9 Speed Cassette with 11 speed Hub
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

9 Speed Cassette with 11 speed Hub

Working on a bike for my son and trying to get two wheelsets set up so that he can easily change from gravel to road use. 135 spacing and 9 speed drivetrain WITH DISC BRAKES and everything was going fine until I mounted the cassette on the second wheelset and ran through the gears on the workstand. The chain would not go up to the big cog and dropped off the small cog, indicating that the cogs were sitting further in toward the center of the hub than on the other wheel. One spacer behind the cassette did not move it out enough to correct the problem and using two does not allow enough room on the freehub body to mount the last cog and install the lock ring. Thought about using axle washers to shift the position of the entire hub/freehub/cassette assembly, but decided that would also cause the position of the rotor to shift so that it would no longer align in the caliper.
    I was puzzled by all of this until I remembered that the wheelset was from an 11-speed bike which apparently has the cassette positioned inward of where the 8-9-10 speed freehub typically sits to allow for the extra width of the 11-speed cassette.
    I'm considering replacing the current hub with a 8-9-10 speed hub to get things to work but would rather avoid the time and the added expense of new spokes. Alternatively, I tell my son that he'll have to switch tires when he wants to switch between a gravel and road setup, or possibly adjust the limit screws on the rear derailleur to compensate - neither of which is desirable if you want a quick/easy changeover.
    If it wasn't a disc hub, I think I could pull it off, but that complicates things since the rotor alignment has to match the other wheelset and caliper. Any suggestions that I haven't thought of?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    You don't need a new hub. You just need the right spacer. My guess is you're using a 1mm spacer, but you need a 1.85mm spacer.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    You don't need a new hub. You just need the right spacer. My guess is you're using a 1mm spacer, but you need a 1.85mm spacer.

Thx for the reply. Actually, I installed a 2.5mm spacer and that did not move the cassette out far enough.
    I tried an additional ~1-1.5 mm spacer and then I couldn't attach the smallest cog and lock ring. Forgot to mention that the wheel is from a 2016 Specialized Crux with the rim labeled "Axix 2.0 SCS" and hub labeled "Axis" so I'm thinking those are DT Swiss components made for Specialized and possibly to Specialized's specs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Original Poster here - just thinking that substituting a 8-9-10 spd freehub for the 11 that is currently installed might be a better solution than lacing in an entirely new hub. I have a complete hub that I could use (would need new spokes) but it's a Stans brand and I doubt that the freewheel could be moved over to the Axis hub. Not certain of that though.