70 mm bars?

Thread: 70 mm bars?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

70 mm bars?

When I built up my last bike, I found that a lot of bars are getting shallower. I think my old tarmac bars had an 85mm reach, but I read that the Zipp service course SL-70 is a “bike fitter’s dream”. I put a pair on the new bike, but I couldn’t find a comfortable place for my hands. I switched to the SL-80.

Have others had better luck? Am I missing something? Are the shallower bars meant for people who ride in the drops all the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    There's only 3mm difference in drop between SL70 and SL80. Doubt you can feel it. Reach is oddly enough 70mm for the 70, and 80mm for the 80.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    So you bought a pair or shallower bars with less reach and they felt like they were shallower and had less reach? That's a real mystery.

Shallow bars with less reach are designed for people who want shallow bars with less reach.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    Are the shallower bars meant for people who ride in the drops all the time?
    Yes, they are for people who want to ride in the drops. With a shallow drop, it is easier to get onto the drops without straining your back. I love them. I ride with a lot of people who never... never get in the drops, they should just cut them off!!!!
    Also one needs to check the lenght of the drops, alot of the bars have very short flat sections on the drops, if you ride in the drops, I do not recommend those bars, check them closely before purchase.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Also one needs to check the lenght of the drops, alot of the bars have very short flat sections on the drops, if you ride in the drops, I do not recommend those bars, check them closely before purchase.
    This has been one of the biggest issues on almost all bars I have tried in last 10 years.
    Noone makes deep bars with long reach and long horizontal flat section anymore.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by smokva; 01-30-2020 at 02:37 PM.
    Ante Smokrovic

2009 De Rosa Neo Pro - Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, Sella, Gardena, Campalongo, Falzarego, Valparola, San Pellegrino, Valles, Staulanza, Vršič, Mangart, Furcia...

2003 De Rosa Team - Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo, Bonette, Agnel, Izoard, Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, San Pellegrino, Staulanza, Manghen, Vršič, Učka, Mangart, Biokovo, Eisentalhöhe, Schonfeld, Schiestelscharte, Flattnitz...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    So you bought a pair or shallower bars with less reach and they felt like they were shallower and had less reach? That's a real mystery.

Shallow bars with less reach are designed for people who want shallow bars with less reach.
    That’s not what I mean. The bend on top behind the hoods feels too tight to rest my hands on.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    That’s not what I mean. The bend on top behind the hoods feels too tight to rest my hands on.

Your first post didn't do a good job at explaining this.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Perhaps the bend at the bar feels to tight to rest your hands on because the bend at the bar is to tight to rest your hands on?

I really have no idea what you are getting at other than telling us different bars are different and you like some and not others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I really don't ride much with the hands in that bend, only when I anticipate braking and I'm going downhill FAST. On the flats, I'm all the way down on the drops, or hoods, or top.
    They do have bars that have no flats in the drops, they just keep bending and never really have a flat part. I think those would be better for you.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I tend to move my hands around a bit when I ride. I hold onto the horizontal part behind the shifters, I rest my hands lightly on the backs of the hoods so sides of my palms are resting on the horizontal part, I grip the hoods or the flats when I'm climbing out of the saddle, and I ride in the drops when I'm descending or going above 20mph.

The 70mm bars bring the drops closer and makes that more comfortable, but they make the first two positions uncomfortable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Sounds like what you want is a shorter stem with a longer reach bars, simple.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Unfortunately you can't change reach of the bars just like that and compensate it with stem. That way you are changing position of flat part of the bar (coming out from the stem). Two cm back or forth is a big change...I don't know about others but that's one of positions i use and i like it to be in certain position.
    Regarding bar reach, my preference is at least 85 mm, anything less and i feel like there is no enough space for my hands or that I'm loosing some positions....i tend to use 5 different positions on handlebars...3 of them in hoods. I tried 75 mm bars few times and I hated them...worst ever was Vision Metron 5d with a minimum space for hands, much less than you would conclude from its reach...its because of that ridiculous top angle of it.
    So for me everything leads to traditional deep bars.
    Best fitting bars I have found are Deda deep bars with 95 mm reach and drop of 145...lower part in drops could be more horizontal and longer...but it's still best I know. Another good one is Fizik Snake. And more or less that's it for me.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by smokva; 01-31-2020 at 04:36 PM.
    Ante Smokrovic

2009 De Rosa Neo Pro - Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, Sella, Gardena, Campalongo, Falzarego, Valparola, San Pellegrino, Valles, Staulanza, Vršič, Mangart, Furcia...

2003 De Rosa Team - Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo, Bonette, Agnel, Izoard, Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, San Pellegrino, Staulanza, Manghen, Vršič, Učka, Mangart, Biokovo, Eisentalhöhe, Schonfeld, Schiestelscharte, Flattnitz...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I think it is just that simple.
    BANNED