9 speed shimano chainrings OK w/ 8 speed drivetrain?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

9 speed shimano chainrings OK w/ 8 speed drivetrain?

I'm running a Dura ace 8 speed hyperglide drivetrain vintage mid-90s with an 8 speed shimano hyperglide chain and was looking to replace the chainrings - nashbar has a good deal on ultegra 9 speed chainrings, $24.95 for the big ring and $14.95 for the little ring. Is there any problem using these? Iis it necessary to use spacers in the chainring bolts to widen the distance between the chainrings? I don't mind a slight loss in front shifting performance, I don't race anymore.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003

No Problem

the rings should work fine, use the spacers on the chain bolts and everything should work great. Thats a great deal on the rings.

trying to HTFU...
    Quote Originally Posted by roadboy
    the rings should work fine, use the spacers on the chain bolts and everything should work great. Thats a great deal on the rings.
    what roadboy said... i just replaced the chainrings on my 1991 DA too - from 53/39 to
    FSA pro road 50t and salsa 38t, used the old bolts and everything works great.
    i also got a new chain and cassette(12-25) to replace the 13-23. you should consider
    getting a new chain as well.
    Improving on self-torture for more than 3.6^2 years.