25c Tires: Conti Gp5000 vs Vittoria Corsa G+
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

25mm Tires: Conti Gp5000 vs Vittoria Corsa G+

GP5000: 330TPI, 220g
    Corsa: 320TPI, 255g

Lots of people are saying the Corsa is a much more grippy and super supple ride w/ the high TPI. What do you guys think is the better 25mm tire package? (tire speed, ride quality, puncture resistance, lightweight)
    Last edited by sramred; 07-15-2019 at 06:35 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Michlin
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    How wide is a 25c tire?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    How wide is a 25c tire?
    haa. i copied and pasted the 700 x 25C from conti's website while searching their specs.

any info to add tho?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    25mm not 'C'. The 'C' goes with 700, not 25. I don't care how many tire manufacturers don't have a damn clue, they're wrong. The tire isn't 25 c's wide, it's 25mm wide.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    bro, i copied and pasted from here: https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...rand-prix-5000

i know that 21/23/25/28/32 are mm. 3 of 3 replies here have contributed nothing to the original post.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Not your bro, dude. Ever heard the term 'light, fast, cheap' or 'light, fast, durable'? Pick 2 and you're good. Speed and ride quality tough. Good ride comes from a casing that is probably not durable but in Vittoria's tire the tread compound is soft and feels nice. Good traction too. If you start building a bunch of puncture resistance into a tire the ride quality and 'speed' will generally suffer. I rarely flat so I can ride the Corsa no problem, I love them. Not currently using them (I'm on 44mm Compass/Rene Herse) but they are very nice. The new 5000 seems like a really nice tire but I have approx 0 miles on them.

ETA: Obviously you should have originally posted this in 'Wheels/Tires'...
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Russian Troll Farmer
    To make a broad generality, Conti's are well made, practical, and generally wear well. Vittoria tires impress you as being the best tire you've ever had......until the day they fall to pieces, usually in half the time of a Conti...

I've got a set of Vittorias on one of my bikes right now. After riding it last weekend for a long ride, I thought to myself, "Wow, these are nice tires! I hope they last till August..."

So, the question is, are you sensible or emotional?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post

GP5000: 330TPI, 220g
    Corsa: 320TPI, 255g

Lots of people are saying the Corsa is a much more grippy and super supple ride w/ the high TPI. What do you guys think is the better 25mm tire package? (tire speed, ride quality, puncture resistance, lightweight)
    Let's not get too carried away with thread count. Keep in mind that when a tire manufacturer boasts a thread count, it is the TOTAL thread count, not the thread count per layer. Most tires with a total thread count over 300 have three layers, so would be a little over 100TPI per layer which will still give you a nice ride.

The other issue is that even on tires with higher thread counts per layer, it's really a law of diminishing returns. In other words, you will notice a drastic improvement in ride quality going from 30TPI to 60TPI, a lesser improvement going from 60TPI to 120TPI, and virtually no noticeable difference going from 120TPI to 240TPI.

As CXWrench implied, you are not going to get every quality you want in a tire. The most supple and fast the tire, the more puncture prone and less durable it will be. Lighter means less material which translates to shorter life and less puncture resistance - no way around that.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I and a lot of other people prefer the Corsas. The other 50% or so that have tried both prefer the Contis.

Tires wear out. Look for good sales and get them both is really the only way to know for sure what you'll think and neither is so bad or good as compared to the other that you won't want to use them so you will have lost nothing in the long term.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Everyone is different. Riding style, weight, speed, preferred/ideal pressure, and, mostly, what do you value in a tire compared to someone else...etc.

Do the sensible thing and try both.

They choose the Continental

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    25mm not 'C'. The 'C' goes with 700, not 25. I don't care how many tire manufacturers don't have a damn clue, they're wrong. The tire isn't 25 c's wide, it's 25mm wide.
    I thought it referred to how tall, not how wide.

At any rate, I'd put a plug in for the Vittoria Corsas. I'm not the kind of person who will tell you I feel the difference between butyl versus latex tubes, carbon versus aluminum seat posts, or 172.5 versus 175.0 cranks. In the past I've primarily used Michelin Pro 4 or Conti 4000s tires. I tried the Vittorias a few years ago and was really bowled over by how nice they ride. Some folks say that they wear out really quickly, but that hasn't been my experience, although I think the Michelins do last a bit longer. Excel Sports often has good deals on them. I refuse to pay more than $40 for a bike tire.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I thought it referred to how tall, not how wide.

They used to. The ERTRO number was more-or-less both back when tire profiles were nearly all toroidal. However, with thicker compounds and such, the cross-section is no longer always circular. You can still use that number, double it, and add it to the rim diameter to get a fairly accurate overall diameter.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    IME the Corsas have awesome ride and grip and flat about 2-3x more often than Conti's. I've got between 1000-2000 miles on the 5000s now and can say the ride and grip are slightly better (especially wet traction), but the tread life is reduced by at least 25%. I'll keep riding them though - some have said the 5000 is less puncture resistant than the 4000, but (jinxing myself), I haven't noticed it.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

I love to climb!
    I've now used both. The Vittoria were really light and fast. But very thin, punctured easily. Also, hole did not seal easily. And the texture was different, so neither a plug nor a patch on the inside stuck. I'm now running the 5000s. Slightly heavier, but rolling seems about the same. More normal tire, so if I do get a puncture, I expect a plug or a patch to actually hold. Don't know how long these will last in comparison, but the Vittorias wore quite quickly.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    IME the Corsas have awesome ride and grip and flat about 2-3x more often than Conti's. I've got between 1000-2000 miles on the 5000s now and can say the ride and grip are slightly better (especially wet traction), but the tread life is reduced by at least 25%. I'll keep riding them though - some have said the 5000 is less puncture resistant than the 4000, but (jinxing myself), I haven't noticed it.
    Just got my 5000's on, super excited to try them out to see how they feel over my 25C Corsa G+ 1.0 The corsa's were super soft, like riding on a box of tissues. I ran them at 85F, 90R

Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    I've now used both. The Vittoria were really light and fast. But very thin, punctured easily. Also, hole did not seal easily. And the texture was different, so neither a plug nor a patch on the inside stuck. I'm now running the 5000s. Slightly heavier, but rolling seems about the same. More normal tire, so if I do get a puncture, I expect a plug or a patch to actually hold. Don't know how long these will last in comparison, but the Vittorias wore quite quickly.

don't you mean the Gp5000 is lighter?

Corsa actual weight: 260.6g, 262.9g
    Gp5000 actual weight: 207.3g, 227.1g

I love to climb!
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    don't you mean the Gp5000 is lighter?

Corsa actual weight: 260.6g, 262.9g
    Gp5000 actual weight: 207.3g, 227.1g
    The claimed weight I saw for the GP5000 is 300 grams (tubeless).

I didn't actually weigh any of the tires, just going by what I saw as the listed weight.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I used tubeless versions of each tire.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    The claimed weight I saw for the GP5000 is 300 grams (tubeless).

I didn't actually weigh any of the tires, just going by what I saw as the listed weight.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I used tubeless versions of each tire.
    oh i was talking about the regular clincher version. but i see you're right, the TL version of the GP5000 is around 300g. Thats actually heavier than the clincher version + supersonic tube...