RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018

7-Speed Compatibility - Shimano Integrated Levers

Hi. I'm running a vintage Trek with Shimano Ultegra derailleurs (7 speed rear, 2 speed front) and want to convert the downtube shifters to integrated brake/shift levers. I understand Shimano Sora or RSX will work. Can anyone verify this and perhaps offer model numbers?

If I can get this to work, it'll clear out 2 bikes in my barn, one of which is a vintage Serotta with Dura Ace. I need to pare down my current herd from 6 bikes to perhaps 3. :-)

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Russian Troll Farmer
    If they are 7 speed brifters, yes. If they are 8-sp, probably pretty well. The spacing between cogs is only .2mm different between 7 and 8, so if you set up the derailleur DEAD center on cog #4, the inherent slop SHOULD work with 8-sp brifters.

There are 3 other alternatives you should consider: One is bar-end indexers, either dedicated, or with a bar-end mount for DT indexed shifters. Another are brake levers that integrate DT shifters in the body. Also, the third alternative is to spread the rear dropouts slightly to accept 8-sp, in which you will find a lot more options out there.

What I did for my ,78 Trek 710 is this: I found a nice Ultegra/600 indexed 8-sp DT shifters, Ultegra 8-sp wheelset, and bar-end DT mounts. The frame had already been spread to 128mm, so slipping an 8-sp hub is nothing more than a slight spreading by hand.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018
    Greatly appreciate your help. Sounds like I'll give the integrated shift/brake levers a shot. I appreciate your outlining some options.

For my frame...a 1989 Trek aluminum...I'm a bit wary of spreading the stays. Now on my steel bikes...not to worried, which might lend credence to putting on 10 speed Force heheheh.

Thank you for your reply

'brifter' is a lame word.
    You won't need to spread your stays, your bike is already 130mm.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    I recently got my daughter a Trek around the same vintage as yours. It has the bonded aluminum frame.

For a while they had 127.5/128mm rear dropouts so you could fit either a 126mm or 130mm hub. Thatís what hers has anyways.

Iím using a newer wheelset on her bike. 130mm hub with a Shimano Altus 8 spd cassette. It seems to play just fine with the Dura Ace 7400 STI shifters and rear derailleur.

I think the older STI shifters are pretty cool. The Shimano 600 and Dura Ace 7400. They seem to be well built.

Post some pics of the bikes when you get them up and running.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Keep in mind, Dura-Ace and non DA in that period are incompatible.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    I donít know about the rest of the group, but I though DA 7400 STI shifters and the Shimano 600 STI shifters were the same? They look it at least.

I know my daughters bike has a mix of DA7400 and Shimano 600. With the shifters and RD being 7400, and the FD and the brakes being 600.

Iíll admit I know very little about the older Shimano stuff, and I could be 100% wrong about the compatibility;)