700x28 clincher tire widths
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

700x28 clincher tire widths

My bike came with Clement Strada LGG 700x28 but I had to replace one tire with a Continental Grand Race 700x28. My Continental tire did not have enough clearance causing it to rub against the frame. I was told by my local LBS that Continental's run slighter larger in width than my Clements. I was told to stick with my Clements but I didn't get as much wear out of them that I would have liked so I made the switch. Any suggestions on other tires that are similar in width to my Clements. I do not want to go to 25's but I have to be careful because frame clearance is tight. Thx...

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Since it's been all day since you posted and haven't got any replies you might want to try the proper section of the forum...oddly enough known as 'wheels/tires'.
    #promechaniclife

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Since it's been all day since you posted and haven't got any replies you might want to try the proper section of the forum...oddly enough known as 'wheels/tires'.
    Actually, this sort of post happens so frequently that I think we need a new subforum titled "People asking about miniscule width differences within one tire size". Either that, or "People trying to cram the widest tire into their frame"....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by hartley1 View Post
    My bike came with Clement Strada LGG 700x28 but I had to replace one tire with a Continental Grand Race 700x28. My Continental tire did not have enough clearance causing it to rub against the frame. I was told by my local LBS that Continental's run slighter larger in width than my Clements. I was told to stick with my Clements but I didn't get as much wear out of them that I would have liked so I made the switch. Any suggestions on other tires that are similar in width to my Clements. I do not want to go to 25's but I have to be careful because frame clearance is tight. Thx...
    Why not just go with the Continental 25s? I have Gatorskins and they are great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Gatorskins are great?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Actually, this sort of post happens so frequently that I think we need a new subforum titled "People asking about miniscule width differences within one tire size". Either that, or "People trying to cram the widest tire into their frame"....
    Yep.. 28's taint always 28. The Gp5000 are darn close though.
    rotate avatar left for correct road fit position

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    Yeah, the GP5000 seems to be more true to size than the old GP4000, at least on "normal" 17-20mm road rims. I have a set of 32s on 19.5mm rims that's a touch over 32mm.

Another tire that I've had good luck with is the Specialized S-Works Turbo 28. On my 18mm rims, it's right at 28mm. Very durable, great ride, not too expensive, and simple tubeless setup as well.

It'd be nice if manufacturers would list the actual size based on a few different rim widths, but that's not going to happen. Luckily newer road frames can take a wider range of tire widths, so it's less of an issue these days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Formerly Clement now Donnelly. You didn't seem to have a liking to those tires, maybe first experience wasn't so good. I've liked them.
    I've also liked Maxxis and Vittoria.
    Personally I stay away from Specialized. Too much hyped cost, and they've never lasted long for me.
    I would also stay away from Hutchinson. I had a set that didn't even make a month.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by oberwil View Post
    Formerly Clement now Donnelly. You didn't seem to have a liking to those tires, maybe first experience wasn't so good. I've liked them.
    I've also liked Maxxis and Vittoria.
    Personally I stay away from Specialized. Too much hyped cost, and they've never lasted long for me.
    I would also stay away from Hutchinson. I had a set that didn't even make a month.
    I concur with you on all counts here.

I had a pair of Specialized hybrid tires. One developed a bubble which blew out - luckily after the end of a ride!

I had a pair of Hutchinsons which came stock on a road bike. They didn't even make 1000 miles before the rear wore out.
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I had a pair of Hutchinsons which came stock on a road bike. They didn't even make 1000 miles before the rear wore out.
    When you say "wore out" do you mean that casing was just starting to show through the tread? This is how to define worn out. Lots of people say their tires are worn out when they see a flattening of the tread. I've had people give me tires for testing that they said were "worn out" and I've ridden them another 1500 miles before the casing started to show through the tread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

tire width

casing was showing

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    When you say "wore out" do you mean that casing was just starting to show through the tread?
    Affirmative.
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Affirmative.
    Amazing. I regularly get 4K miles out of Conti GP 4000 IIs tires under my 175 lb. I don't out out massive power, but I can't imagine how soft or thin a tread must be to wear out in 1000 miles. It takes over 300 miles for the mold flash to wear off a new Conti tire on my front wheel.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Amazing. I regularly get 4K miles out of Conti GP 4000 IIs tires under my 175 lb. I don't out out massive power, but I can't imagine how soft or thin a tread must be to wear out in 1000 miles. It takes over 300 miles for the mold flash to wear off a new Conti tire on my front wheel.
    Contis are not Hutchinsons. Granted that it might have been a low end Hutchinson model given it was a stock tire on a new bike (I don't remember the exact model), but even then I would expect more than 1000 miles out of it.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    As you have discovered, the stated width of a tire often does NOT equal the width of the tire when mounted. Many makes & model tires mount wider than their stated size, particularly on some rims. Some 25's measure closer to 28 when mounted. My 25 Conti GP 4000's run 27.2 mm actual width on the wheel.

FWIW- My wife has had good luck with (Vittoria) Zaffiro Pro's. She has over 2500mi on the rear tire with limited signs of wear and (25 size) it measures 25.4mm wide on a standard 19.5mm (ext width) rim. So close to stated width.