50/32 gears

Thread: 50/32 gears

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

50/32 gears

So i have 3 bikes.
    The Spec Allez I've ridden for 6 yrs has 52/36 Rear 28/12 (i think? but i'm pretty sure one Sunday long ago I counted them and I also have a gear inches chart.
    This year I bought a Spec Roubaix Elite that I think has Front 50/34 Rear 32/11. Now the Roubaix cost 2x the Allez, is all carbon(weighs 1lb less), but I am positive that is slower than my Allez, by about .5-1 mph.

Why ii that??

Now the Allez is 56cm while the Roubaix is 54cm. When I bought the Roubaix it was last yrs model on deal(so never tried the 56, i'm 5'9"), but it felt right and still feels right after >1,400 miles on it this summer.

But now I'm thinking maybe it's because of the 52 vs 50 front large right??

Does anyone have chart for the various gears on my 50/34 // 32/11??
    And the gear inches so I can do a table for my records?? Maybe I'lll work my way to being as smart as some of you guys with this stuff?

Also, I just bought a gravel Cannondale Slate 105 that also has 50/34 // 32/11 (I think? w/o counting).

Gravel seems to all the "in thing" this summer. After 15 years of me thinking it's pretty dumb to be clipped in while riding rocky, steep, loggy trail - unless you are waiting to get hurt - the world has finally caught up with me. 5 years ago - me - i like to ride forest fire roads - them- you are a wimp, jump that log clipped in!!!

actually, i have 4 bikes. old Trek Fuel mtn bike is hopefully going up for sale today if i get to it.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glenncz View Post
    So i have 3 bikes.
    The Spec Allez I've ridden for 6 yrs has 52/36 Rear 28/12 (i think? but i'm pretty sure one Sunday long ago I counted them and I also have a gear inches chart.
    This year I bought a Spec Roubaix Elite that I think has Front 50/34 Rear 32/11. Now the Roubaix cost 2x the Allez, is all carbon(weighs 1lb less), but I am positive that is slower than my Allez, by about .5-1 mph.

Why ii that??
    Could be a lot of things. When you say slower by .5-1 mph, are you talking about ave speed over a ride, and not just your riding speed?
    What distances are you talking about? What kind of terrain, hilly, flat?

The Allez being heavier and running a 52 ring is going to be faster on the descents.

Your fit is probably completely different on the two bikes. I'd bet you have a more aero fit on the Allez. The Allez has a more aggressive geometry and the Roubaix is more relaxed.
    A 56cm Allex has a TTL of 564mm
    A 54cm Roubaix has a TTL of 545mm

That's a 20mm difference in TTL. You're probably in a more stretched out aero position on the Allez.

After 15 years of me thinking it's pretty dumb to be clipped in while riding rocky, steep, loggy trail - unless you are waiting to get hurt.
    MTB'ers have been clipping in for over 30yrs. It's quite safe.
    Try having your foot slide off a pedal while going over a rocky loggy trail. Bad things will happen.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    >When you say slower by .5-1 mph, are you talking about ave speed over a ride, and not just your riding speed?

i ride about 4 times per week, 1/2 the time on regular routes where I always record/table my ave mph/distance, so i have an apples to apples comparison.

I think it is "the fit", although Roubaix fit seems right, i just feel more powerful on bigger Allez.

The reality of situation is, it really doesn't matter much because I like riding both bikes, and I always place First in my rides (solo!).

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I'm betting it's not the chainrings.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    the 11/32 has bigger jumps between gears than the 12/28 on the big side of the cassette which could slow you down some particularly if you are in an area with longer hills. Are they both 11 speed?

Could be the way you have it set up from a fit standpoint too.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    bigger jumps makes sense a bit.
    also, of course fit could make sense. even though my Roubaix seems to fit right, (I have the seat to pedal even anyway), there could be something off a bit.
    And the Allez has/d 23mm tires, while the Roubaix came with 25mm tires. Maybe the width or tire type if a factor.
    Anyway, at least I like riding the Roubaix, and I have no regrets about buying it. It has 105 compared to Tiagra on Allez and that makes shifting easier for sure.
    Now to complicate matters I just put 25mm gators on my Allez for a gravel bike race (my new gravel Cannondale Slate came in just a day late), and they will stay on for cold weather coming. And my Allez got a bit rusty last year, riding in cold/wet and it got a bit rusty sitting in garage all winter waiting for good days My Roubaix will go to the dry basement come November.
    Now, I expect my Slate with 42mm tires to be a tad slower.
    But it's all good fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's a gear calculator.

Bicycle Gear Calculator

Are the tires comparable? Are the tires built for speed or flat resistance or gravel use and are the same tires, or types of tires, on both bikes?
    Too old to ride plastic