getting in this thread too hard. At the end of the day, this is a part of the bike that can cause bad crashes if not set up properly and nobody here wants to see that.

    It's great to learn to do as much of your own mechanic work as possible, but that takes time. You can learn plenty from this forum and YouTube videos, but if you take the bike to a shop with a competent mechanic staff that is willing to explain things to you, you will learn even more.

  25. #25
    'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,033
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    cxwrench's guess is going to be better than anybody else, he's a pro mechanic. But sometimes there are thin plastic washers you are supposed to put right above the top cap so the stem or first spacer doesn't rub into it wrong. Seems weird that there are two, though.

    As others have said, consider spacers temporarily while you dial in your position before permanently cutting the tube. Whatever so you take it to can advise you on that. Might be good to have a combination of 5 and 10 mm spacers to play with besides just slamming stem all the way down.
    Chris King has always used a thin plastic spacer/washer for this (noise reduction), but the OP's look bigger, almost too big.
    #promechaniclife

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Supersix Hi Mod 2018 vs 2018 S-Works
    By sramred in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-05-2019, 06:11 PM
  2. 2016 supersix evo 105 vs 2017 evo 105
    By sheepherder in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-30-2017, 07:02 AM
  3. Upgrade from Cannondale SuperSix non-EVO to C-dale SuperSix EVO
    By multirider in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03-16-2015, 11:36 AM
  4. Colnago Cx-1 Evo vs Cannondale Supersix Evo Red
    By mcgusto in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-26-2013, 09:36 AM
  5. 2013 Evo Red std or 2012 Evo hm
    By warx in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-14-2012, 12:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.