3x to 2x with same crankset
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014

3x to 2x with same crankset

Hello, first time posting here. I'm normally a mountain biker but an injury is making me ride my road bike for a while. I bought a cheap Specialized Secteur years back that has treated me well as my "road bike" (1500 miles on it so far), and recently the hoods started falling apart so I figured its time to replace. Hoods for Shimano Triple aren't readily available, so I found a cheap used Claris 2x groupset (minus crankset) and wondering if I can convert my triple crankset to double. I know it's possible on MTB cranksets, so I'm hoping I can do it on my road bike too. I bought the bike for $200 so I don't want to start dumping more money into it than I really have to. Any feedback is appreciated and thanks in advance!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I guess you could block off the granny with the low stop screw and set it up double from there. Never tried, but I think it would work.

Never Give Up!
    It can be done, with a little finesse. You need to block off the granny with the low stop screw and set it up double from there.

But I also went from a 8spd to a 10spd switching both derailleurs as well. I needed to put shims in between outer ring (larger) and what was the middle ring in order to accommodate the new chain and front derailleur throw. I used copper washers (about 1/8th thick)... worked perfect.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the feedback!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Let's take a step back here.

What shifters do you have? If you are searching for "triple shifter hoods" that would explain why you can't find anything.
    Perhaps the hoods for your shifter are impossible to find. But jumping right to a new full groupset because you can't find hoods sounds a bit crazy (no offence, couldn't think of a polite way to say it)