34/52 front chainrings?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

34/52 front chainrings?

I have a 2017 Giant TCR with DuraAce Di2. Have a 36/52 in front with an 11/30 in back. I would like to switch the 36 in front for a 34. I have heard that combo will work with the Di2. Has anyone tried it or something else with an 18 tooth spread instead of the 16 tooth spread? How has it worked? What adjustments need to be done?

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Just check Shimano's Specs on the derailleur range. If they say it's within that range try it. Not a big investment, and you can get most of your money back selling the ring if it doesn't work. How about just go to a 34/50 with a 11-32 in back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I run compact and an 11/36 with an 8050 GS and it works fine, 2 teeth over the spec. Gear control keeps the slack chain from being an issue by preventing small / small combo. I've also run 11/34 with a compact on 6870 GS rear which is 2 teeth over the spec without a problem. Just need to make sure the chain length is cut to work well.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I run compact and an 11/36 with an 8050 GS and it works fine, 2 teeth over the spec. Gear control keeps the slack chain from being an issue by preventing small / small combo. I've also run 11/34 with a compact on 6870 GS rear which is 2 teeth over the spec without a problem. Just need to make sure the chain length is cut to work well.
    He's talking about the front derailleur...
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Right, I was talking about the small front chainring. My rear cassette is an 11/30 which is the largest Shimano says I can have for the D/A derailleur, although I have heard that I could put an 11/32 on it with not problem. I like the 52 tooth big ring and I want an 11 tooth in the rear as well. Just want easier gears going up super steep hills.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    No experience myself but I've definitely read of people doing it no problem and don't recall anyone reporting problems when I was looking into the same thing.

Matnlely Dregaend
    From experience a large difference in front chain rings makes for very odd up and down shifts. You're going to have to shift the rear pretty drastically if you want to keep a doable cadence.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    From experience a large difference in front chain rings makes for very odd up and down shifts. You're going to have to shift the rear pretty drastically if you want to keep a doable cadence.
    Nice thing about Di2 is programming the rear to shift up or down automatically when shifting in the front.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    Key point. Whether it "will work" is not what the OP should be focusing on, but rather whether it works well as a gear pattern. That big front drop implies a riding style that some (like me) would find uncomfortable. I find that the 16 tooth drop of a 34/50 is about on the limit, but YMMV.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Key point. Whether it "will work" is not what the OP should be focusing on, but rather whether it works well as a gear pattern. That big front drop implies a riding style that some (like me) would find uncomfortable. I find that the 16 tooth drop of a 34/50 is about on the limit, but YMMV.
    What do you mean, "a riding style some would find uncomfortable?"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JDCowboy View Post
    Probably a situation where when you change front rings, you have to shift the back 4 or 5 cogs instead of 3.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Remember I have Di2. I have it programmed to automatically shift the rear cassette down (smaller cog) one gear when I go from the big to small chain ring and up two gears (bigger cog) when I go from the small to the big chain ring. No sweat to change that programming.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by JDCowboy View Post
    You're climbing a hill with significant pressure on the cranks. You're going down to lower gears and finally need to shift the front. The wider the gap in the front rings, the more your cadence will jump when you shift a bigger difference in the front. Having your shifting system automatically determine how many cogs to shift in the back does not seem reasonable in that situation. And that is where most of my "challenging" front shifts happen. If it's just starting out from a stop and you shift to the big chain ring, not much of an issue.